Nitecore SRT7 (XM-L2 White, 3xRGB - 1x18650 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIME, BEAMSHOTS+

Xiphex

Newly Enlightened
I discovered a hidden mode on the SRT7. I nickname it 'Slow Strobe. To activate it, turn the SRT and set it between Turbo and Strobe. How safe it is on the flashlight and mechanics, I'm not sure.

Cool though.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
once again the SRT7 thread just will not die!!! I have now given my SRT7 to a friend in need of a good light. He freaking loves it. He also made the huge mistake of turning on the cop strobe mode at some guy that cut him off in traffic one night which got him pulled over by military police. Amazingly they did not take the light and let him off with a warning. I have this creeping feeling a SRT line revamp is coming soon the current line up is old tech now.....

TEMPA

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
I only recently discovered this light (I know.... I'm late to the party....) as I was first looking at the MH27 and that research lead me here. Now I am stuck in the no man's land of indecision between going for an MH27 or the SRT7. Looking for some opinions and guidance on this decision if possible please. It looks on the face of it that the SRT ring is more user friendly than the side buttons on the MH27 but I am happy to be convinced either way.
Thanks!

Taz80

Enlightened
The magnetic ring on the Srt7 is a great U.I., its still one of my favorite lights. I leave it in standby when I walk, because its a ring its always under your fingers, no feeling around for a button. Its also good with winter gloves on. If they upgrade this light I would get another in a heartbeat. On the other hand the up and down U.I. of the MH27 is nice, but its sometimes hard to find the buttons even harder with gloves on. The MH27 also throws more than twice as far and the colored leds are much brighter, which makes them more useful. I guess it comes down to which would be more useful to you, greater throw or a more user friendly U.I. When I go out on my walk tonight I'll have them both on me.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only advantage the SRT7 has on the MH27 is the control ring on the 7 is just superior to the multifunction UI buttons on the MH27. Aside from that the MH27 stomps the 7 in every category. MH27 is thermally regulated the SRT7 is timed. The MH27 has easily twice the throw range of the 7. With a good 18650 the SRT7 actually puts 780 lumens out the front. The MH27 is pretty close to being dead on advertised specs. The secondary colored LEDs in the MH27 are easily twice as bright than those on the 7. Of course the MH27 also features built in micro USB charging I never use it on my MH27 just takes to long but its nice to have that option. The grip ring on the 7 does not screw down. No matter how tightly you tighten the tail cap the cheap plastic grip ring is always very loose. The much higher quality grip ring on the MH27 does screw tightly down and is nice and solid feeling. Holster for the MH27 is a bit nicer than the one that comes with the 7. The SRT line is old tech now. As much as I love my SRT6 the line needs a revamp badly.

TEMPA

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input guys. Certainly looks like the MH27 is the winner then. MH27 with the SRT control ring would be unbeatable by the sounds of it! I must admit I was leaning towards to the MH27 as it is the newer of the two but damn I like the idea and function of that control ring!

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore SRT7 (XM-L2 White, 3xRGB - 1x18650 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIME, BE...

Yeah just waiting for SRT7GT....... Now that would be a winner!
But seriously I just bought a second srt7 for my wife as she loves hers so much and knows the UI so well. I was thinking of getting her an MH27 but I know she won't find the buttons in the dark as she uses it every day and night around the house and doesn't care if it puts out 780 or 1000 lumens, UI wins every time.

A couple of other lights I have had my eye on are Klarus RM10 has control ring and waterproof charge port, Klarus FH10 zoom to flood aspheric with a piston type switch in head that moves red green or white LEDs past optics, jetbeam RRT2-color red green blue with selector ring, and maybe Fenix TK32 red green blue but done by tail switch.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nitecore SRT7 (XM-L2 White, 3xRGB - 1x18650 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIME, BE...

SRT7GT would be awesome. The control rings on both my SRT6 and 7 still work flawlessly and are a pleasure to use. RRT2 and TK32 colored emitters are literally half as bright as those of the MH27. Although still full of artifacts the MH27 colored beams are not as big a train wreck of artifacts as the 7.

Taz80

Enlightened
Re: Nitecore SRT7 (XM-L2 White, 3xRGB - 1x18650 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIME, BE...

If I had to choose between the SRT7 and the MH27, it would be the SRT7. For me the U.I. of the SRT7 trumps the extra throw and brighter colors of the MH27. The USB charging is a negative to me, as it just adds another potential failure point. Besides the grip ring and heat management the builds are pretty much the same, the tail caps are even interchangeable. It all comes down to how you are going to be using the light, maybe you should get both. SRT7GT:twothumbs

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast

thats good to know as I was interested in the brightness of these coloured leds - SRT7 is good enough for my wife, BTW her's has been dropped on concrete way too many times to count and looks beat up but all works like new - I was wondering on the brightness of that Klarus RM10 it says 240mW for the red leds. It's hard to know unless you see these lights in person.

Taz80

Enlightened

I would have picked up the RM10, but whomever designed the U.I. must have been drinking that day. Putting the strobe between low white and red, really!! why would anyone do such a thing?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

yuck that is a bad layout. If the MH27 had the magnetic control ring of the 7 it would be one of the last lights I buy for a long time. That being said the multi function switches on the MH27 are not horrible they do what they are supposed to do. I cant stand the police strobe out of either the 7 or the 27. Why is it there? Here it could easily get me into trouble with the law. A fourth colored emitter for say a yellow emitter would have been nice instead. As good as the 27 is the beam still has some artifacts around the edge of the profile from the secondary LED wells but they are not severe. Overall a great light.

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding the police strobe, I have a mate that is a policeman so I asked him if it's legal in Australia. It is as long as it is not mounted on the dashboard. Guess what lots of people do!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
use the police strobe in a car while driving here and its illegal does not matter if its mounted or not if it is on and you are driving you will get busted. Still a far more useful feature could have been in the place the police strobe is

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh NC will 100% come out with new SRT models just who knows when and what size and what kind of output will they have. Current SRT line is old tech now. Even though they remain strong sellers NC is 100% working on 4th gen smart ring technology. Vinh will not modify the SRT7 because he says whatever he does would end up blowing the secondary emitters. He has done the SRT6 before came out amazing.

2moley

Newly Enlightened
Bought one of these April last year.

1st one had an overheating fault and and a few months failed although was replaced swiftly.

My 2nd unit, the colours are still working but the white LED does not turn on at all.

First it needs a firm tap between hand and palm to go from minimal intensity to fill intensity and would remain so until the timedelay lowered the intensity. But once turned off this would repeat.

Anyone found similar faults and if so a fix?

FYI I'm a marine engineer using this torch daily, so it has had a hard life but I expected it to last longer.

cheers all

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
take the light apart head tube and tail. Buy a can of DeOxit D100. If you cannot do that use rubbing alcohol. With either use Q tips and clean all the contact points from the tail to the exposed metal ends of the tube to the inside of the head itself. Also check the tightness of the ring in the tailcap. What battery are you using? Remember, with both the SRT6 and 7 2xsources ie 2x16340 or 2x18350 will give you a 100 lumen boost beam definition increases as well.