Olight X7 Marauder measurements (3x XHP70, 4x 18650)

Sen0rphil

Newly Enlightened
Neutral White. Love it so much.
2ce05b4c77ec3ecf2664fd0506ee1f57.jpg

marquesb51

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I'm new at this forum and don't know much about flashlights, so I had a question:

manufacturer of this light states the turbo S mode stands up for 2,5 minutes. Do you know what type of regulation drops down the output after approx. 2,5 mins.?
For example: If I go turbo S in winter temps., the overheating circuit kicks in later (or never, because batteries will drain sooner).
So I think there is another regulation, that drops down the output.
Can someone explain what regulation and what can be it's purpose?

Thank you very much!

Thorfire Flashlights

Newly Enlightened
Re: Olight X7 Marauder unboxing (3x XHP70, 4x 18650) review in progress

Still, you can melt styrofoam with the head... so don't leave the light unattended on Turbo S. Glad my runtime box started smelling bad.

This happened in under 2 minutes.

PT6HQfi.jpg
So,what happened to the flashlight? I mean how is the light.

Sen0rphil

Newly Enlightened
NW and CW X7.

Camera: Galaxy S7 Edge
ISO: 50
Shutter Speed: 2s
White Balace: auto with CW, manual on NW to reflect tint closest to reality.

Photos taken on a different night.

06e5dc5f997b1c34266d9a07149dc60c.jpg

Sen0rphil

Newly Enlightened
I just ran turbo S 9000lms for approx 25 min without dropping down with Samsung 30q cells. I used water cooling (putting under tap every 2-3 minutes). It only took about 5 seconds of running water for the flashlight to be cool again. I'd say there is a Great thermal path to LEDs.

This was after a 25min walk on low. After 25min on turbo S, it stepped down to turbo due to lower battery voltage.

BTW I Love the NW tint.

Last edited:

MonkY

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone! I want to buy this beast, but first can you please tell me if there is a way to instant go to Turbo S mode? Or you can get there just by going through the other modes?
Thanks in advance!

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone! I want to buy this beast, but first can you please tell me if there is a way to instant go to Turbo S mode? Or you can get there just by going through the other modes?
Thanks in advance!

From "off", a double click will provide the Turbo level. Another double click jumps to Turbo S, assuming the cells are capable. I do not know of any method to bypass any prior mode to jump directly to Turbo S.

Note also that Turbo S requires not only capable high-discharge cells, but the cells need to have an adequate charge level. What is the exact voltage that the cells have to maintain to support TurboS? unknown. A tester would have to use a separate power supply to ascertain that - and with appropriate high-current leads and contacts to the head. The springs for the cells are much stiffer than 'normal'.

Last edited:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have both the CW and NW versions of the X7?? Does the NW version appear to have less lumens than the CW version?

BTW, those photos look like they were taken somewhere in Australia.... but I could be wrong.

NW and CW X7.

Camera: Galaxy S7 Edge
ISO: 50
Shutter Speed: 2s
White Balace: auto with CW, manual on NW to reflect tint closest to reality.

Photos taken on a different night.

06e5dc5f997b1c34266d9a07149dc60c.jpg

Sen0rphil

Newly Enlightened
I had the cool white but had a few other little issues with it so I shipped it back and got a full refund. I then got the neutral white on a black Friday special $70 cheaper and I absolutely love everything about it. I will probably be upgrading to the x7r though!

Yes this is in Central Queensland, Australia ;)

Sen0rphil

Newly Enlightened
Nice to see an aussie flashlight maniac around here :).

The only thing I'm objecting about the X9 is the rediculous floody nature of the light, as that amount of like and 25k lumens would wash out everything in close distance, and there would be little usability in throw. I would have liked to see deeper reflectors and at least 500-600m throw. I'll definitely keep my eye on it though :)

Octavian

Newly Enlightened
X7R will came with a price and beside this you must be aware that 12000lm from 4 - 18650 cells and 3 XHP70 leds will not improve the step down or the overall runntime.

I like to see something powerful but little stable than something nice for impression but not reliable in a real situation.
But Olight till now thought to both of this and succeed to give nice combinations

Octavian

Newly Enlightened
Someone on the other forum asked, what is the output on Turbo S when the batteries are not full.

