RacinPason

Newly Enlightened
It's done. It works. It looks great. The End

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

RacinPason

Newly Enlightened
So we have some super awesome problems. After working great for about 4 hours, the LED flickered blue a few times and now it does not turn on at all. I called the Streamlight service center and as near as were can figure the LED fried itself. I am getting a voltage oscillation from about 5.5vdc and 6.7vdc. at the LED. I tested an unmolested Vulcan LED and it is just under 3vdc. The only answer I got from the SL service center was to send it in for warranty.......well, that's probably void now :broke: Oppps.

My question is, what LED can I replace this one with that will handle 6vdc? I really don't know much about the circuitry of the C4 LED in the FV. Thanks for any help that can be provided!

I was looking at something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cree-XLamp-...526?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae3a23d8e

RacinPason

Newly Enlightened
Now that I think about it, I wonder if the oscillation is due to the main light being in flash mode? I'll have to check that tomorrow but that still does not explain the higher than normal voltage unless that is due to the driver trying to "jump start" the LED?

RacinPason

Newly Enlightened
The didn't lend anything. The guy at the local SL service center, which is an independent dealer, helped and that was probably out of morbid curiosity. SL themselves couldn't even tell me what voltage should be at the LED or even the voltage output of the battery. All those answers(or lack there of) came long before I let on what I had done to the light. Regardless of what I have done to this light, I have bought two of them....so I should get twice the support!!:twothumbs

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
My $0.02 is you need better heat sinking, believe me that aluminum mount was important. But it should be easy since the housing is metal and you could solder a round piece of brass/copper to the inside bottom of the head.
Mount a new LED star to that.
The MT-G2 is a much higher current LED than the original luxeon rebel that fried, not a good choice. The Cree XP-G or XP-E are closer to the original LED specs
I think your getting 5-6v readings because theres no load on the driver circuit, put in another 3v LED with better heat path and you should be okay
This light looks great by the way nice job hope you get it running again

RacinPason

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. I went down to Home Depot, grabbed a Defiant 3C cell LED light and ripped it a part. I soldered the LED in to the space where the old LED once resided. It worked! The new LED reads 2.8-2.9vdc and has been working for a few days now. This new LED does put out a slight amount less light but does work.

Thank you for the advice on the LEDs you mentioned. I will certainly look into those. Thank you very much. I appreciate the info, very much!