Olight S1 Baton with TIR Optic (XM-L2 1xCR123A, 1xRCR123A) Review

dJippe

Newly Enlightened
I allready lost my first one. Today i bought second one. Have to say, maybe the best beam shape, size and color for small edc flaslight. No green tint, littlebit less spill and more usable light in field of vision.

My only worry is how durable that TIR lens is? Does anyone keep this pocket with keys or coins?

edit: great review, confirms that my choice between s1 and s10r was right.

Last edited:

UnderPar

Enlightened
Really love everything about this light. Intensity, beam pattern ( which is really big! ), built, size, side switch, mode spacing, etc. Well, its Olight!

StillRunning

Newly Enlightened
Nice review. I run frequently in the dark on both streets and trails. This light sounds like a great handheld option. Going to put this one on my radar!

HerecomestheBoom

Newly Enlightened
Awesome review and pics man, thanks a lot
thumbsupsmiley.gif

jeffsf

Newly Enlightened
Great review and than you for the comparison with the S10 that I have loved over the past couple years. While I do like the spill of the S10 for the ways I generally use a light, the smaller package and a switch that is less prone to accidental activation are plusses for me.

(<V>)

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review CL!

Someone said this light lacks a low voltage indicator... does this mean it won't warn you before auto-shutoff or that it additionally won't sense / shut off in time to save my IMR cells?
Any special precautions when using IMR cells in this light?
Noob question I know... :wave:

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone said this light lacks a low voltage indicator... does this mean it won't warn you before auto-shutoff or that it additionally won't sense / shut off in time to save my IMR cells?
Any special precautions when using IMR cells in this light?
Noob question I know... :wave:

The light does lack neither low voltage indicator nor overdischarge protection, as it's a CR123A (primary) cell powered mainly.
So the light will not let you know a low battery warning or will not shut off automatically.

IMR 16340 cells don't have built in overdischarge protection. You can shut the light off and recharge IMR cell when the light gets very dim. But you should be careful not to drain the cell beyond recovery. S1 is not a heavily driven light and you'd rather not use a IMR cell. As a result, I would recommend you use an ICR 16340 protected cell of good quality in the light. :)

Etherealicer

Newly Enlightened
• Possibility of accidental activation from off, due to the slightly protruded switch
Accidental activation can be prevented by putting the clip over the button. Of course this makes it harder to access the button (Works also for the S10R, but not the S10).

gteague

Newly Enlightened
i wrote the following blurb at the going gear website where i took advantage of a pre-order discount on this new titanium s1 version. i got the 'bead blasted' model and i see they are releasing at least a half-dozen variations on the titanium theme. of all the variants i've seen, i like the looks of the bead blasted one the best and i got a very low serial number to boot just by the luck of the pre-order draw i guess.

"nicer looking in the hand than in the images. just thought i'd mention it's quite a bit heavier than the first s1 (46.8g) at 58.0g. this makes it feel more solid and of better quality.

one thing i noticed right away is that on the original s1 if you turn it off in moonlight mode, then it will come back on in that mode on a short press the next time. this does not work on this new light and i like the original behavior much better as you can keep it in the moonlight mode.

in short, i'm very pleased indeed with this purchase and this light will go with me everywhere although it's so pretty i'm gonna hate to see it take dings. /guy"

http://bit.ly/1Qr3vv1

Last edited:

gteague

Newly Enlightened
Accidental activation can be prevented by putting the clip over the button. Of course this makes it harder to access the button (Works also for the S10R, but not the S10).

i orient my clip to run right next to the button. this both protects against an accidental activation and serves as a 'guide' to let me follow the clip up to the button. these are so tiny and the button is so nearly flush that if you're not looking at it when you pull it out you can fumble around to find the button. /guy

Last edited:

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
i orient my clip to run right next to the button. this both protects against an accidental activation and serves as a 'guide' to let me follow the clip up to the button. these are so tiny and the button is so nearly flush that if you're not looking at it when you pull it out you can fumble around to find the button. /guy

That's a good idea as well. Thanks for the tip. gteague!
By the way, S1-bead blasted version looks so nice.

Etherealicer

Newly Enlightened
That's a good idea as well. Thanks for the tip. gteague!
By the way, S1-bead blasted version looks so nice.
Yes, and the polished looks good... also, when do we get to read your S2 review :poke:

(yes, I know it is not out yet)

I do that when chances are high I'm going to need the flashlight (like on a night hike). I put the clip completely over the button when the flashlight rides in the backpack (I'm really not a heavy user).

Mr. LED

Enlightened
No lock-out from the switch? That's a deal breaker for me :(

I have a S10-L2 NW and the lock-out is a must. The first time I EDCed it, I found the light on in my pocket a couple of times.