Official "Firefly" Thread

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Re: OFFICIAL Firefly Thread

Dang... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif <font color="red">PayPal sent!!!</font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

This hobby costs to $#@%&! much money!!! Aaaaahhhhh!

souyou

Newly Enlightened

Sloped?
Oh, I didn't know that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hopefully, I will have some pictures of the head this week, so I can post them to show you what it will look like.

John Frederick

Enlightened

Question:

Does anyone know if the small size of this light will create possible heat damage to the LED. If the MM is set WFO and the light is set down and left on will it build up enough heat to damage the LED? I assume that it will probably get hot enough to cause a slight burn.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast

I haven't been able to test for that yet, but I expect from the results that Larry got with his original LL123 that the light will get hot if left on. That's why I chose the adjustable MadMax driver - if yours gets too hot, just adjust it down to a more comfortable (and incidentally longer-running) level. I don't recommend running the light at WFO, it's better to run it at a middling level. The batteries will last longer, too.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast

Almost, and not yet. We are at over 90 so far, not counting people using money orders, as they haven't had time to arrive yet.

I realize it is really ambitious, but I plan on making 200 of these lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
DSpeck said:
Almost, and not yet. We are at over 90 so far, not counting people using money orders, as they haven't had time to arrive yet.

I realize it is really ambitious, but I plan on making 200 of these lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Orders will probably shoot up after multiple reviews come in.

Brightnorm

LightChucker

Enlightened
Re: Official \"Firefly\" Thread

Saw the "Firefly" at the grocery store???

My wife and I were shopping this evening, and I happened to notice a small flashlight made by "GE" called the "Firefly". I don't know how all that trademark stuff works, but Maglight is causing ARC a lot of grief with less justification than this.

Chuck

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Official

Yeah, I saw those at the grocery store too. I was tempted to take a pic and post it here. It's just a generic 1AA incandescent light. As for the trademark, I think enough flashlights have been called Firefly in the past that one more isn't going to bother anyone.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

There shouldn't be any worries here... One light will not be mistaken for another...

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, it's quite a different light. I did a Google search, and there's also an emergency beacon/flashlight that pilots use that's called the Firefly Plus.

I'm hardly a threat to anyone at this stage, so I don't think there will be any problem with it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

Plus, our Firefly is not really for "commercial" sale, only here on CPF. Plus, the name is not being put on the light anywhere AFAIK.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually, I am working on getting a logo made, and am thinking about having it laser-engraved. If it works out, it will look very professional... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: Official \'\'Firefly\'\' Thread

There's a "Firefly" made by Tektite, but it's more of a marker light (5 orange LEDs that blink) rather than a true flashlight like this is.
At least you didn't call this light a "Firebug" because that's not good at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Go here to see Tektite's Firefly. (I see the page isn't quite done yet, but o well...)

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm, I guess that one won't be mixed up with mine, either... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Craig, I noticed you spelled it "Fire Fly" all the way through the page, not "Firefly" - is that because it is spelled like that on the packaging, or is that a typo? If that's how it is on the packaging, I have nothing to worry about...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
DSpeck said:
Craig, I noticed you spelled it "Fire Fly" all the way through the page, not "Firefly" - is that because it is spelled like that on the packaging, or is that a typo? If that's how it is on the packaging, I have nothing to worry about...

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing it's spelled that way on the package. It's spelled that way ("Fire Fly") on Tektite's website too.
So I guess you don't have to worry about it - at least not until I need to decide on a URL for it... "firefly.htm" is already being used. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

paulr

Flashaholic

I think the GE light says Firefly on the package (one word). I'll take a pic when I get a chance.