Nitecore SRT3 - What's not to love?

Rufhausen

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post. I'm looking to an EDC flashlight under $100 and from my research (here, youtube(not much there yet in English), Nitecore site), it appears that the Nitecore SRT3 is the perfect fit. However, having not purchased a flashlight before for this purpose, I could be missing something.

Here are the particulars:

Budget: as stated, under $100

Uses:

• EDC
  • Walks at night in neighborhood with a healthy rattlesnake/critter population
  • Backpacking/Camping
  • Self-Defense. Not a primary concern, but you never know.

Size perference:

• Fits easily in pocket with or without clip
  • Fits into palm of hand with maybe a slight extrusion

What I like about the SRT3:

• Sizing appears to be perfect
  • Impressive top end in terms of brightness while having infinite control
  • Deep carry pocket clip location
  • multiple battery options
  • might get some use out of the red light while camping, etc.

From reading here, it seems like the concerns people have mostly have to do with the UI and it having too many modes that might get in the way. I like my gadgets, so having many modes to play around with is fine with me.

So in addition to whatever I may not have thought of, my question is, can I easily and dependably set it to turbo or high mode (and just leave it that way without having to re-adjust) and always have that available for momentary light using a half click?

Thanks.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF! :) SRT3 seems to fit your requirements very well. I think you can always leave it on turbo - not sure how tight the ring is but even if it rotates accidentally on occasion when in your pocket, with that kind of UI I think you should be able to put it back to turbo (or close to it) from off!

Rufhausen

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF! :) SRT3 seems to fit your requirements very well. I think you can always leave it on turbo - not sure how tight the ring is but even if it rotates accidentally on occasion when in your pocket, with that kind of UI I think you should be able to put it back to turbo (or close to it) from off!

Thanks, that's the main thing I was worried about. I don't mind additional features, gimmicks, options, etc. as long as it doesn't interfere with the primary function of the device, which in this case for me will be to quickly illuminate and de-illuminate an area without accidentally putting on a light show with a strobe/red/blue, etc. first. :)

The other functions will get use, but only a small fraction of the time.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I just got my SRT3 a week and a half ago. So far it I like it. Enough so that I am taking it out on my next rotation of 18 days flying. One of the reasons I chose the SRT3 over the SRT5 or even the SRT7 was that it didn't have as many modes, most of which I would never use. The ring moves easily but I don't think it will move while in your pocket. You can slide the ring to any position you like while it is off and it will switch on in that mode. Learning the modes and positions is easy enough. As for all your stated uses, I think it will work just fine.

I am using mine in the single AA mode.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Hi guys, I'd just like to ask, do your srt3's shut off suddenly when the battery is out? I got mine with a high discharge and protected 650mah rcr123a from nitecore.

It just shut off without warning (guessing the battery is low) but would turn back on when I click it off then back on. Has this happened to anyone here?

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Check your battery's voltage.

I put the battery in a different light and it acted the same way, suddenly shut off. Im concerned though, shouldnt the nitecore give a low battery warning before shutting off? Theres nothing in the manual stating a low bat indicator...

Rufhausen

Newly Enlightened
Looking thru the manuals for the SRT series, the SRT6 and SRT7 list the following under features:
"Multi-functional power indicator light displays low battery status"

However, this feature is not mentioned in the features list for either the SRT5 or SRT3.
So I guess we are out of luck when it comes to the SRT3. I rotate between two RCR123s regularly, so it hasn't been a problem me yet.

Manuals: http://www.nitecore.com/support.aspx?page=1&cid=122

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Looking thru the manuals for the SRT series, the SRT6 and SRT7 list the following under features:
"Multi-functional power indicator light displays low battery status"

However, this feature is not mentioned in the features list for either the SRT5 or SRT3.
So I guess we are out of luck when it comes to the SRT3. I rotate between two RCR123s regularly, so it hasn't been a problem me yet.

Manuals: http://www.nitecore.com/support.aspx?page=1&cid=122

Thanks, Rufhausen. Sadly, we don't have that indicator. I wish nitecore had utilized the red/blue secondary led as a battry statis/low battery warning indicator. Would've been much more useful that way... Can anybody confirm if the srt3 has a low battery warning?

HaileStorm

Enlightened
The low-battery warning probably only works with CR123 primaries, because they have a lower voltage to start with.

That makes sense... I just want to be sure that the light is functioning normally while I can still have it exchanged due to defect.

My battery is that of a high drain and protected rcr123 from nitecore. That said, my aw 18650 protected, although not high drain I think, allows my other lights to give off a low battery warning. So im wondering why the same cant be said with the nitecore rcr123? Or is it because the light really doesnt have a low battery warning?

HaileStorm

Enlightened
UPDATE: I ran down a sanyo eneloop with the srt3. The light just flickers on high, no low battery indication. Can anyone confirm the same thing?

koolranch

Newly Enlightened
I own this light and the srt6. My only complaint is the position if the settings. I would prefer the ramping to be the first position not the fifth. Other than that I really like the light. The srt6 is my favorite light. No color modes and a wall of blinding light. Very impressive light.

radiopej

Enlightened
Bought it for a friend, he asked me to check it beforehand. I loved it. If you want a small light with great control on brightness and a clicky, it's close to perfect. I really loved being able to set brightness from off.

The coloured LEDs have artifacts in the beam, so maybe not perfect if you'll use it constantly for that purpose.

Takes either a nice battery choice, AA or CR123 (even more bright when rechargeables are used)

The guy loves his so far and that's just on primary CR123s.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Bought it for a friend, he asked me to check it beforehand. I loved it. If you want a small light with great control on brightness and a clicky, it's close to perfect. I really loved being able to set brightness from off.

The coloured LEDs have artifacts in the beam, so maybe not perfect if you'll use it constantly for that purpose.

Takes either a nice battery choice, AA or CR123 (even more bright when rechargeables are used)

The guy loves his so far and that's just on primary CR123s.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4

I'm totally happy with mine but it's just that I find it weird that the light doesnt come with a low battery warning. I love this light to bits but i'd appreciate a warning before the light shuts off completely.

eff

Enlightened
UPDATE: I ran down a sanyo eneloop with the srt3. The light just flickers on high, no low battery indication. Can anyone confirm the same thing?

The flickering could be a low battery warning.
It could also be caused by a bad contact between the battery top button and the flashlight head. In this case, after switching the light on, just lock out the light by unscrewing the head until the light is out. Then screw it back on. The flickering should have disappeared.