Old Fenix HL55 - Runtime Curves?

Stevie

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I like my old HL55, but I was recently enlightened regarding FL1 standards not being "entirely accurate"(let's say) regarding regulated runtime.

I have searched the forums for some old runtime curves for this light, but can't seem to find the ones I want, the lower outputs. I saw that Subwoofer did a nice review, but that was tailored for the turbo & high outputs, with runtime curves present for those.

I suppose I'm interested in knowing if the 165L Mid, 55L Low and 10L Eco are flat curves for the stated FL1 runtimes. If not, I'm interested in at what point do they drop off regulation.

Appreciate this is a long shot, but any help appreciated.

Thanks Steve

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I like my old HL55, but I was recently enlightened regarding FL1 standards not being "entirely accurate"(let's say) regarding regulated runtime.

I have searched the forums for some old runtime curves for this light, but can't seem to find the ones I want, the lower outputs. I saw that Subwoofer did a nice review, but that was tailored for the turbo & high outputs, with runtime curves present for those.

I suppose I'm interested in knowing if the 165L Mid, 55L Low and 10L Eco are flat curves for the stated FL1 runtimes. If not, I'm interested in at what point do they drop off regulation.

Appreciate this is a long shot, but any help appreciated.

Thanks Steve

I can really only try to provide an answer for part of your question, but not provide all the info you probably wish to know. FL1 'run time' is a basic replacement for having no standard at all, providing a standard way of rating output level (which didn't previously exist) and one measurement of run time, to provide a standard scheme so that various products can be directly compared using a common 'yard stick', but isn't a compete characterization of performance as many of us would like to have. Further characterization (such as actual graphs) is slowly becoming more commonly provided by some manufacturers, but not all, and is not specified by FL1.

As you likely learned, it rates the output level at a particular setting (H-M-L, etc) at the 30 second mark (to avoid ratings that are only valid for a few seconds, which were previously common), then rates the run time out to where the average user would likely choose to replace or recharge the batt, which they chose as 10% of the initial output level. That's it for output and run time specifically.

I'm fairly certain the same scheme applies to any / all the stated output levels provided by the light, not just the 'max' output level - meaning 'med', 'low', etc., and again do use the same scheme as above.

With most good lights output is (or may be) 'regulated' (in the true definition of the word - controlled), but that does not necessarily mean regulated to be 'flat'. Those are two different things in this case; for example power supplies and such are typically regulated to be flat, but flashlights often are not. They may indeed be regulated to be 'flat' on the lower output levels, but more often not 'flat' on the higher output levels. The manner in which they are 'regulated' can really only be best seen (other than a clumsy chart) using an output / time graph. Those are provided by more and more of the better manufacturers these days, but again are not part of FL1 specs. Initially those were typically limited to only 'max' output, but are increasingly being provided for multiple output settings by some manufacturers (such as Fenix, to their credit) on their recent products.

I don't know what was provided for your model when it was released - no output graph, one for only 'max' level, or graphing of all output levels (which I believe they typically do for all the newer models); however you're limited to what they supplied when it was released, and further detail is generally only available from independent testing / review such as the one you mentioned. You can likely find reviews / tests of your light from other such testers out there on the Web which may / may not provide all the data you want.

So yes, the stated output levels and run times are all to the same FL1-specified method for all output levels as for the 'max' level (30 sec. down to 10%). They are probably 'regulated', but that does not necessarily mean 'flat' regulation, and probably are not 'flat'. They are often regulated to do some ramping down to optimize usable run time (based on time), or are regulated to control temperature - the latter being either predetermined ramping, or directly by a closed-loop temperature sensing and control design. With a somewhat older model, you may see an output graph for the 'max' output level (if that), but probably not for all output levels. Any additional performance characterization is probably only available from independent testers / reviewers, and may very well be available, but you'll have to look around further to determine that.

Other than that, I'm really looking forward to Silverstone this weekend!!

'Hope that helps'.

Last edited:

Stevie

Newly Enlightened
Fenix did publish curves on their site for the HL55, it's just that I can't remember them...

From my experience with the whole FL1 thing, the higher outputs of most lights deplete quite steeply (even though they claim some flat regulation). However, the lower outputs do tend to be regulated fairly flat and I have a feeling that this light is no different. It's just I have no idea how long for. For example, Fenix claim 55L for 30 hrs. I'm willing to bet that it will attain 55L flat(ish) regulation curve for at least 25 hrs, before gradually tailing off to the 10% FL1 output. I'd love to confirm it.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix did publish curves on their site for the HL55, it's just that I can't remember them...

From my experience with the whole FL1 thing, the higher outputs of most lights deplete quite steeply (even though they claim some flat regulation). However, the lower outputs do tend to be regulated fairly flat and I have a feeling that this light is no different. It's just I have no idea how long for. For example, Fenix claim 55L for 30 hrs. I'm willing to bet that it will attain 55L flat(ish) regulation curve for at least 25 hrs, before gradually tailing off to the 10% FL1 output. I'd love to confirm it.
Note that I did edit / clean up my post a bit as you were posting, but didn't change it substantially.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was also a review by Subwoofer showing the curves from his own tests

Stevie

Newly Enlightened
There was also a review by Subwoofer showing the curves from his own tests

Yes, but only at the two higher outputs. I'm looking for the curves on the lower modes...

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I had missed that. I'm afraid those aren't available: I checked a website that has all the screenshots and none showed the runtime curves.