Nitecore P12GT (XP-L HI V3, 1x18650 or 2x(R)CR123A) Review

martosound

Newly Enlightened
Hi, Everybody!

Thank's for the review. :twothumbs
Have anyone measuring the real peak beam intensity with luxmeter? :drool:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes its a 27k CD light. NC has changed their CD figures to that on their site. Been duplicated in independent tests on BLF. Still for a light the GT's size 27k CD is staggering. I love mine to death. The first thermally regulated P12 to boot! Although I never had any delay issue with the switch I did find it a bit to squishy like there was more than a millimeter between the underside of the boot and the switch itself. So I switched out the original GT switch with the switch boot from a PD35. Now its nice and properly tight. Switch control is immediate and far more intuitive now.

Only real con with the GT is the lack of a 5th mode. Feels weird just having 4 main modes but hey the performance is so stellar I can live with it.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
Hi, Everybody!

Thank's for the review. :twothumbs
Have anyone measuring the real peak beam intensity with luxmeter? :drool:

Nitecore specs:
Max Output
1000 lumens
Max Beam Distance
320 m
Max Beam Intensity
25700 cd

Measured on mine 6260 lux at 2m: 25048cd with ncr18650B cell. I should repeat the test with Sanyo 3500mAh GA.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh man! Whats up Gyzmo! I still dont have a lux meter yet I just cannot decide between them for now. You should absolutely get some Keeppower GA's, a pair of Duracell lithium CR123's and a pair of Keeppower 700mah 16340's. 100% that you get different readings from each power source. Hell Ibe got a pair of red efest unprotected IMR 18350's on the way to me on the suggestion of a couple of CPFers.

Ive got the space to do proper lux testing its just whenever Im about to pull the trigger on one I suddenly start seeing all these horrible reviews by experienced flashaholics. In the mail today I will be getting 3 840mah Keeppower 14500's for my ET GX25A3 and 4 bare flat top unprotected Sanyo GA's. Already have the Keeppower GA's, 16340's and a very large box of very fresh L91 AA's. It all does make a difference be it little or a sudden extra 150 lumens and 25% more run time etc.

Oh how is your Armytek saga going? I now have 9 AT's. Getting half of them was a PITA. They either came with no manual at all or the ones that did come with a manual came with a totally outdated manual meant for different firmware. I scored a perfect condition V2.5 Pred Pro CW new old stock it is flawless. I love it.

jedi_master

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore specs:
Max Output
1000 lumens
Max Beam Distance
320 m
Max Beam Intensity
25700 cd

Measured on mine 6260 lux at 2m: 25048cd with ncr18650B cell. I should repeat the test with Sanyo 3500mAh GA.

Yeah, I too am curious to know the difference in performance with the GA cell.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
Since the Evva doesn't fit in my Armytek's, I buy GA unprotected...cheaper. I have some LG MJ1 that are about the same as the Sanyo. When I will have some time, I will repeat this test with the GA. 🙂

Since I have a Dobermann and a Predator, I doesnt use the GT anymore.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a lot of fresh unprotected GA's wanted to put one in the GT but its got that anti flat top black plastic disc around the positive pole and Im not about to void the warranty by pulling it off. Hmmm. Gyzmo you dont use your GT anymore? It all depends on what I am wearing any particular day as to which light I carry thus the GT gets used as well as my now 9 Armyteks etc. I put two efest flat top red 18350's in my XB-H Pred and max is like more than 100 lumens more than it was on a GA. Very impressed. Now have the NW and CW Preds, Dobermanns and Viking Pros. Took a lot of back and forth with AT to get things correct but hey finally got them all to work right. Think Ive got enough lights for awhile. Oh and the GT needs a 5th main mode.

jedi_master

Newly Enlightened
Since the Evva doesn't fit in my Armytek's, I buy GA unprotected...cheaper. I have some LG MJ1 that are about the same as the Sanyo. When I will have some time, I will repeat this test with the GA. ��

Since I have a Dobermann and a Predator, I doesnt use the GT anymore.

I have MH20GT and went with Klarus XT11S instead of P12GT for tactical usage and I am happy with my purchase. I am still interested to know the performance differences if any with the GA battery.

