Old flashlights found at antique store

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
I thought someone might think these are cool.
I don't have any idea if the price is decent.

Attachments

• 515D4731-CBAC-4C27-85BD-320343AA68E7.jpeg
    515D4731-CBAC-4C27-85BD-320343AA68E7.jpeg
    308.2 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

3_gun

Enlightened
For "untested" lights the price is high. For clean, undamaged & working lights not unreasonable. The Winchester light would be the one I'd look over first, I'm not a big fan of "fish eye" but that wouldn't stop me from buying a really nice one.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Both are nice and clean. Lights like that usually don't work but not because they are broken, but because contact parts are tarnished. Either that or the bulb is burnt. Either way, they're usually easy to get going. Clean contact points with tarnish remover like deoxit. A digital volt meter set to ohm's with sound will tell you where current stops. Just hold the ground to the body and touch contact points like the switch or spring etc and where you don't get a beep is where current is stopped. Clean that part it'll beep and then move to the next point.

If they do work but the light is dim, again tarnish creates a higher resistance. A good cleaning is usually all it takes. With the volt meter you'll see the ohms drop as you clean parts. I've seen 17 ohms drop to less than 5 when cleaning old lights.

The E10 (screw in) bulb for the 1930's light are easy to come by. Same with PR bulbs for the 1950's light. Top Bulb is one source. Bulb Town, Eiko and others.

For some reason Winchester lights usually go for higher prices than Eveready. In my view as clean as those lights are the prices aren't bad.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
We were traveling for a wedding and biding our time until it started. Nearby were a couple of antique stores, one had the lights.
I assume the prices reflected some elbow grease (by somebody) to get them cleaned up so nicely.