Nitecore SRT6

koolranch

Newly Enlightened
I just got this light today and it is awesome. Fit finish and function. I own a lot of lights and this one is now my favorite. I can't wait to try it out tonight. I got it for 75 bucks.

raiderkilo

Newly Enlightened
Cargo Pants - Yea / Bluejeans will be tight for sure.

I have been stuck trying to decide between the SRT6 and 7. I just came to the conclusion that I would be happy with the 6 for great white light and also go with the SRT3 for a pocket light with the bonus of a colored LED.

Same here

Sent from my* Sony Xperia™ smartphone

uetecu

Newly Enlightened
I got the SRT7 because of the tighter hotspot and the longer throw. If that makes a difference to you.

If the SRT7 hotspot is tighter does that mean the SRT6 is floodier? Everyone seems to just talk about the SRT7.

Prices here is AUS are expensive.. US$100 for SRT6 and US$120 for SRT7.

If anyone know a good US reseller that ships to AUS at reasonable prices I would love to know..

Thx guys :wave:

JohnSmith

Enlightened
If the SRT7 hotspot is tighter does that mean the SRT6 is floodier?

The SRT7 is a little tighter than the SRT6; the SRT6 is slighty more diffuse than the SRT7. However, the SRT6 is not floody. It still has a lot of reach.

uetecu

Newly Enlightened
The SRT7 is a little tighter than the SRT6; the SRT6 is slighty more diffuse than the SRT7. However, the SRT6 is not floody. It still has a lot of reach.

You are spot on, thanks for that.
I tried both side by side and its exactly as you described. The SRT6 beam intensity is noticeably lower but still powerful for its size.

corey823

Newly Enlightened
I have been away for a while, but just received my Nitecore SRT6. My previous favorite is my Fenix TK22. This out shines that by a lot. Looks more like a flood than a thrower. I like the ring technology. The size is a little bigger than I imagined. I also ordered the grey. Unsure about the color, but it is different than the black. I am waiting until dark to take it outside, but at first glance, it looks like a winner.

Corey823

Confederate

Enlightened
Having read the reviews of both lights, I chose the SRT7. It surprised me that so many people just brushed the red, green and blue LEDs off as unnecessary for their needs. So they get the SRT6. I mean, it's fine if they're happy, but even if I had NO need for the colored lights, I can't think of any reason to choose the SRT6 over the 7 unless they just don't like the SRT7's spot. After using the Nitecore SRT7 for a couple of months now, I'm hooked on it. Yes, I like the floody light I get from my Klarus ST11 (which is one of my favorite lights), the Nitecore doesn't seem to skimp on anything. The strap that comes with it is a great quality cord, and while the case could be better, many LED high performance flashlights don't come with them these days, and this Nitecore is no slouch. I have a Klarus XT30 that will give me reach, but I don't often need it. If the Nitecore had the flood that the Klarus ST11 did, it would be perfect (for me); though the SRT7 gives both flood and reach, but is not the best in each category.

The low-ball price of $79 (shipped) is very competitive and both the SRT6 and SRT7 have been shown to take water pressures to about 80 feet of water for half an hour and would probably go much longer. And even those who are convinced they'd never use the colored LEDs in the Nitecore, I'm convinced they would soon find uses. (Only SRT7 users could confirm this, however.) Feature for feature, I can't think of any flashlight on the market that is this dependable, this well made and yes, modestly priced. Why any police officer or military personnel would pick a Surefire or other light that sells for much more and does far less, is beyond me.

When I first got my Klarus, it saved my butt a few days later when some clown in an SUV screeched around a corner and headed right for me, my wife and cat while we were taking a walk and headed right for us. The cat, of course, left us for high ground in a heartbeat (presumably to get help), and I had no time to push my wife out of the way. The only thing I had was the Klarus in my right jacket pocket. I only had time to hit the full blast mode, not the strobe as I would have preferred. In the briefest of moments, I saw that the driver was a student from the nearby high school, and that he was right in the middle of texting. Blinded by the light, he swerved away from us and, unable to see a thing, pulled over and waited for his vision to clear up. He didn't exit the vehicle or attempt an apology in any way. He just remained stopped and we moved on with the cat in tow.

