Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO +

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

Notice the (R) in front of the CR123. To me, that is saying both primary CR123s & rechargeable RCR123s are acceptable.
Thanks, glad to see the manual is including this reference.

I can´t follow the diagrams to fully. Can someone please tell for how long (how many minutes) can one run the TM11 at Turbo mode before it reach 60 deg and steps down in effect? :thinking:
It depends on the ambient conditions and the specific calibration of a given model. Under a cooling fan, my TM11 samples typically stepped down somewhere between 5 and 10 mins after activation. That may have changed from my early samples, however.

Last edited:

titanx04

Newly Enlightened
Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 (4x18650, 3xXM-L) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

An update from my last post- have had litle use from my TM11, already have issues which may be related to the Panasonic CR123, torch no longer turns on unless tipped with globes down, noticed moviement in batteries, our 18650 in Oz are $20 each. Any recommendations on which to go for even if rechargables.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 - Reply From Nitecore / SYSMAX Regarding My Version

Unlabeled (newest)
May i rail against the iniquities of capitalism.

:drunk:

Last edited:

WYYNOTMEE

Newly Enlightened
Re: Nitecore "Tiny Monster" TM11 - Reply From Nitecore / SYSMAX Regarding My Version

May i rail against the iniquities of capitalism.

:drunk:

:eek: HI All, Im new to the sight, but been reading this thread for hours!!! I have to say the Review that Selfbuilt has done is one of the best, most thorough I personally have EVER read! Excellent Job!!! I do have a simple question probably most of you that have this light can answer... When I originally saw this light and read about it, it said it had a "strobe " option.... I may have overlooked it in the review, but did see it only mentioned a few times in all the reading I did... Does this model have the Strobe option? Does the TM15? I do thank you for your response's & appreciate it greatly! I have another quick question, but this may not be the proper forum, but gimme a break I'm just learning:) Im looking for a top of the line light for self defense/ security purposes... Anybody have some good suggestions, and the main reason why? I'm looking for lotsa light Obviously, just a great light that does have strobe, easy to use and hold in case of an "emergency". Sorry, but last question... If you had to pick from the TM11 & TM15 and could only have one, which one would you get? Thanks for your input! I look forward to talking to & reading lots more! I'm already hooked! Many Thanks!!!

oKtosiTe

Enlightened

[...] it said it had a "strobe " option....
Yes, it has a variable (random) strobe. I'm quite sure the TM15 does too, but since I don't own one of those I can't say much more than than.

xhrl0058

Newly Enlightened

anyone else drop their TM11 and shatter the lens?
Thinking of ordering a TM15 to replace it, loved the TM11 while it lasted...

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Yes, both the TM11 and TM15 have a "hidden" strobe mode. As described in the user interface section of both reviews, you can access this strobe by two rapid full presses of the switch from On. Turn off or double-click again to return to the constant output modes.

It is a true random frequency strobe. Scroll back up the oscilloscope graphs in the main review for a discussion and depiction.

And :welcome:

Alfred143

Newly Enlightened

Can I run rcr123 16340 cells on the TM11?
If not 8 rcr123 cells, how about just 4 rcr123 cells.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Not sure if RCRs are supported at all - given the parallel well arrangement, it's really the voltage of each well that matters. 2xRCR (3.7V nominal) is quite a bit higher than 2xCR123A. I would want to confirm with Nitecore before trying that.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened

What selfbuilt said. As for the 4x RCR, 4x extender(?) setup: that might work if each well has one cell and one extender, but the drain could very well be too high and I see no advantages with such a setup over simply going with 18650's. It would also make it far too easy to accidentally put two cells in one well, and only one in another, possibly creating a reverse polarity situation and a pipe bomb going off in your hand. Be very careful with that.

Last edited:

Alfred143

Newly Enlightened

Thanks all, the last thing I want to do is blow myself up :)

Alfred143

Newly Enlightened

Just got my TM11 in the mail.

No version # inside.
Does that mean the latest version after v1.9 has no numbers anymore?

can'townenough

Newly Enlightened

I purchased this light as my second multi-xml light. Version 1.12 The first was a cheap p.o.s. ultrafire 3 T6 led light which is now on its second switch. My nitecore TM11 It has endured more abuse than I ever expected it to and the only issue I can comment on is occasionally the button gets stuck in a position where it don't work until it is repositioned. My latest is the niteye eye-40 I bought around February 2013. I sent in back for repair the second time around the first of September. One of the emitters failed this last time. The first time it went in was because all it would do was blink when turned on. This problem came up within a month of receiving it.
The TM11 so far has been a real performer for me and I wish that all lights were as reliable and tough as this one has been so far for me. I expect that it will last for a while after all the impacts that it has taken accidentally. My boxer knocked it off a ladder falling over 4 ft. onto concrete bending the silver colored front ring slightly. Does anyone know if there's a bicycle mount for this light. I am a little surprised that there isn't a s.o.s. function tho which thankfully I have never had to use. Another thing I believe that nitecore could have done to make this a slightly better light would be to reduce the low mode to probably 10-20 lumens instead of the 200 they selected. Overall I have no serious issues to complain about this light unlike some others. My olight m31 triton (sst-50) extender for using 2 18650s instead of 3 123s backend doesn't want to hold the tail switch on without me being extremely careful screwing it on and will only get worse I assume. My streamlight Nitecom UV has 1 out of 5 nonfunctioning l.e.d.s and my streamlight protact HL doesn't have a strobe mode and it the low mode is switched with hi. And My old streamlight ultrastreams lens has cracked after only taking a 2 ft fall. A niterider minuet duo bike light where the cord connecting battery and light under the light is frayed and doesn't maintain constant contact causing it to blink off and Last and least I must have around 5 nonfunctioning 2aa mag-lights and a 3D one with with a broken on-off.

DT1

Newly Enlightened

Hey folks, first post here on CPF. I can't say thanks enough for all the great info on this post and elsewhere on the forum!

Based on Selfbulit's excellent review and other feedback on this thread, I recently purchased a TM11. I have it mounted on my Ashbury TIM for use in long range spotting (see pic below). This rig gets banged around a bit so I thought it might be helpful to install a Butler Creek flip cap to protect the lens. I've used the light briefly with the BC cap on but not yet for extended periods. My question is, with longer run times, will the head get hot enough to possibly melt the plastic on the BC flip cap? Obviously, it will be flipped down when in use. The other consideration is that the light might get inadvertently turned on with the flip cap up. I just don't know how hot the head gets when left on for extended periods.

Thanks much for any thoughts!

TinyMonster_zps11083921.png

oKtosiTe

Enlightened

Hey folks, first post here on CPF. I can't say thanks enough for all the great info on this post and elsewhere on the forum!

Based on Selfbulit's excellent review and other feedback on this thread, I recently purchased a TM11. I have it mounted on my Ashbury TIM for use in long range spotting (see pic below). This rig gets banged around a bit so I thought it might be helpful to install a Butler Creek flip cap to protect the lens. I've used the light briefly with the BC cap on but not yet for extended periods. My question is, with longer run times, will the head get hot enough to possibly melt the plastic on the BC flip cap? Obviously, it will be flipped down when in use. The other consideration is that the light might get inadvertently turned on with the flip cap up. I just don't know how hot the head gets when left on for extended periods.

Thanks much for any thoughts!

TinyMonster_zps11083921.png

I've found that it depends a lot on the climate and the conductivity of the material around the head. With that said, my TM11 never got too hot to touch, and I've used it as a bike light with nothing but a (Swedish) summer breeze to cool its fins.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

My question is, with longer run times, will the head get hot enough to possibly melt the plastic on the BC flip cap? Obviously, it will be flipped down when in use. The other consideration is that the light might get inadvertently turned on with the flip cap up. I just don't know how hot the head gets when left on for extended periods.
It's a good thought, I'm sure how much heat those Butler Creek flip-top scope covers can handle. I've used them myself on smaller lights, but never for extended periods. I guess you'll have to let us know! :)

And :welcome:

Dimitri Stephan

Newly Enlightened

Hello people,

Could anyone please measure the diameter of the glass window on the TM11? Mine shattered to pieces and I'd like to find an appropriate replacement.

Thanks!

Alfred143

Newly Enlightened

Hi TM11 owners. If you had a chance to go back and do it again, would you fork out $50 more for a brighter, throwier TM15 (Bluish Tint) or Stick with floodier but lighter & Smaller TM11 (greenish tint)? Provided there were both out a the time you made your TM11 purchase.