Nitecore TM06 (4xXM-L2 U2, 4x18650) review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

Danielsan

Enlightened
Certainly removing the cells will stop any drain. Li-ions hold their charge extremely well, so self-discharge outside the light is not a concern.

No you got me wrong, i mean will the light drain the 4 batteries evenly? We know already that the light will drain two batteries harder than the rest in standby.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
No you got me wrong, i mean will the light drain the 4 batteries evenly? We know already that the light will drain two batteries harder than the rest in standby.

Ah, I see. I have not tested to see if there is a differential drain in standby, so I cannot confirm those reports. As for operation, I didn't notice anything unusual in the resting voltages of my cells after the runtimes here, but I wasn't specifically looking for it. Since drain in operation is typically much higher, it is possible that you may not see a difference in the batteries (even if there were a differential drain on the lower standby mode). But I have not tested one way or the other to see.

ven

Flashaholic
So if you use the light normally and always remove the batteries after usage it should be no problem right? Or better said the batteries will drained down normal and even when the light is powered on?

I use my tm06vn,after use i lock out by a few turns of tail cap(has extra solder in cap for flat tops). I make sure there is no indicator flashing,also the light will not switch on(soon learn how many turns or part turn required). This practice i have found the cells drain quite evenly. As mentioned above in post #18 by stew,i 100% agree with his findings. If left on standby then 2 cells will be used for this purpose,leaving the other 2 separate. Of course once operated then all 4 cells are used.....

Poor design,but not an end of world issue for me,as i always lock my lights out where possible. If its a light to be left on standby regularly,then care needs to be taken regarding the 2 cells drain...........not a great light for this type of use imho unless you can be fastidious with your cell checking and charging. This no doubt would become tiring ...........and also take the edge off the enjoyment of a great light other wise.

So if used,then locked out,used,locked out etc etc, i have found fine,highly recommend you try this practice Danielsan for your piece of mind and then enjoy your light:thumbsup: I have not found any need to remove cells as locking out fully is the same imo.............just more convenient come time of use:)

ven

Flashaholic
Is it dangerous though? .....

Hi there,dangerous i presume in leaving on standby,no different than any light left on standby for a long time. Admittedly other lights may not cause a big difference in cell voltage. The light will tell you straight away via blue flashing read out,or will not turn on. To get around not locking out,and really use as you should be able to,then you would need to keep an eye on the cells. This may mean you need to check periodically,be it every 3 days,a week,2 weeks etc depending on use. Personally i would lock out if not being used for several hours or longer,this way any risk of the cells draining lower would be reduced/stopped.

That is my opinion,so by no means am i right,just what i would advise to do and actually do myself with issue free results.

What cells do you use,are they protected ? come worse case scenario...........

I use pany BDs no PCB,just lock out in between uses. After i have used it,providing of course its longer than 10 mins :laughing: i pop the cells on charge noting the V . So far i have not found anything worrying due to the procedure i follow. Being honest,for all i know any of my other lights may drain cells quick ,but never have due to me locking out.

Any cell that V is reduced significantly can shorten the life,potentially dangerous although i am sure the light would not turn on if 2 cells were (example) drained to 2.5v. It would certainly be worth checking if the light had been left in standby for a period before charging to be safe.

Danielsan

Enlightened
I use my tm06vn,after use i lock out by a few turns of tail cap(has extra solder in cap for flat tops). I make sure there is no indicator flashing,also the light will not switch on(soon learn how many turns or part turn required). This practice i have found the cells drain quite evenly. As mentioned above in post #18 by stew,i 100% agree with his findings. If left on standby then 2 cells will be used for this purpose,leaving the other 2 separate. Of course once operated then all 4 cells are used.....

Poor design,but not an end of world issue for me,as i always lock my lights out where possible. If its a light to be left on standby regularly,then care needs to be taken regarding the 2 cells drain...........not a great light for this type of use imho unless you can be fastidious with your cell checking and charging. This no doubt would become tiring ...........and also take the edge off the enjoyment of a great light other wise.

So if used,then locked out,used,locked out etc etc, i have found fine,highly recommend you try this practice Danielsan for your piece of mind and then enjoy your light:thumbsup: I have not found any need to remove cells as locking out fully is the same imo.............just more convenient come time of use:)

The bad thing about this light is not only this but also the fact that the hi and turbo mode is nearly identical. I wrote in a forum that a guy send his tm06 back because of that and the replacement unit was better. That could mean a hardware bug or bad quality control. I think the price is maybe a bit high because of those flaws. The light just dont offer 3800 lumens

ven

Flashaholic
The bad thing about this light is not only this but also the fact that the hi and turbo mode is nearly identical. I wrote in a forum that a guy send his tm06 back because of that and the replacement unit was better. That could mean a hardware bug or bad quality control. I think the price is maybe a bit high because of those flaws. The light just dont offer 3800 lumens

I cant comment on the standard,in honesty i rarely buy standard unless beaters(work type lights).Vinhs has 2 options,a neutral or u3 led swap. The latter i have and Justin measured at 4700 OTF where as the standard iirc is 3100 actual led lm(not OTF) and we know how much can be lost. Either way vinhs must be well over 5000 led lumen. Extra heat sinking etc to compensate. As mentioned by NoNotAgain and is spot on,go from turbo mode,1/2 press to high,you notice the difference then.

I can certainly recommend vinhs version

From vinh
XML2 PDTn version HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!
Ultra wide spill width will amaze you but the ridiculous throw will shock you!
The output and throw outclass everything remotely close in this size
Estimate Factory 3200 LED Lumen at 2.2A per LED
TM06vn with XML2 U3 Dome on ~ 4850 LED Lumen at 2.8A per LED
TM06vn with XML2 U2 PDTn ~ 3950 LED lumen
XML2 PDTn tint is just gorgeous! My favorite for sure but U3 dome on might be a good choice for you as max lumen is important.
Very smart UI! Read factory specs for details!
All TM06vn are modded to take Flat tops OK
Tested cell: 18650BE/BD 3200mAh

Justins measurments

Nitecore TM06vn XML2 U3 Domes on
Samsung 20r
4697@ turn on
4593@ 30 sec
2766 high
710 mid
150 low
4 firefly
Throw - 45,000 Lux

Nitecore TM06vn XML2 PDTn
Samsung 20r
3771@ turn on
3654@ 30 sec
2482 high
651 mid
140 low
4 firefly
Throw - 90,000 Lux

If I had to chose I would pick U3 domes on for max lumen and nice flood. I normally hate hate hate cool white but the U3 has quite nice tint for being "cool white" - Its around 6000k and pure white (no blue/purple/green or bad tints)

Last edited:

Danielsan

Enlightened
I cant comment on the standard,in honesty i rarely buy standard unless beaters(work type lights).Vinhs has 2 options,a neutral or u3 led swap. The latter i have and Justin measured at 4700 OTF where as the standard iirc is 3100 actual led lm(not OTF) and we know how much can be lost. Either way vinhs must be well over 5000 led lumen. Extra heat sinking etc to compensate. As mentioned by NoNotAgain and is spot on,go from turbo mode,1/2 press to high,you notice the difference then.

I can certainly recommend vinhs version

From vinh
XML2 PDTn version HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!
Ultra wide spill width will amaze you but the ridiculous throw will shock you!
The output and throw outclass everything remotely close in this size
Estimate Factory 3200 LED Lumen at 2.2A per LED
TM06vn with XML2 U3 Dome on ~ 4850 LED Lumen at 2.8A per LED
TM06vn with XML2 U2 PDTn ~ 3950 LED lumen
XML2 PDTn tint is just gorgeous! My favorite for sure but U3 dome on might be a good choice for you as max lumen is important.
Very smart UI! Read factory specs for details!
All TM06vn are modded to take Flat tops OK
Tested cell: 18650BE/BD 3200mAh

Justins measurments

Nitecore TM06vn XML2 U3 Domes on
Samsung 20r
4697@ turn on
4593@ 30 sec
2766 high
710 mid
150 low
4 firefly
Throw - 45,000 Lux

Nitecore TM06vn XML2 PDTn
Samsung 20r
3771@ turn on
3654@ 30 sec
2482 high
651 mid
140 low
4 firefly
Throw - 90,000 Lux

If I had to chose I would pick U3 domes on for max lumen and nice flood. I normally hate hate hate cool white but the U3 has quite nice tint for being "cool white" - Its around 6000k and pure white (no blue/purple/green or bad tints)
You maybe right but i would not spend so much for a flashlight. The TM06 was just interesting because ist available at bangggood for a cheaper price than the crazy 200 dollar Nitecore wants for the light. I can guess that a vinh version will be even more costly and dont forget import fees and shipping costs. Thats why it is not really interesting for me.

ven

Flashaholic
You maybe right but i would not spend so much for a flashlight. The TM06 was just interesting because ist available at bangggood for a cheaper price than the crazy 200 dollar Nitecore wants for the light. I can guess that a vinh version will be even more costly and dont forget import fees and shipping costs. Thats why it is not really interesting for me.

