Olight M3XS-UT Javelot (3 or 4x CR123a/ 2x 18650, XP-L Dedomed, 1200 lumens) Review

Beckler

Enlightened
Ok, I was going by the user manual which states 'XP-L high intensity'. But the description where I bought it does say dedomed, and it doesn't appear like the XPL HI with the flush cover on top, so it is dedomed. Is there an XPL HI version and is it a big color difference?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you search the forum for this light there is a thread that lists which M3XS UT's have de domed XML2's and which ones have real XP-L HI's. Had my M3XS awhile and love it. Throws farther than I can even see. As for cells I have 2 of the no longer for sale protected 3600mah Orbtronic NCR18650G's in it and they do quite fine. They are also very fat cells. Easily thicker than my protected GA's. That being said you could run unprotected flat top GA's as there is a spring in the head of the light. Tint out of my light is halogen yellow. Have no idea why but have no problem with it.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I was going by the user manual which states 'XP-L high intensity'. But the description where I bought it does say dedomed, and it doesn't appear like the XPL HI with the flush cover on top, so it is dedomed. Is there an XPL HI version and is it a big color difference?

You have an XP-L HD with a mini dome :) Green tint:green:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast

There might be. The XPL HI tint is normal. There is, this: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/46776

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay did some research. The M3XS UT being sold today are listed as having an XP-L HI. V2 or V3 is anybodies guess. I now am totally convinced my copy started out as a XP-L HD V5 that was de domed by Olight then covered in a square wafer of silicone or something protective. It is the only way I can explain the lights tint. I now have several V2 and V3 XP-L HI lights and none of them have tint anywhere near the actual Cree manufactured HI's. Have the M23 inbound I will have it next week. It is listed as having a "customized" XP-L. Having watched several M23 videos I am convinced the in house de doming of a V5 is also the case for the M23 which is actually just fine really.

Theodore41

Enlightened
I found a site selling the light and I am confused,because,I see this first,
Key Features:
Beam Distance: 1000m
CD: 250,000
Waterproof Rating: IPX8 (waterproof up to 2 meters)
Impact Rating: 1m
LED: Cree XP-L high intensity
Compatible Batteries: 3x CR123A, 4xCR123A or 2x 18650 (with included extender tube)

and then the following.
  • Warm White (2700-3500K). Is this sensible?

kj2

Flashaholic
I found a site selling the light and I am confused,because,I see this first,
Key Features:
Beam Distance: 1000m
CD: 250,000
Waterproof Rating: IPX8 (waterproof up to 2 meters)
Impact Rating: 1m
LED: Cree XP-L high intensity
Compatible Batteries: 3x CR123A, 4xCR123A or 2x 18650 (with included extender tube)

and then the following.
  • Warm White (2700-3500K). Is this sensible?
Wouldn't rate the tint that warm. My sample isn't really cool white since it has a greenish tint. Would rate the tint between 5000-5700 kelvin.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't rate the tint that warm. My sample isn't really cool white since it has a greenish tint. Would rate the tint between 5000-5700 kelvin.
I agree. More green than yellow or orange. I wouldn't call it warm. Maybe a light green neutral. ?

Theodore41

Enlightened
I found a store which sells the light with the following specs.
"Customized Cree XP-L LED flashlight".
Which tint has this version?

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found a store which sells the light with the following specs.
"Customized Cree XP-L LED flashlight".
Which tint has this version?
Custom is the olight dedome = greener tint
If it says HI then it may be the less green tint. But they mixed terms in the marketing saying custom and HI so the only way to be sure IMO is to work with a retailer that will inspect and report which they have (edit: if you're keen on getting the HI version).

shooterSVT

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone. Thanks for the review and for all the great comments. I just got my M3XS-UT bundle delivered today. I'm still charging the 18650s so haven't turned it on yet. Can't wait for it to get dark!!!

My question is did we ever come to a consensus on using just three (3) RCR123a? At 3.7V, we'd be under the 12V maximum. I love the idea of using rechargeables in the shortened version of the light for regular use, and throw the extra tube and the big 18650s in when I anticipate more than just scaring the neighbor's cat.

Thanks in advance,

Todd

Taz80

Enlightened
3.7 volts is the nominal voltage, they (when new) charge to 4.18 - 4.20 volts. You would be safer to use 2 18500 batteries.

shooterSVT

Newly Enlightened
Good point. I forgot about the fresh of the charger voltage.

I will say compared to my Nitecore MT10C the color is greenish. Less obvious outside on its own though. Crazy throw, no doubt about that.

RemcoM

Enlightened
I see almost no difference in throw, between my M2X UT, and my M3X UT,

So, when the M3X, was giving 400 kcD, instead of 250 kcD, then it was worth it, but, the M2X is 160 kcD, but the M3X UT, seems like not really more than 160 kcD too.

Its very disappointing.

But i really need a TK61vn, with 700 kcD, or a LEMAx LE 70, new special edition HID Searchlight, with a throw, over 4 kilometers.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see almost no difference in throw, between my M2X UT, and my M3X UT,

So, when the M3X, was giving 400 kcD, instead of 250 kcD, then it was worth it, but, the M2X is 160 kcD, but the M3X UT, seems like not really more than 160 kcD too.

Its very disappointing.

But i really need a TK61vn, with 700 kcD, or a LEMAx LE 70, new special edition HID Searchlight, with a throw, over 4 kilometers.

The perceived difference between 250 and 400kcd is noticeable in a side by side comparison, but not huge.
A throw of 4km, what would you use it for?

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened
Almost a year ago I bought a whole array of olights, including M3XS-UT and M23 Javelots. The M2XS-UT is a beast, very impressive throw. Mine appears to be the de-domed LED as it's noticeably greener than my M23 and other olights.

I use it in 2 x 18650 config, leave it in my truck with tailcap lockout. And that's where it typically stays. The M23 is just all-around more useful, quite powerful yet a relatively compact size; I liked it so much I bought a second one for me and a third as a gift for a relative. The M3XS-UT is brighter and has a farther throw, but personally I just don't run into many situations where I need the extra umph. At the lake or something else on the water, I could see it being very useful.

kj2

Flashaholic
Doubt that Cancow. If they would make a thrower 26650 light, it would probably be based on the R50.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
all this time later the M2X and the M3XS still have no equal when it comes to their compact size. Love the M23 as well. None of them have any green to them at all in my case fortunately...got the SR52UT as well...all these lights throw farther than I can even see all are more than bright enough. Was considering the K70 but do not see the point. I would need binoculars to see what I am lighting up with something like the K70

Latest posts