Noob Questions about Surefire E and L Series (UI, LED swap, batteries)

tychoseven

Newly Enlightened
I like the "tactical" UI of the 2-mode E2D, but wish I could use an 18650. It seems I can get it bored like the 1" Surefires, but I want to explore my options. I have a couple P60 lights but don't know anything about the E, L, A, etc. lights.

Are there any other lights, production or custom, in the same size class as the E with the same UI that'll take an 18650?

Is it possible to get my 6P to operate with the 2-mode UI like the E2D? (momentary low/high, twisty low/high)

Can one swap the LEDs in in the E-series heads?

Is it possible to remove or modify the TIR optic to make the light floodier?

Thanks!

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there any other lights, production or custom, in the same size class as the E with the same UI that'll take an 18650?

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?340425-TS-SS-E-Body-18350-18500-18650-By-FiveMega

The UI circuitry is in the bezel (head) with the E-series lights, so you could attach an E-head to the aforementioned custom body by Fivemega, and use it with an 18650. Choosing an appropriate Lumens Factory incan to go with an 18650 would probably get you the most performance. I have a Lumens Factory EO-E1R that I run off of a 17670, that I am quite fond of.

Is it possible to get my 6P to operate with the 2-mode UI like the E2D? (momentary low/high, twisty low/high)?

It is possible to get a 2-mode LED drop-in module that will switch modes by tapping/fast-twisting the tailcap from several CPFers, but for an incan version you would need to get a Kroma/A2Z(??) 2-stage tailcap, or the highly-collectible Surefire-legal-team-forced-shutdown McGizmo-made "McC2s" 2-stage tailcap.

Swapping the leds in an E-series bezel should probably only be done by someone who "knows what they are doing", and will void the vaunted SF warranty.

Skilled modders, such as Milkyspit, can swap out a TIR optic for a reflector, but Milky has a backlog right now, and again, it will void the warranty.

I'm not necessarily up-to-date on all the current options, and am open to more knowledgeable corrections. YMMV.

Last edited:

tychoseven

Newly Enlightened
Thanks novice. I'm not opposed to running an incan, but I think I'll stick with an LED setup if possible.

I have a couple multi-mode d26 drop-ins, but I find it too easy to accidentally change modes using the momentary option. I guess that's just how those modules work though.

Anybody know what tools I'd need to open an E-series bezel? I have access to a machine shop and enough skill to do basic work.

I think I saw a reflectored LED bezel for E-series in the marketplace, but it was a while ago before I was actually looking for such a thing. Anybody know more about these things?

tuju77

Newly Enlightened
Can E2D Led Defender take rechargeable battery?will the battery damage the Led bulb?any recommendation batteries

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Can E2D Led Defender take rechargeable battery?will the battery damage the Led bulb?any recommendation batteries

Yes they will. No a Lithium Ion will not damage the head. That's one of the nice things about the E2D lights. They take a 17670 battery with no modding. And you get excellent run time.