Olight heat sink

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
So last night I was using my Olight Warrior X3 to do a search for someone and darn that sucker got hot. I know many folks hate step downs on brightness, but this sucker got so hot I had to click it down to low mode. Anyone else have issues with Olights heat sink or lack there of?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
this sucker got so hot I had to click it down to low mode
Sorry to hear the thermal regulation is ineffective.. here is a review that did not pick up on that issue:

"Performance: X 3 provides just over one minute of High before it steps down to a thermally sustainable level...
Thermal regulation: This is the first Olight I've ever seen with any hint of active thermal regulation. It's not the full active regulation I'd like to see, but it's a start! The stepdown from High mode appears to be timed, but after that stepdown it appears to actively adjust the brightness based on temperature."

Maybe the thermal regulation in your sample is defective. If you contact Olight, they might offer to "fix", or replace your light for you.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Sorry to hear the thermal regulation is ineffective.. here is a review that did not pick up on that issue:

"Performance: X 3 provides just over one minute of High before it steps down to a thermally sustainable level...
Thermal regulation: This is the first Olight I've ever seen with any hint of active thermal regulation. It's not the full active regulation I'd like to see, but it's a start! The stepdown from High mode appears to be timed, but after that stepdown it appears to actively adjust the brightness based on temperature."

Maybe the thermal regulation in your sample is defective. If you contact Olight, they might offer to "fix", or replace your light for you.
Honestly this the reason I stayed away from high lumen lights. I always felt that they would burn themselves out.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stayed away from high lumen lights
I do too.. High outputs for brief periods, that create excess heat, is not very useful to me. I would rather use Medium outputs that can be Sustained for long periods, without heat concerns.

I look for charts that show the Sustainable output of a light, for example, this chart shows your light should be able to Sustain about 1200 lumens for about 1 hour. (the yellow line)
runtimes-2.jpg

I think that assumes that the light is left On, so it has time to implement its step downs. otoh, I think the step down timer starts over each time the light is turned on and off. Using the High mode repeatedly during a short timeframe can cause overheating..

that chart also shows that the 250 lumen mode (the red line) would last over 7 hours, without any heat issues, and without any output step downs.. that is the output that I would rely on primarily.

I would try to only use the 1200 lumen mode for brief periods, and then go back to the 250 lumen mode for the majority of the time the light is On.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened

They also cannot sell more lights if their lights last forever.... If it burns its self out, then you have to buy a new one. Just like with their specialty batteries. Once its dead, you have to get a new light.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
with their specialty batteries. Once its dead, you have to get a new light.
actually the battery is available separately

If you save the high mode for brief uses, and use the low mode as the primary function, maybe the Olight can serve your needs without burning your hand.

Your Olight on low, has the same output as an HDS.. 250 lumens.. The Olight just has an extra "momentary handwarmer mode" lol ;-)

I hope you find a light that suits your needs well, if not the Olight, maybe back to basics.. Surefire, Malkoff, Elzetta?

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
actually the battery is available separately

If you save the high mode for brief uses, and use the low mode as the primary function, maybe the Olight can serve your needs without burning your hand.

Your Olight on low, has the same output as an HDS.. 250 lumens.. The Olight just has an extra "momentary handwarmer mode" lol ;-)

I hope you find a light that suits your needs well, if not the Olight, maybe back to basics.. Surefire, Malkoff, Elzetta?
Well my back up is the streamlight stinger at work. I just like the olight to check the woods for people or wildlife. The low on the olight does great for contacts and the high mode works great to cut through window tint.

I do own a couple of different items, an old 4sevens quark x tac, a surefire 6pd with a malkoff drop and an elzetta alpha for around town.

I wouldn't say I'm a hoarder, more like a connoisseur...