Nitecore TM15 (3xXM-L U2, 4x18650, 8xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIME, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO +

davpet

Newly Enlightened
Guys, I saw something interesting on Nitecore's website. In support - download - 2012 Nitecore flyer, the TM11 and TM15 are both mentioned to have six brightness modes. Now, if we assume that one brightness mode is the strobe, I am still missing one on the TM11. Is it a typo, or have they updated the TM11 once again?

Wol9296

Newly Enlightened
As usual excellent informative review for a great amount of light in a handy package

levelflight

Newly Enlightened
My first order went missing (via DHL), so I'm patiently waiting for the second one to make it through the USPS Christmas snarl
rolleye11.gif
au.gif

Just curious to know how many TM15s have so far been acquired by viewers of this thread, so how about posting a confirmation of either your pending order (like me) or from the lucky sods who are playing with theirs already!

So how many TM15s are now in use? Post your count here:

In hand:
On order:

davpet

Newly Enlightened
My first order went missing (via DHL), so I'm patiently waiting for the second one to make it through the USPS Christmas snarl
rolleye11.gif
au.gif

Just curious to know how many TM15s have so far been acquired by viewers of this thread, so how about posting a confirmation of either your pending order (like me) or from the lucky sods who are playing with theirs already!

So how many TM15s are now in use? Post your count here:

In hand:
On order:

Went missing via DHL? Wow, that's sad. I pre ordered a Zebralight S6330, and chose DHL over USPS (a $24 extra). Hope it was the right decision.. Actually ordering online kinda sucks, 'cause you have to wait (even a few days feel like a lot :) ), and if there is a problem with your light.... I purchased my TM11 in a shop 10 minutes walk from where I live, after comparing cool whites and neutrals. With the TM15, I was impatient, so I ordered it online. It took one week to arrive. And guess what, by the time it arrived they had it the shop as well. :D

levelflight

Newly Enlightened
Funny how it goes. I live rurally so online is the only way to purchase for me.
What are your thoughts comparing the 11 to the 15?

So the count is...

In hand: 1
On order: 1

levelflight

Newly Enlightened
Fair enough, and probably the wrong place to start this, I won't pursue it further.
That said it would be nice to know how popular the TM15 is.....doesn't seem to be much uptake here in any case.

Yourfun2

Enlightened
Everyone is out happily using their lights. I have both and they both work fine. If people were having trouble or questions, then you would see this thread lite up.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fair enough, and probably the wrong place to start this, I won't pursue it further.
That said it would be nice to know how popular the TM15 is.....doesn't seem to be much uptake here in any case.

I use both the TM11 and TM15 and they are outstanding lights. :thumbsup:

levelflight

Newly Enlightened
OK, this has me wondering.....so let me ask this question. If you owned the TM15 first, would you consider purchasing the TM11 after that?
It's the question I'm asking myself because I love the smaller size of the TM11....it's tough to beat, but the 1/4" socket, greater output, and additional levels pushed me to the TM15.

Yourfun2

Enlightened
I bought the TM11 first and I prefer the smaller package. I put the TM15 in the holster for my TN31 an put it under my front seat. I may sell it depending on the EA4 reviews. The TM15 has more features and is brighter but I like the flood and lighter weight. The TM11 also fits in coat pocket and has much warmer tint. My TN31 and TM15 are just over the edge of how big a light I want to carry. Both are fine if you are just having around the house or in the car. My neutral TM15 is not warm at all. At first we thought it might be a cool white until we put next to a cool white TM15 which is a bit blue. The tripod mount and the built in charger are nice to have. I foresee wanting to use both at some point. But duct tape and my other charger may have to do. The low level on my TM11 appears about the same as low level on the TM15. It is all in the tint. If you are a cool white person then the TM15 probably has more appeal. I hope this helps.

levelflight

Newly Enlightened
Yes, very good feedback, thank you. My preference is for 65K (cool white) tinted lights, fwiw.
The more lights I buy online from reading reviews and user feedback etc. the more I am getting to think this isn't the right way for me to purchase lights, at least not for my budget and environmental perspective. Manufacturing does pollute after all. It would be a very nice thing to attend a large flashlight trade show with an empty Visa card....hmmm, NOW I know what I want for Christmas.

Because I just finish buying what I think is the latest and greatest for my needs and then another better one comes along! Thankfully I made my choice to stick with 18650 compatible lights, but it makes you wonder what the E4 could do on two of those because it looks like they would fit into the form factor.
Nitecore and ZL have certainly become companies to watch.

davpet

Newly Enlightened
OK, this has me wondering.....so let me ask this question. If you owned the TM15 first, would you consider purchasing the TM11 after that?
It's the question I'm asking myself because I love the smaller size of the TM11....it's tough to beat, but the 1/4" socket, greater output, and additional levels pushed me to the TM15.

I also made some remarks about these two lights in the TM11 thread, but to sum it up, (for me), the TM15 is better because: somewhat better UI, blue blinking led is much better in the dark, larger heat sink, rechargeable, lower low mode. The TM11 is better, because: it's smaller, somewhat lighter, switch is more recessed, so accidental activation is less likely.

As I've mentioned before, I can't measure any output difference on turbo between the two lights. But that doesn't mean too much. At these levels, a cc 400 lumen difference wouldn't be too noticeable anyway if they had exactly the same head. So, it comes down to personal preference: are you willing to sacrifice some throw on the altar of spill beam: (or vice versa) :)

Answering your question, I may not have purchased the TM11, if I had the TM15 first. But that's only because I always want the newer stuff. :)

levelflight

Newly Enlightened
If you are sticking with 18650, you may want to check out the Crelant 7G9.

Too big, but thank you for bringing it to my attention.
It looks like a well made light although I didn't check into the review very deeply as I'm looking for higher output in a smaller form factor, which pretty much rules out the 7G9.

levelflight

Newly Enlightened
I also made some remarks about these two lights in the TM11 thread, but to sum it up, (for me), the TM15 is better because: somewhat better UI, blue blinking led is much better in the dark, larger heat sink, rechargeable, lower low mode. The TM11 is better, because: it's smaller, somewhat lighter, switch is more recessed, so accidental activation is less likely.

As I've mentioned before, I can't measure any output difference on turbo between the two lights. But that doesn't mean too much. At these levels, a cc 400 lumen difference wouldn't be too noticeable anyway if they had exactly the same head. So, it comes down to personal preference: are you willing to sacrifice some throw on the altar of spill beam: (or vice versa) :)

Answering your question, I may not have purchased the TM11, if I had the TM15 first. But that's only because I always want the newer stuff. :)

Well stated, and it pretty much makes the case for each light. With the ZL 6330 and probably a number of other lights in various production pipelines the TM11, as it stands, will be facing some serious competition.

Yourfun2

Enlightened
Too big, but thank you for bringing it to my attention.
It looks like a well made light although I didn't check into the review very deeply as I'm looking for higher output in a smaller form factor, which pretty much rules out the 7G9.
The 18650 light I will probably buy next is the Eagletac G25C2 MKII. At least that is what I keep telling myself. Could change by the next credit card cycle.