As for Dobermann, do you really trust their throw number? I have yet to see any review that confirms their number. Besides, I am not thrill with their twist UI which requires two hands operation. I love MH20GT and XT11S because I can get instant turbo from any mode with one hand operation.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
I have MH20GT and went with Klarus XT11S instead of P12GT for tactical usage and I am happy with my purchase. I am still interested to know the performance differences if any with the GA battery.

As for Dobermann, do you really trust their throw number? I have yet to see any review that confirms their number. Besides, I am not thrill with their twist UI which requires two hands operation. I love MH20GT and XT11S because I can get instant turbo from any mode with one hand operation.

For my Dobermann Pro XP-L HI readings: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/416699
Post#30

Armytek: 50.6kcd
My unit: 48.6kcd with LGMJ1

Predator Pro XP-L HI:
Armytek:72.8kcd
My unit: 59.0kcd with LGMJ1

For the P-12GT and the GA, I will try to do it this week.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find my GT consistent with NC specs all around. Still wish it had 5 main modes. I actually got one of my new unprotected flat top GA's to work in the GT! Works great! As for my 2 Dobermanns they both seem consistent with AT's specs which is surprising but pleasant. I now have 4 Predators. I have both the CW and NW or "warm" white XP-L HI Pro's, a non Pro XB-H Pred and a mint condition XPG2 V2.5 Pred Pro. They all seem to meet or beat the max output specs. I ordered the 2x18650 tube from the new Barracuda and currently have it set up on the warm Pred Pro XP-L HI and as well regulated as these lights are there is totally 100% a solid output increase at max running 2xKeeppower GA's. 59k CD seems very believable. Ordered 2 more Barracuda tubes to experiment with. In the mean time I have my warm Dobermann Pro HI set up 2x18350, my XB-H Pred 2x18350 and they both 100% have an output increase at max. The GT seems to have a touch more all around as well on the unprotected GA.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
wrong choice with the GT? Hell no you did not make a wrong choice it is the best P12 so far. It is thermally regulated, has all the bells and whistles the competition does not. The GT's beam is very very well done. Just get a Keeppower or Orbtronic 3500mah 10amp 18650 for it these are button top cells. My flat top GA works in the light out of pure luck. It comes with a tactical ring you can add so you can do cigar grip holds on the light. Took mine off as it did not pocket well with it on. So you will have it all. A cigar tube size light that rocks 1000 lumens at max if you want, SOS, Strobe,Beacon and voltage readout. Hope you have a good charger like an Xtar...

RemcoM

Enlightened
wrong choice with the GT? Hell no you did not make a wrong choice it is the best P12 so far. It is thermally regulated, has all the bells and whistles the competition does not. The GT's beam is very very well done. Just get a Keeppower or Orbtronic 3500mah 10amp 18650 for it these are button top cells. My flat top GA works in the light out of pure luck. It comes with a tactical ring you can add so you can do cigar grip holds on the light. Took mine off as it did not pocket well with it on. So you will have it all. A cigar tube size light that rocks 1000 lumens at max if you want, SOS, Strobe,Beacon and voltage readout. Hope you have a good charger like an Xtar...

My Cr123 A batteries, are getting very hot, inside my p12 gt....is that ok? Not negative for the batteries, and the light?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you are using the higher settings then the light is going to get warm and hot regardless of what battery you have in it. Thats just how powerful these 1000 lumen lights are. Now using 2xCR123's you are feeding the light 6 volts as opposed to an 18650's 4.2v. The light is very well regulated so the voltage it does not use gets expended out as heat. The light is fine using 2xCR123's is fine although you get shorter run times with CR123's. Now the output difference between high and turbo is pretty wide I believe it goes from 380 on high to 1000 lumens on turbo. I use the 380 setting around the house the second I go outside Im cranking it full blast and just watching in awe as this PD35 category light lights up things two and a half times farther away than anything else in the class I love it.

The light is thermally regulated. When it gets hot enough its programmed to throttle down until temperature becomes acceptable again. When your 2xCR123 GT gets hot it will slowly throttle back the output to cool down. Most people dont even notice when this happens. No no negatives for the batteries or the light. One thing that some manufacturers recommend you do when the light gets hot even with thermal regulation is to clench the light in your fist which then becomes a natural heat sink and speeds up the throttle down to cool off function.

Even though the light is rated for CR123's I highly advise getting a pair of 3500mah 10amp protected Keeppower, Orbtronic or EVVA cells and of course a good charger. The light wont get as hot as those cells max at 4.2v and you still get optimal performance and much better run time.

Latest posts