Olight open 2 - ink refills not working

gringogigante

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have the Open 2? The ink cartridge that it came with didn't work. So, I put in the refill they provided, and it doesn't work either! Anyone have the same problem? What are some after market refills that work with this pen?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
This might help.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
When my pens shipped they had a tiny wax like coating on the tips you have to remove before they will write. It takes some effort to get the coating off with your finger nail. Did you remove that coating?

Sometimes it helps to pour a few drops of rubbing alcohol on a piece of paper then try to write something to remove any dried ink.

As far as I know the refills for O light pens are cut down to a special size so you can not use normal over the counter refills. I will measure mine when I get home. If your in a hurry you can cut down some Pilot G2 gel refills to length and use them but be warned it can get very messy.

You can email O light and they will likely send you new refills if your pen is new. On their site you can also add a 3 pack of refills to your shopping cart for free. This is only good for 1 pack then you have to pay for the rest of the refills. So if they offer to ship you new refills under warranty ask if you can use that coupon at the same time.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess "proprietary" flashlight cells are a fate worse than death, but "proprietary" ink cartridges are OK. Interesting.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vic had a good point as to why proprietary flashlight batteries are okay.
I have a lot of good points / reasons of my own already (so there's me and Vic - it's a very small club), but one that comes to mind: I've been using them for well over a decade in my Strions, and they're great cells. Best flashlight experiences I've ever had have been my Strions. That's all the reason I need. That said, all "proprietary" cells are not created equal, and generalizing often isn't wise.

I was just waiting for someone to pipe in about bespoke pen refills, but I bet you no one does. That was the sole point of my post, but some may have missed it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
This is why I EDC both a separate pen along with separate dedicated lights. Excellent point above though about the little ball of wax on the end of a new refill. I just carefully use my teeth to pull that thing off.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
I completely forgot to measure the refills on friday. Nice to know there is an alternative refill available. Of course they are more expensive than the originals though. Sometimes I hate being Canadian, everything costs more than it should!

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
As much as Canadian prices are bad things are worse in Pakistan. Some people I know paid 10-almost 11 times what I paid for a Belgian import here in USA with how their taxes are. It is reasonable prices in North America on everything.

I buy EU goods and sometimes I have to pay for shipping twice, VAT even though I'm exempt, conversion fees, and bank wire costs. Nevermind long wait times of up to 6 months.

BrightestBulb

Newly Enlightened
I bought the O'Pen Mini...liked it so much bought 2 more. Small for the pocket and with the bolt to release the cartridge you never have to worry about the pen popping open and leaving ink in your pocket. Most importantly, they always write.