Olight S1A Baton (XM-L2, TIR, 1x AA/14500) Review

kj2

Flashaholic
Shortly after Olight released their S2A Baton light, they also released the S1A. The S1A is the successor of the S15 Baton, and the smaller brother of the S2A, which I reviewed before. That review can be found here.
The S1A runs off 1x AA or 1x 14500 battery. Using a Cree XM-L2 led it has a max output of 600 lumens, when using a li-ion 3.7V 14500 battery. When it's been driven on one AA battery, the max output
is 220 lumens.

2zr1b7l.jpg

al2p03.jpg

The packaging:

The S1A comes in Olight's nowadays standard translucent box with information and specifications written on it.
Inside the box you'll find; the S1A, one included Olight non-rechargeable lithium AA battery, multi-language manual and a lanyard.

The pocketclip is already attached to the light. The battery is inside the light.

2a6ruzc.jpg
2j3pavs.jpg

qs9r8j.jpg
27zan3k.jpg

15z5yrn.jpg

Before you going to use the light, make sure to remove the insulating film.

6t0mxz.jpg

A close-up look on the included Olight lithium iron battery. The bare cell is made by a battery manufacturer called NICE, and has a capacity of 2900 mAh.

28uh9h1.jpg

Note; the S1A also works on any regular alkaline or NiMH AA battery.

Features and Specifications: (given by Olight)

[h=5]KEY FEATURES:[/h]
  • Cree XM-L2 LED
  • Powered by one AA battery. Conventional output: 0.5 lumens, 5 lumens, 50 lumens, 220 lumens,
  • strobe mode at 10Hz. Special output: turbo mode at 600 lumens (only available when 14500 rechargeable lithium battery is used)
  • High light transmission rate TIR lens resulting in a balanced and useful beam
  • Eco-friendly AL6061-T6 aluminum alloy body with anti-scratch Milspec type-III hard anodized finish and a blue PVD stainless steel ring on the switch and bezel
  • Controlled by a thermal protection program, the turbo mode is limited to 1 minute and then the brightness gradually steps down to 50% of the initial brightness (only available when 14500 rechargeable lithium battery is used)
  • Built-in timer: Short timer (3 minutes) or Long timer (9 minutes)

[h=5]INCLUDED ACCESSORIES:[/h]
  • Lanyard
  • User Manual
  • 1.5V Lithium Iron Disulfide Battery

MSRP: $50

2niskzq.jpg

xdeequ.jpg
96daxf.jpg

2586wap.jpg
1zqq33a.jpg

1zojl6q.jpg
n4t6qg.jpg

The S1A features most common Olight highlights. The blue bezel and ring around the side-switch. Also the TIR lens we seen often in smaller Olight flashlight is present. This lens provides a clean even beam, which
is great for EDC. Specially when you need light on a closer distance, it's more pleasant for my eyes. The S1A has, just like the S2A, a large hotspot which goes smoothly into the spill.
The magnet is the tailcap is also there. Handy, when you need your hands free :)
At the head is the side-switch that operates the light. The switch cover is made from rubber to provide some grip. The switch is lays flat with the body, to prevent accidental activation. It does make the switch
a bit hard to find in the pitch dark. In the tailcap is a slot for lanyard attachment. There isn't a low voltage indicator built in the side switch.
Pocketclip allows for head-up carry and can't be reversed. Laser engraving is sharp and my sample came without any anodizing flaws.

24gj5lv.jpg
tyx5y.jpg

a3fiw7.jpg
rrp2zp.jpg

The knurling on the light provides some extra grip, but since the light is small it already covered by my entire hand.

Fit and finish is excellent has we expect from Olight. The S1A looks to have square cut threads which are very smooth and well cut. Olight puts some lube on the threads during assembly.
At the positive polarity-end is a solid point for the battery to make contact. It looks like the magnet is removable, but Olight doesn't provide something to fill up the hole.

14119j9.jpg
2i06t1c.jpg

2rxjz45.jpg

Yeah, it is s small light. Or are my hands that big?! :p

2aan3wm.jpg
20r2vlv.jpg

User Interface:

Click the switch once to turn On and Off. Press and hold from Off to access Moonlight mode.
While On; press and hold to cycle between Low > Med > High > Turbo.
Double click from Off for High or Turbo, depending on which battery you use (AA/14500). Triple click for Strobe in any mode.

The S1A has mode memory for every output mode.

Timer: The light contains two timer settings: long timer (9 minutes) and short timer (3 minutes). Double click the side switch to enter this setting. Output blinks once for the 3 minutes short timer, two blinks means long timer.
Double click the switch to toggle between short and long timer. The light will automatically shut off when the timer is ended.

Indoor Beamshots/ Outdoor Beamshots:
ISO400, f/5.6, 1/100 sec - Canon 500D - Light approx 30cm/ camera 1m in front of wall.

S1A: Low-Med-High-Turbo

1twp6v.jpg
11h7af5.jpg
2hdp82p.jpg
1z1zfqr.jpg

S2A: Low-Med-High-Turbo

f9m44g.jpg
12151rd.jpg
2i6i6x5.jpg
fmhu9v.jpg

ISO400, f/5.6, 3.2 sec
Focus!? Focus!? sorry for that. :oops:

S1A: Right 220 lumens - Left 600 lumens

o0yvx4.jpg
263vgwg.jpg

14729887712785336.gif

Size comparison:

flfsr9.jpg

(L to R: Olight AA, S1A, Olight S10R II, Zebralight SC5, Olight S2A)

Pros and Cons:

+ Lightweight and short
+ Well spaced modes
+ Clean beam
+ Removable magnet
+ AA or 14500 battery choice

- Clip not reversible
- No Low voltage indicator

Conclusion:

In my opinion the S1A is a great light to carry around with you. It's small, doesn't weight a lot and still has a decent output when you're using an alkaline or NiMH battery. And when you're running a 14500 it gets crazy!
600 lumens is so much, for this type of light. The Turbo mode is limit so it won't run for a long time. I did expect that it would get hot in Turbo, but because my hand covers most of the light, heat could disappear from the light quickly.
The UI is simple and covers your light needs. The Strobe is hidden what some users prefer. The clip holds well so losing it, will be difficult when properly clipped.
You could go a tad smaller with the S10R II but that one has a large diameter. Plus, you would lose the AA battery format.

The Olight S1A Baton was supplied by Adola for review.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the review kj2! Ive had the S1A since it came out and it compliments my S1 perfectly. Both lights are still so small theyd be easy to lose track of in a deep pocket. These Olights have gotten me on a thumb sized light kick. Have the Fenix RC09 on the way got the V11R and Jetbeam Jet II pro. I am loving these things!