Here's runtime on turbo s with ~50% depleted batteries, charged to 3.9V. Total lumen-hours are about half.
Qtkax2i.png

So yes, 9000 lumens needs a high battery voltage. This also means that batteries that cannot sustain high voltage under high load, can't provide the max output, just like Olight said.
There are many IMRs which can sustain 10A with no issues, but little IMRs which can provide a high voltage to 8-10A load.

If X7 have protection discharge on board, I don't see the point with protected cells in it. I didn't see any good IMR cu PCB to provide same voltage under a same load with an unprotected IMR.
PCB have a big voltage influence under high loads.

If I understand correctly, with factory cells, at 3,9V can not provide the turboS any more.

With Samsung 30Q cells even at 3,6V turboS can be activated.
Also I find that Samsung30Q cells are better than 35E under high loads , after HKJ tests 30Q have higher voltage then 35E at 10A load (~3,4 vs ~3,25V )

Octavian

Newly Enlightened
The thermal stepdowns happens when the surface is at 54-56°C. The increase in output is not instant if you start cooling the light off after it has already stepped down due to heat.

Maukka: By curiosity I measured the temperature on TurboS (no fan) same results , head temp. ~55C and body~52C .
But what I find different (or I didn't understand correct your measurements ) to my X7 the turbo and TurboS can be activated almost instantly, head temp ~52C and turboS is available, when reach 55C it makes the step down, in few seconds temp go down to 50-52C, if I go thru first levels, or I turned off and on, turbo+turboS is available at this temperature.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW: ref difficulties with maintaining the TurboS output level even with correct cells.

I use my X7 with the Olight-supplied 3500mah cells for some evening walks. I was noticing wide variations in how fast the output dropped out of, or did not achieve the TurboS mode. Bringing along a DMM only frustrated me with the variations. Sometimes the OC voltage was in the 4.1+ range with no TurboS mode.

then I realized that the stiff springs for the cells had a better reason than just a no-bounce contact during jostling. a tight electrical contact is needed to support the high current flow at TurboS. So I used liberal amounts of DeoxIT D5 on all of the springs and battery contacts, even though they seemed clean. Suspicions confirmed. my copy of the X7 can now hold TurboS mode down in to the OC 3.9x volt range or even lower. as always, YMMV!

JimAShaw

Newly Enlightened
Bright light vs coyotes

I would love info from those of you that use bright lights vs animals.

My wife and I walk the two dogs in the evenings. My wife uses a walker so she is not able to help.

Here is the situation: In our area there are coyotes and a few neighbor dogs have been taken as a coyote tidbit which freaks out my wife.

Therefore, I walk both dogs, carry an Manker MK34 for look out and my wife wants me to also carry a 36" long, sharpened pole for added protection. All this plus pick up dog poop.

Which brings my light vs animal question.

I have been considering an Olight X7vn which has 21,000 lum.

Do you think an X7vn turboS mode would be so bright that pointed directly at a coyote plus yelling would startle the animal enough to turn him away that I could eliminate the 36" protection pole?

Keitho

Enlightened
Re: Bright light vs coyotes

I love my X7vn, and don't ever pass up a reason to recommend it to others...but, in my area, coyotes are not particularly skittish, and don't seem affected by light of any brightness. But, some coyotes (especially young ones in my area) are generally skittish about my presence, whether I shine light on them or not. So, if the light makes your wife feel safer, and you'll get some enjoyment out of it, I'd say pull the trigger.

For what its worth, I tend to split lights into different jobs and carry methods, rather than finding one do-it-all. Besides the lights backing each other up in case of a failure or dead battery, I can match the performance and UI to the exact need. For example, I often ride a bike or walk at night, and can be seen with a headlamp to light my way, and a holster or pocket carrying a more powerful thrower (hands free unless I identify a specific need). I bet you could pimp out that walking stick with a plastic bag dispenser, your X7 holster, a place to store some backup cells, a little hook for hanging full bags, a tripod mount for your BLF Giga-thrower...maybe that's a little much!

Best of luck!