Olight S15 (XM-L2, 1xAA/2xAA/3xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO + more!

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great, thanks sb. I figured they would, as not being able to would be a rather major drawback (always requiring a powered USB hub or laptop to charge), but you never know. Olight has really started to show themselves as a smart company. Very nice workable and aesthetic designs balanced with reasonable pricing.

Looks like their charging base has an LED indicator that lets you know when charging is done too. I'll look forward to your review!

Btw, I think the S15 is one of the best 1xAA lights around for the price. The magnetic tailcap is so convenient. I keep one stuck to the side of my refrigerator for quick use around the house. Something rolled under the stove and you can't see it? Grab the S15 to shed some light. I just wish the switch didn't protrude as much. I've accidentally activated it in my pocket... and run the battery dry, until I started leveraging the lockout feature. But then, I'm finding a slight turn of the tailcap is more convenient. :)

ronniepudding

Enlightened
I removed the outer bezel ring, ( threaded on) then pushed the pill with the reflector out from the back using a gluestick (to not damage the driver) then un-threaded the reflector, then unsoldered the original star with the XM-L2 emiter. I then filed the sides of a 16mm Noctigon containing a Nichia 219B emitter so it would fit in the pill, then placed in in and soldered the leads back in place with some thermal paste under the star. ( red lead to + and black lead to -)
I then clipped the plastic "posts" of the original centering plastic plate and centered it on the star over the emitter, then carefully re-threaded the reflector back in place making sure the emitter remained as centered as possible, then the lens and bezel ring.

How is the beam post-upgrade to the 219B? Given the smooth reflector designed for XM-L2, I'd be afraid of introducing rings and other artifacts when switching to an entirely different emitter.

Orlyg1521ab

Newly Enlightened
I have had mine now for 6+ months. Overall a good light, good light tint, good clip but the one thing that isn't is the activation button. At least a few times a week it switches on while in my pocket, its become a game to my kid: "how many times can I catch dad's light on". I find I have to lock it in the off position which to me isn't ideal. I started carrying it with a single Enloop AA which made it a great EDC, small, invisible carry. But then I chose to switch to the 2-AA extension tube due to this review (the increased run time and output), it makes for a much longer carry but still doable in my front pocket.

editor

Newly Enlightened
Hi Selfbuilt, Hi forum, four years since this review was written, we all had many other, great flashlights since. Still, S15 is one of my favorites, didn't lose any of it's definite values such as simplicity, versatility in feed and rationality of build. What I especially love is tha part mostly challanged by others: the button. Yes, it can turn on suddenly in a pocket, but still it is the most pleasant to press button feel among the Baton line. It is not overdriven than some of latest lights so if they still sold it I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a real-life economic, well sized light with versatile powering options. A real surviver.