Nitecore P12 (XM-L2; 950 Lumens)

GWC3

Newly Enlightened
any estimates of how it will perform (output and runtimes) with cr123a primaries?

Waymed

Newly Enlightened
USPS delivered my P12 (with a pair of KeepPower 18650 3400 batteries) about 30 mins. ago from Illumination Supply.

A few observations with this minimum play period......

1. The feel and finish is very good.
2. Comparing my PD35 vs. the P12 at 20 ft. from my basement wall........... at max lumens, the pd35 seems slightly brighter (overall) with a larger diameter of the spill (I expected this diameter as the P12 claims to throw more). Both lights were about the same length.
3. The hoster has a loose fit (a good thing).
4. I like the tactical ring (however, using this with the ring, the light does not go all the way into holster by about 5/8"....(no problem for me as the holster closed fine...plenty od velco).
5. My new KeepPower 18650's worked fine in the light. The Eagletec 18650 3400's that are in my PD35 and my Zebralight SC600 MkII, did not work on this light (the same as in my EC25)...however another (un-used) Eagletec 3400 did work as well as my Eagletec 3100 (I left the 3100 in this light). The Orbtronic 3400 worked also.)
6. The pocket clip seemed fine (I use this to help find the button in the dark).
7. It will stand vertical...though not totally solid.
8. All functions operated as indicated in the manual.

At this point in time, I am very satisfied.......I plan to use it tonight walking the dog in the woods and in a field..

Last edited:

Liquid Zero

Newly Enlightened
USPS delivered my P12 (with a pair of KeepPower 18650 3400 batteries) about 30 mins. ago from Illumination Supply.

A few observations with this minimum play period......

1. The feel and finish is very good.
2. Comparing my PD35 vs. the P12 at 20 ft. from my basement wall........... at max lumens, the pd35 seems slightly brighter (overall) with a larger diameter of the spill (I expected this diameter as the P12 claims to throw more).
3. The hoster has a loose fit (a good thing).
4. I like the tactical ring (however, using this with the ring, the light does not go all the way into holster by about 5/8"....(no problem for me).
5. My new KeepPower 18650's worked fine in the light. The Eagletec 18650 3400's that are in my PD35 and my Zebralight SC600 MkII, did not work on this light (the same as in my EC25)...however another (un-used) Eagletec 3400 did work as well as my Eagletec 3100 (I left the 3100 in this light). The Orbtronic 3400 worked also.)
6. The pocket clip seemed fine (I use this to help find the button in the dark).
7. It will stand vertical...though not totally solid.

At this point in time, I am very satisfied.......I plan to use it tonight walking the dog in the woods and in a field..

WOOT! Everyone in this discussion is going to bombard you with questions. Pictures man! We need pictures! Also how would you compare the security and sturdiness of the clip to the clip on the fenix? Will it stay attached to the light and stay in your belt like the fenix?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
2. Comparing my PD35 vs. the P12 at 20 ft. from my basement wall........... at max lumens, the pd35 seems slightly brighter (overall) with a larger diameter of the spill (I expected this diameter as the P12 claims to throw more). Both lights were about the same length.
Forget the spill, what about throw and hotspot? ;)

Waymed

Newly Enlightened
WOOT! Everyone in this discussion is going to bombard you with questions. Pictures man! We need pictures! Also how would you compare the security and sturdiness of the clip to the clip on the fenix? Will it stay attached to the light and stay in your belt like the fenix?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The clips on the PD35 and the P12 are about the same.

A poor cellphone picture....

20131204_150532_zps1080ea38.jpg

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
AHH! Mine was just shipped out today, I'm so impatient.

weklund

Enlightened
My P12 just arrived. First impressions are excellent.
Indoor wall hunting is very promising. Beam profile is very nice and clean. Big hotspot with plenty of spill. No artifacts or rings.
Tint, I would describe as, creamy neutral .... I am very pleased with the tint. I think this beauty will throw like crazy. Tonight will tell.
I will not attempt to review this light as I will leave that to the experts.
All I can say is that I think the P12 is an ideal Tactical type light with plenty of utility and options for use.

P121.jpg

P122.jpg

P123.jpg

P124.jpg

P125.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
Great pics weklund,how would you say on using as an edc? size wise,looks passable from pics
Thanks

GodIsLight

Newly Enlightened
Grats weklund! Nice pics! Mines on the way!

So hows the step down sequence? How hot?

Hows the grip? Button easy to feel while not looking for it etc?

weklund

Enlightened
Great pics weklund,how would you say on using as an edc? size wise,looks passable from pics
Thanks

IMHO I would not hesitate to carry this light on a daily basis. Very similar in size to my P32UE. The output options are incredible. Tail switch last mode memory, momentary and hard press body switch for strobe makes this a very nice defensive light. Blindingly bright and on the other hand up to 520 hours of run time. I installed the finger grip and clip and both are sturdy and comfortable. I would highly recommend this light.

P126.jpg

Last edited:

weklund

Enlightened
Grats weklund! Nice pics! Mines on the way!

So hows the step down sequence? How hot?

Hows the grip? Button easy to feel while not looking for it etc?

Output spacing is spot on. I just ran the light on high for 4 minutes and did not notice a drop in output. Head temp got up to 97 degrees F. I would describe this as warm not overly hot. The grip is tapered on the finger side and very comfortable. Mode button is easy to locate as it is slightly raised on the head. Quality of build is superb. Mode button rubber switch cover is a perfect fit and seems to be made of a very durable material. I am very happy with all my Nitecore gear.

Nitecore includes a nicely made nylon carry case with the P12. Hooked mine up to my briefcase via the Molle attachment.

P127.jpg

P128.jpg

P129.jpg

Last edited:

weklund

Enlightened
Wow, EC25 is smaller than I thought. With P12's emitter and electronics it would be my perfect light:takeit:Shame it will never happen...:thumbsdow

EC25 is an incredible light. Truly a pocket searchlight. Tons of throw and great beam profile. I have Both CW and NW .... love um.

Waymed

Newly Enlightened
Just returned from the field and woods walking my dog.

The P12 felt very solid and comfy.

The hot spot was smaller than the PD35 and the spill was very usable. The color seemed very good...not cool white but closer to neutral white.
I aimed the light at some trees about 180-200 meters across a field......the trees were illuminated....decent throw for a small light.

I am glad it has a moonlight setting and the memory even works on the first strobe position.

I like it better than my P16 for a EDC light. This is a keeper!

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just returned from the field and woods walking my dog.

The P12 felt very solid and comfy.

The hot spot was smaller than the PD35 and the spill was very usable. The color seemed very good...not cool white but closer to neutral white.
I aimed the light at some trees about 180-200 meters across a field......the trees were illuminated....decent throw for a small light.

Thanks! Did the PD35 light up those same trees also (I assume you had it since you compared hotspot sizes)? If the P12 lit them up more brightly, was it close? Is the P12 a clear step up in throw? thanks in advance!

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe that's how they work. Now they rate their newest thrower at below 95kcd and it does at least 50% more.
EC25 is an incredible light. Truly a pocket searchlight. Tons of throw and great beam profile. I have Both CW and NW .... love um.
It lacks one thing - low mode. P12 has one. EC25 with low mode and XM-L2 would be perfect.
Was it also more intense?

Latest posts