Non DRL-1 module DRLs

Starinless

Newly Enlightened
I have moved to South Australia for a few months so I I have to transfer my car over and have it inspected, The 2008 patrol has a turn/drl module but south Australia has less exceptions in there state regshttp://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/sa/consol_reg/rtvsr2013359/s82.html

as you can see I was told that due to that note at the bottom (that Western Australia doesn't have) that white is the only colour allowed in SA so I am thinking about alternatives.

I used the DRL-1 because I didn't want to cut holes in my aluminium front bullbar so if it used easy to mount lights or utilised existing lights I wouldn't mind fitting it myself.

http://i.imgur.com/jVJbbYf.jpg
Here is a shot of the car from a while ago.

jzchen

Enlightened
Those look like amber color bulbs. Can you legally use white bulbs as signal bulbs? This would be a quick bulb change solution...

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
It would be unwise to have white front turn signals, even if you can legally get away with it. They are all but invisible in the daytime (sunshine) and at night (headlamps).

Starinless, I think you might have been given bad advice. SA's law clearly permits yellow DRLs per 4(a). That note about 3rd edition ADRs allowing only white appears to be just that: a note. It's not clear why it's there; it doesn't contain any regulatory language ("may", "must", "shall", "may not", "must not", "shall not") or any language modifying the regulatory provisions ("vehicles built after [date]", "vehicles built before [date]", "vehicles first registered on or after [date]", "vehicles longer than [length]", "vehicles wider than [width]", etc). Whoever told you you can't keep your present DRLs seems to have misinterpreted the SA regulation. If it came from the top, then it doesn't matter that it's a misinterpretation, you'll still have to live with it. But if it was some hack at a garage or office, go to a different garage or office.

Starinless

Newly Enlightened
Apparently south Australia applies the federal government's vehicle standards bulletin 9 (i think it is 9)but I can't find any information regarding lighting in the VSB.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Well, if they're not going to let you keep your amber DRLs, and you want to keep having DRLs, you'll have to install white ones. Whole bunch of options from Hella Australia.

Starinless

Newly Enlightened
Either way I'm thinking about getting 2 of the high beam daytime running light modules that run the high beam on a lower voltage and put in 1 on the high beam and one on the Lowbeam to try and reduce the black build up on the inside of the bulb because the headlights H4, do you think that would work.

Last edited:

Starinless

Newly Enlightened
They look pretty good but it may be hard to mount them out of harms way.
I could mount them in the existing Drl locations but I need an amber indicator and a white or amber parklight because the bar blocks there visibility.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Either way I'm thinking about getting 2 of the high beam daytime running light modules that run the high beam on a lower voltage and put in 1 on the high beam and one on the Lowbeam to try and reduce the black build up on the inside of the bulb because the headlights H4, do you think that would work.

It would be a very power-hungry way of doing it, and the DRL color would still not be (legally) white.

Starinless

Newly Enlightened
It would be a very power-hungry way of doing it, and the DRL color would still not be (legally) white.
I looked around at led automates website and found ADR approved drl/park/turn lamps
http://www.ledautolamps.com/25-front-indicator-daytime-running
Thinking about this one with a Drl Hotdog
https://ledautolamps.com/img/cms/175AWTB2-.pdf I only wish the indicator LEDs made a ring around the DRL LEDs but beggars can't be choosers.

On a side note that DrlHotdog would be useful for making sidemarkers blink instead of a drl-1 module if you didnt want to run a cable from one side to another, Led markers only of course.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Those look like cheap junk from here...with a tiny, almost invisible turn signal. I'm sure you can do better than that. How about this combo DRL/indicator? It does almost what you want (DRL LEDs make a ring around the indicator LEDs).

Starinless

Newly Enlightened
The round hella safety lamps look like my best bet bet at the moment, I will have to measure the slots in the bar but I suspect that the opening will be to narrow and cut the top and bottom off slightly.
To get around this 'am thinking of placing 2 in each slot makeup for the blocked visibility of some LEDs.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
True in a perfect world, but the "two per side" strategy Starinless mentions is probably the best setup overall, given the realities he has to work with. They should be placed as close together (on each side) as possible.

Last edited:

Starinless

Newly Enlightened
Well I have done the maths and about 10mm of the top and bottom of the lamps will be cut off.
If you think that's to much I could try to find rectangular shaped lamps, smaller round lamps or modify the existing square holes, the hight of the holes is 57mm so if I could find a 50-55mm drl lamp and a 50-55mm Park and indicator lamp I could mount them next to each other.

Last edited:

Starinless

Newly Enlightened
I have priced the hella safety lamps and they are $260 each.
I don't know about you but over $1000 for drls is a bit much.

Edit: i have found a solution http://media.toyota-autos.com/pictu...QCiwCBhwQHQ0SRBUXBhcAFgwADBEQKFlNWg8CFA==.jpg

The lights on the recent toyotas fit with slight widening and the plastic insert can cover up the existing hole, I just have to cut off the foglight section and compare the angles of the bars.

now to find a wreck; Toyota will probably want an arm and a leg.

Last edited: