• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Not a Flashlight! It's a Thinker's Toy

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking Ti with differently colored anodized blocks might be worth looking into.

Hmmm :thinking: .......... That Ti ano sounds like an interesting project for someone. :rock: But I still haven`t set up my Lathe & Milling Machine to make a light. :ohgeez: I`m one lazy dude. :p But you :whistle:....... Uhhh??? :poke: Muahahaha! :devil: What? :duck:

:wave:Me :grin2:

jag808808

Enlightened
PF,

Nice work! You hit a design I have been toying in mind! I was thinking of a body with square knurling with dimples! Hmmm, I guesss even my dreams are running a little behind the time...

Aloha,

jag

ps. Happy Father's Day to all!

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow!
I also need something to occupy my hands while I think. FOr the past few months, it has been....a piece of red wax. When shaped in a ball, it is maybe 2/3 golfball sized. I knead it, and feel it warm in my hands, and pull/squish it into different shapes....I think I like your "Thinkers Toy" much much better, though!!!!

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
John,

I kind of like this one, since it is almost looks as though it already is shaped like a flashlight. :devil:

Mondrian.jpg

Of course, the colors on Ti will be vastly different from what Mondrian might have used.

Hey Kenster,

You, lazy? I don't think so. A procrastinator, at least if we are talking about the lathe, for sure. :grin2:

Griff,

What do think of the Mondrian idea? I think I owe somebody a light.

jaf808808,

You mean like this?

MatedPartsAlmostDone200.jpg

That's a light that I made for jch79, and I'm getting close to doing a run of these, maybe 50 pieces. But I'm hoping to get some of the 10.5mm diameter FluPICs for the project, so that multiple brightness levels can be offered. It is a CR2 design with a tripod socket in the end of the light. I think the Seoul P4 in the U2 bin would be good with the FluPIC.

paulr

Flashaholic
Beautiful! A zero lumen flashlight, yet so perfect that I still want one despite the nonexistent output :D
:thumbsup:

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Thinker's Toy arrived today, and its as awesome as i had hoped. exactly what i wanted, will serve my brain well :thinking: the Mondrian section is very cool, i do take partial credit for that suggestion! :nana: although not from a mondrian perspective, just wanted a bit more than squares on that side. super weighty, actually doubles as a paperweight even though that wasnt the intent. very nice hand machining, the finish and everything is just lovely. the amount of effort and trouble that went into it is readily apparent. makes me want a blocky boy now!

my pics wont be better than PFs, so im posting these instead :naughty:

thanks fred! was a pleasure working with you, and thanks for your patience :poke: ;)

(hopefully not too inappropriate, ive seen quite a few others along these lines... mods please tell me if so.)

:party: :D :devil: :thumbsup:

Last edited:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Thinker's Toy arrived today, and its as awesome as i had hoped. exactly what i wanted, will serve my brain well :thinking: the Mondrian section is very cool, i do take partial credit for that suggestion! :nana: although not from a mondrian perspective, just wanted a bit more than squares on that side. super weighty, actually doubles as a paperweight even though that wasnt the intent. very nice hand machining, the finish and everything is just lovely. the amount of effort and trouble that went into it is readily apparent. makes me want a blocky boy now!

my pics wont be better than PFs, so im posting these instead :naughty:

thanks fred! was a pleasure working with you, and thanks for your patience :poke: ;)

(hopefully not too inappropriate, ive seen quite a few others along these lines... mods please tell me if so.)

:party: :D :devil: :thumbsup:

Man, I'll have to remember that technique when I don't want anyone to really look at the machining. :crackup:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might have been a little inappropriate if the picture was with you in speedos :nana:. Just kidding. Very nice.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Um, I don't under stand it? :mecry::thinking:

I sat there flashing many of my lights at the pic but I can't seem to see anything? 20 mins & 25 flashlights later, I gave up. I even tried a POB HID..... :( :laughing:

RGB_LED

Enlightened
PhotoFanatic, once again, I'm stunned by your designs! :bow: I love the Mondrian-like patterns and I echo the comments about whether this could be a flashlight design.

In fact, I was thinking that you can combine two designs: Flashlight on the flat end and your incredible Luce de Notte on the round end... I'm not sure if that is even feasible as I'm not familiar with the Luce construction but the round end definitely made me think of it.
Btw, please tell me that you're doing another run of the Luce's! :D :popcorn:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhotoFanatic, once again, I'm stunned by your designs! :bow: I love the Mondrian-like patterns and I echo the comments about whether this could be a flashlight design.

In fact, I was thinking that you can combine two designs: Flashlight on the flat end and your incredible Luce de Notte on the round end... I'm not sure if that is even feasible as I'm not familiar with the Luce construction but the round end definitely made me think of it.
Btw, please tell me that you're doing another run of the Luce's! :D :popcorn:

Thanks for the kind words. Let me address your last point first--Yes, I am doing another run of Luce's, but it is already closed, unless you have your own Tritium sphere.

I have given some thought to a flashlight with the hemispherical end, although I can just hear the requests for tailstandability or keychainability. :devil:

What I do hope you will see instead will be another Mondrian inspired flashlight, with Ti anodizing. That's already been modeled and, to me at least, looks pretty nice. I am investigating whether to put that into production, but first I need to machine the light, a major project on a manual lathe, then we have to see if the anodizer can do a perfect job, and then, most likely, it will need to be remachined after the anodizing. Not a simple project, in other words; but that's what makes life interesting--trying to do something new and different. I'll never be able to that with the electronics side of the business, but the machining/designing venue offers something within reach.

steed77

Newly Enlightened
This is a funny thread! Thanks I need it after a long week. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

classic, just classic.