Olight S30R Baton II (XM-L2 U3 1x18650, 2xCR123A) with Charging Dock Review

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outstanding review,Candle Lamp! :thumbsup:

I have some questions about this light. The button is different on this light than on the old S30R. It looks like it´s not as deep recessed on this S30R II. Have you had any accidental activation when carrying this light? On old versions of the S-series, there was issues with the charging docks. Has this light performed well with it´s charging dock without any issues?

I'm no the guy you asked, but I own the light as well and would like to give my impressions:

1. The button sticks up ever so slightly above the body of the light. It looks like this:

inv9hPq.jpg

But in reality the button is now a silicone covering over a smaller button underneath, and the actual button is slightly recessed inside the light. I've had no accidental activation with this light. I'm sure its still possible, but it hasn't been a problem for me.

2. The charging issue with the last generation was actually related to the tailcap. The center pin connection on the tailcap was springy and it would get lint and dirt and crap down in there, causing intermittent connections. The new tailcap has solid metal connection points that do not move, so there's no where for that crud to build up. Instead, the springy bit has been moved to the charging base. This design looks like it would be a lot more resistant to those issues. Here's a quick photo of my tailcap and the new charger base:

aesMoGl.jpg
Q1moSN3.jpg

Hope this helps. If you've got questions just ask.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outstanding review,Candle Lamp! :thumbsup:

I have some questions about this light. The button is different on this light than on the old S30R. It looks like it´s not as deep recessed on this S30R II. Have you had any accidental activation when carrying this light? On old versions of the S-series, there was issues with the charging docks. Has this light performed well with it´s charging dock without any issues?

Thank you for your support. NorthernStar!

So far, I haven't had accidental activation in my small bag or pocket .
In my view, accidental activation is always a potential concern with electronic side button. You can lock out the light at the tailcap physically.

For the charging dock, it's well made, and two exposed metal surfaces (i.e., outside ring and a recessed inner circular contact) connect magnetically to the charging dock well when charging the battery. As I described in my review, the charging process and charged voltage are reasonably good without any issues.

I'm no the guy you asked, but I own the light as well and would like to give my impressions:

1. The button sticks up ever so slightly above the body of the light. It looks like this:

inv9hPq.jpg

But in reality the button is now a silicone covering over a smaller button underneath, and the actual button is slightly recessed inside the light. I've had no accidental activation with this light. I'm sure its still possible, but it hasn't been a problem for me.

2. The charging issue with the last generation was actually related to the tailcap. The center pin connection on the tailcap was springy and it would get lint and dirt and crap down in there, causing intermittent connections. The new tailcap has solid metal connection points that do not move, so there's no where for that crud to build up. Instead, the springy bit has been moved to the charging base. This design looks like it would be a lot more resistant to those issues. Here's a quick photo of my tailcap and the new charger base:

aesMoGl.jpg
Q1moSN3.jpg

Hope this helps. If you've got questions just ask.

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation and nice phictures. emarkd! :)

Camo5

Newly Enlightened
I think there are three of the main reasons for flickering. The first and second reason are respectively battery and contact surface of the threads, and another one is due to the circuit itself. If you experience the same issue, despite changing good quality 18650 cell and cleaning the contact surface, it's better for you to ask your dealer.
Looks like it was the threads.
Holding the tailcap screwed shut tightly renders the light operating normal.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
emarkd,thank you for your thorough explanation and nice pics!:)

Candle Lamp, great that you clarify that the issues with the charging dock is corrected on the S30R II.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Today i received my S30R II, so now i can test it in person.
IMAG0212_zpsity19ac8.jpg

The switch feels better than i thought, but i must further test it before i can give a verdict. Hower, i noticed that the charging dock works without issues. So far the charging dock charges the battery without any of the symptoms that has appeared on previous versions. I also noticed that the tailcap on the S30R II is different than on the other S10R-S30R series. It feels like a great light so far!