Good point,i dont know how it works in Germany regarding import,UK if over $50 then subject to tax. Only once from a vinh light have i paid tax,but that was an expensive custom and very heavy 2kg+ .

I although so far have had trouble free with nitecore,just have 100% confidence in vinh,he improves on heat sink,wires and leds along with current bumps without pushing boundaries too much. He also has 2nd to none customer service,so with lights other than specific work beaters,i go for vn versions. Least i know there wont be any DOA .

Yes more expense,some cases not much different tbh,in fact i can buy a modded tk75vn and import for the same as a standard version in UK..............and so much better imo.

But admit some deals are hard to pass up from china,just a pita if anything goes wrong.

I really love the creamy white u3 tint,amazing output from the tm06vn...................a real tiny monster .

BLF code gets another 8% off when paying at BG too...........every little helps:)

mod in tail cap for flat top

regards ven

Jayvivet

Newly Enlightened
Hi sorry about late reply. I use protected cells. Either eagletac or nitecore. I meant dangerous as in having batteries of different voltages? Can the flashlight reverse charge or can the batteries explode. I tend to use the tm06 everyday and will charge the cells when the blue ring starts flashing. I am not really interested in locking it out or checking the voltage of individual cells but I also don't want to lose a hand or any other body parts for the sake of a badly designed circuit

Atakdog

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to get the new TM16 (same 4x18650 4xXM-L2 configuration, claimed 4000lm and 122kcd) but haven't seen any testing on it yet. Based on this one do you think they might have bumped it up to ~3500lm due to the larger head for better heat dissipation? It looks really cool in it's combo of high output and throw, so I hope someone confirms it is worthy of it's claims soon.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking to get the new TM16 (same 4x18650 4xXM-L2 configuration, claimed 4000lm and 122kcd) but haven't seen any testing on it yet. Based on this one do you think they might have bumped it up to ~3500lm due to the larger head for better heat dissipation? It looks really cool in it's combo of high output and throw, so I hope someone confirms it is worthy of it's claims soon.

I don't know what you mean by "bumped it up to ~3500 lumens" - it is rated at 4,000 lumens, and that rating seems reasonably accurate based on some comparisons I have done. I don't have an integrating sphere or anything fancy, though, so I can only speak to a ballpark figure.

More reading while you wait for selfbuilt's report: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?402826-*NEW*-Nitecore-TM16

gnolivos

Newly Enlightened
I am assuming tomorrow you are referring to is the TM06S? I am interested in knowing what the differences are, and in particular what the beam pattern looks like compared to the predecessor.

Or you're still planning on reviewing this light , Selfbuilt?

Testing it now, should have a review done within a couple of weeks.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several years ago, I purchased the TM11, a compact Zebralight SC600, and a Zebralight H600 headlight.
Now, after many years, the TM11 is still running superbly.
However, my Zebralight SC600 and H600's rubber push buttons are both playing up; often, neither the SC600 nor the H600 will not switch on - so I'm not interested in an SC600 II or III, or another Zebralight with their rubber push button.
This updated Nitecore TM06s is certainly promising with quad emitters, for more even more flood, and more throw.

I like the original TM06's size, power, and practical floodiness, however initially, I was quite turned off by the TM06's messy dual switch gear.
The TM06 is a typical practical compact floody light, so a handshake grip with the arms below the waistline, hence a side switch is the order of the day.
I actually like the addition of the mechanical tail end switch for a high over the shoulder tactical grip, but didn't like the way the side switch couldn't be used as the main on/off switch.
In the original TM06, the side switch was only used for mode switching.

A TM06s update seems to have been released in December 2015.
It seems to have more power [now a full 4000 lumens], more throw @ 359 meters, now a full 1 hour run time on maximum output, and more importantly, they've tidied up the switches by just using the side switch only, and redesigning the tail cap, dropping the tail end switch.

Any idea if there are any cons to the TM06s, apart from the new rather bland and cheap tail end triangular stand styling with for a lanyard hole?

http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/tm06s

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selfbuilt says his TM06 cannot use flat top batteries, but it can use NCR18650A 3100 mAH.

Does anyone know if the TM06 can use Panasonic NCR18650B 3400 mAH batteries?
Because these NCR18650B's appear to be flat top batteries, and seem to lack the protruding nipple?