LV426

Enlightened
Re: Object/Subject Review: Shiningbeam Caveman

Bigmacc_79,

Any long term impressions yet?

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened

Have had mine for over a year now! Clearly my favorite 2AA light. I run mine on Eneloops (1500 cycle gen.)...

Vish

Newly Enlightened

Excellent review. Thank you for the time taken to write this up. Very helpful. I am thinking of buying one but still doing some research. my only question is - Is there a better light brand at the same or lower price point for 2XAA.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast

Excellent review. Thank you for the time taken to write this up. Very helpful. I am thinking of buying one but still doing some research. my only question is - Is there a better light brand at the same or lower price point for 2XAA.

There are bigger name brands with cheaper 2xAA lights, but the caveman is more durable and reliable than other similar lights I've seen. If you don't need such a rugged light, there are cheaper options.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
On the basis of this review (and other positive remarks on CPF) I purchased a SB Caveman and just received it today. :party:

I have to say first off that the review is right on, and very thorough... thanks Bigmac for putting in the time. I'm new here (first post), and consequently my point of comparison for this new purchase is pretty limited. My first "real" LED light was a Fenix E21. I know that's very basic, entry-level stuff for most folks here, -- but nonetheless I like the E21 for it's simplicity and when I got it I really wasn't interested in blinky modes or having to do lots of clicking and head-twisting to find the right brightness, so the E21 has served me well.

Anywho, the main thing I DON'T like about the E21 is the lack of a low mode, and in that respect the Caveman is exactly what I was looking for. I also like the Caveman UI very much, and the floodier beam.

My only (minor) gripes about the Caveman would be
A) it should have 1 or 2 more brightness levels, -- maybe a moonlight mode, and another step between low and medium.
B) the finish on the one I have is not perfect... there are some minor nicks in the anodizing from tooling. Which is not a big deal since it's a "user", and given the price.

Big on the plus side...

I was playing around with my new toy, and my 4 year old asked to look at it. I turned it down to low, and handed it to her. She promptly dropped it on the concrete, right on the bezel. :ohgeez:

No problem. You can barely see the spot where it hit the concrete, and everything still works. So having only had the light for a few hours, it's already undergone and passed some real-life shock testing. :grin2:

Cypher_Aod

Enlightened
I've had a Caveman for over a year now, it still works absolutely perfectly with no issues whatsoever. A couple of days ago I got a Quark Tactical QTA so I can now confirm that the Quark parts and the Caveman are not intercompatible. The Quark parts and the Caveman parts cannot be legoed with each other.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a Caveman for over a year now, it still works absolutely perfectly with no issues whatsoever. A couple of days ago I got a Quark Tactical QTA so I can now confirm that the Quark parts and the Caveman are not intercompatible. The Quark parts and the Caveman parts cannot be legoed with each other.

Reviving an old thread here :)

Can you comment on the build quality of the Caveman compared to the Quarks? I own a Quark AA-Tactical and have owned a Quark AA2 Tactical, I also own a Shiningbeam Blaze. The quality of the Quark is very good but I would rank the Blaze on a higher level due to the thicker body and solid feel. Does the Caveman have superior build quality to the Quarks?

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Yes. The Inova X2. Now supplied w/ a clip. And it's at 280/10 lumens.

My Caveman is still my favorite 2AA light, and I got it 1/28/2012. I think it may be discontinued though. I don't see it at the main website, nor do I see it on his eBay account...