Olight S10R II Baton (XP-L HD, 1x RCR123A/CR123A, Rechargeable) Review

Bodstrup

Newly Enlightened
Re: Olight S10R II Baton failing to turn on

I bought a S10R Baton II two days ago, yesterday it started to mis-behave, not turning on.

I have been able to make it work by placing it on the charger and removing it again - sometimes several times needed.

I am sure the problem is in the tailcap. If I bridge the light barrel with the '-' end of the battery with a piece of metal, the light will turn on overtime.

Looking at the design of the tail cap, there must be a switch there that disconnects the central spring from the main part of the tailcap when charging. If it did not, the cap would short-circuit and not run current through the battery (after all, you need to wire both the + and - ends of a battery in order to charge.

I believe the problem is that this switch does not always re-set when removing the tailcap from the charger.

I will go to the dealer today and try another tailcap if possible

Blackbird_CaD_

Newly Enlightened
How come Olight says that S10R Baton II has a max run time of 168 hours, and that S10C Baton has 360 hours?
Is the battery life really that much worse on S10R Baton II?

kj2

Flashaholic
The C version is released later than the standard R, afaik. Technology doesn't stop, so there could be more energy efficient components inside. But if those numbers are correct, there is a lot of difference indeed.

dazzleaj

Newly Enlightened
I have had mine for about one year and all I have ever seen is 3.86v when charged. I had it clipped to a ball cap while under a house for about 4 hours and it lasted on the medium setting. Quite enough light to work at arms length. As soon as I hit max output it died. Unscrewed the tail cap all the way off, counted to 3 and put it back on. I had low and Medium again. That seems to fix all my gremlins too.

Unless I am going to clip it onto a ball cap I turn the clip around so the lens is in the pocket and the tail is up. Nice to be able to do that easily. Always afraid of cracking the lens with a tool or putting fingerprints on it when it is sticking up.

I had the "not blue one" but never checked its charged voltage. It was almost new when this one came out and I gave it to a friend who stuck it to the dash of his work van. It is one of his most prized tools!

It was the review here that got me to buy the II. I have given a few out as presents and those who have them now have EDC lights! A first for each of them. I don't feel guilty for bringing them to the "Light Side"! All have told me stories that start out with something like "You remember that little light you gave me?" and end up with something like "Boy it really saved....". Nice feeling actually.

I have many lights, close to 100, from cheep to several hundred USD. If I had to pick just one, this would be one of the finalists.

Latest posts