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today i received my S30R II, so now i can test it in person.
IMAG0212_zpsity19ac8.jpg

The switch feels better than i thought, but i must further test it before i can give a verdict. Hower, i noticed that the charging dock works without issues. So far the charging dock charges the battery without any of the symptoms that has appeared on previous versions. I also noticed that the tailcap on the S30R II is different than on the other S10R-S30R series. It feels like a great light so far!

Thank you for your feedback. NorthernStar! :)

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this is inappropriate to ask here, let me know and we'll get it removed.

Does anyone not use supplied base charger?
I assume most that charge via base, do it over night?

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for replying, figured a couple might fess up usage..

Myself, I'm fairly split between, in light and out of light charging.
Lately I've been leaving it on charger overnight too, it's just so handy.

Greasemonkeey

Newly Enlightened
I recently had a Fenix PD35 (lost it down a storm drain) and I'm thinking about buying this light. The one question I have is can I use and charge any 18650 in the light? Because I already have 6 18650 Orbtronic. Thanks.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use only a raised button-top 18650 battery in the light for normal use, but you can't recharge it inside the light. You will be able to charge either Olight 3200mAh or a Olight 3600mAh bundled battery in the light.

I recently had a Fenix PD35 (lost it down a storm drain) and I'm thinking about buying this light. The one question I have is can I use and charge any 18650 in the light? Because I already have 6 18650 Orbtronic. Thanks.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everybody, I'm new on the forum. I have a question, i bought Olight S30R and I notice that my charger led is blinking after battery is charged. is this normal?https://vimeo.com/150925736

Hi dziegma,

Welcome to CPF! :wave:

I didn't see your post. What you bought is S30R (i.e., not the new S30R II). Can you let me know the manufacturer, capacity, protected (or unprotected) of your 18650 li-ion cell?

Or already fix the issue on the light?

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi. I have S30R II. The battery looks like this.
6ebe4d2d938f23abbe978ac4715bfb31.jpg
bab0a91c0c83642031b4999d5853a421.jpg
60e6447ae398cc1421af59127670cd24.jpg
71013dd1aa3d45a267b98dbdf33008d9.jpg

Thanks for your information. You have the same light as my review sample.

I haven't experienced any issues with my sample since I did post my review. I used the light somtimes and charged the bundled 18650 (3600mAh) cell in the light several times. There were some issues on earlier version S30R due to the contact problem inside the light, and these were already fixed last year. No heard about the issue like yours with new version S30R II. Did you contact your dealer?

If you can't fix your problem with your local dealer, contact [email protected] directly.
Hope this is helpful.

dziegma

Newly Enlightened
Thank You for information. I will check few times, if it happens again i will contact to dealer. I let you know. Regards.

Edit:
Today I noticed that the same problem (blinking led) is when I charge my iPhone via external usb in the dock charger and the battery in iPhone is almost charged. I'm thinking that something must be wrong with the charging dock. I will try other micro usb cable and charger plug.

Last edited:

NaturalMystic

Newly Enlightened
Awesome review! I got an S10R Baton II a couple months ago and just received an S30R Baton II today. I notice the S30R's charging dock has a white ring around the magnetic contact whereas the S10R's doesn't. I also noticed that the S30R when seated on the S10R's base seems to wobble on the base a bit and when I put it on the S10R base it was a solid RED for about 4 seconds then would blink off for a fraction of a second.
I also noticed the S10R's base says "Micro-Dok" on it and has an Input of 5V DC and output of 4.55V, 750mA whereas the S30R's base has "Micro-Dok2" on it with input 5V DC also, but output 4.2V, 1000mAh.
Does anyone know if the charging bases are interchangeable? Basically I'm wondering if I need to walk with both bases when traveling.

425_

Newly Enlightened
Terrific review. I think this light may be on the to buy list

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the charging bases are interchangeable? Basically I'm wondering if I need to walk with both bases when traveling.

Thanks for your support!
I thought two charging bases are interchangeable, and tried to charge Olight 16340 with the S30R II charging dock. I found the charging current was too low (0.09A). But it was 0.22A with the S10R II charging dock. This seems to be due to the different specifications between the charging docks. This means that charing time with the S30R II will be much longer than expected and the final voltage of the 16340 will be lower than with it.