It's not often something pays for itself within a week of its purchase, but we would have been splattered even if I had had to remove the light from its case. Fortunately, it was in my hand, and my hand was in my pocket. Had the light been a Nitecore SRT7, we also most likely would have been plastered because of its two-step ready system. Needless to say, but I'll say it anyway, I carry the Nitecore in Standby Mode and ready to use with but a push of a button.

At night, the red light lets me keep my night vision, and though I don't rightly know what the green and blue lights do, they sure are purty! I suspect the red and blue blinking lights could scare off some bad guys, I also suspect they could get one into some trouble if improperly used. Anyway, with crime also on the rise, a small, but good heavy duty flashlight can always be useful.

AbnInfantry

Newly Enlightened
I can't think of any reason to choose the SRT6 over the 7 unless they just don't like the SRT7's spot.

I own, and enjoy, both flashlights. Offhand, I can think of at least three reasons why someone might prefer the SRT6: (1) It has a crenulated bezel, the SRT7 doesn't, (2) the SRT6's smaller diameter head makes it a tad easier to carry, and (3) some folks have no use for the SRT7's colored LEDs.

I suspect the red and blue blinking lights could scare off some bad guys

Those would have to be some pretty lame "bad guys."

Average Joe

Newly Enlightened
I played with the SRT7 for a little bit (it was bought as a present for someone else), and then opted to buy the SRT6 for myself soon after. I am very happy with my decision.
I got the grey version, as I've too many black lights already. I LOVE the color (anodizing) and the "no-brain-required" UI; the size and general feel of the SRT6. It's definitely one of my most used lights (... and I have quite a few) :eek:. If only everything in life were that simple...

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see a few posts where someone decides to get the SRT 6 instead of the 7 because of the colored LEDs. There is little reason those LEDs should be the deciding factor on which light to get. You do not have to use them or cycle through them to use the main led function.
I have the SRT 7 and do not use the colored LEDs at all. I almost forget they are there. I chose the 7 over the 6 because it had beacon mode and a little more throw. A slightly smaller head 6 would have been a plus too.

gapost

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking at a lot of lights and have learned a lot from this site. It's awesome. I found this Nitecore SRT6 and it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for; bright, variable control, single 18650, good to carry on my duty belt and use around the house. Does anyone know if you can use the flat Panasonic 3400mAh batteries? I can live with other ones, but just checking my options.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Does anyone know if you can use the flat Panasonic 3400mAh batteries? I can live with other ones, but just checking my options.

Yes, you'll need to use button top 18650's with the SRT6 because of the recessed, positive terminal at the head. Flat tops will not work in this light.

Glad to hear you're having fun on CPF, it's a really cool forum! :)

Gliderguy

Newly Enlightened
Liking my 6. Would trade the SOS mode for the beacon mode of the 7 and wish for an emitter upgrade to U2 or U3 bin. Otherwise would like to see a 7 sized light with the above plus black light capability instead of RGB colors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed some strange behavior with my SRT6.
If I engage strobe mode, and I rotate the light itself 360degrees (without touching the selector ring obviously) Strobe mode cuts out and is constant on with flickers at one and only one orientation point.
It can be replicated every time I do it.
Also the same with the lowest low mode. When you set that, you can rotate the light the same, it cuts out at all points and will only light up at the rotation point strobe has an issue with.

Just wondering if its only my sample or if they all do the same thing. I thought my sample was busted when I first got it and strobe wouldn't engage, was playing later and it worked fine. I then noticed when I rotated the light as described this would happen.
Also wondering if this issue is not unique to my sample, if any of the other SRT models exhibit the same behavior.

How long did you have the light before it started to act up? Did you return it?

ACruceSalus

Enlightened
How long did you have the light before it started to act up? Did you return it?

I've had my SRT7 for about two weeks. Out of the box when I set it to the lowest lumens and moved the flashlight from pointing down to pointing up it would turn off. It would come back on when I pointed it back down. The ring was not rotated. After about 1 week I could no longer reproduce this.