Once more into the breach

Lawman VII XIV

Newly Enlightened
I've given up on Olights. I can quit anytime and that time is now. I like my Fenix TK20R, but am looking for maybe one more light that is obviously not needed.

BOLF:

something Scorpion XL-ish maybe. Small like that. Cool like that.
Metal body.
Tail cap and side button. Simple UI.
Tail cap does high beam only – momentary/constant.
Side button defaults to Low – momentary/constant.
Press and hold in momentary or constant and you shift to High – constant.
Absolutely no proprietary batteries.
Moonligh levelt not necessary.
Strobe not necessary.
12 steps of illumination not necessary.

Does anything tick these or most of these boxes? Has anyone owned a Scorpion XL for a few years? Does the rubber coating wear well? I've had so many 'rubber caoted' products whose coating attempts to return to some primordial ooze. The coatings either began to break up and/or ooze some sticky mess. It doesn't seem to clean off at all.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight have a Scorpion X and a Scorpion HL, neither have side switches, are you referring to one of those?

Have you considered the Streamlight Strion DS HL?

It's a little larger than the Scorpion but the Strion DS HL ticks most of your boxes with the exception of the low setting on the side switch.

Edit - Having checked it looks like the Strion uses a proprietary battery with the + & - at one end, like a mini Stinger battery.

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the rubber coating wear well? I've had so many 'rubber caoted' products whose coating attempts to return to some primordial ooze. The coatings either began to break up and/or ooze some sticky mess. It doesn't seem to clean off at all.
I believe it's quality Kraton or similar rubber material (although not identified with that trade name in the docs), and the covering on my >30 year old Scorps has held up very well. A lot of plastic and rubber from the other side of the world has been 'junk / trash' in my experience, and the rubber-type stuff from there does often tend to degrade / turn into a mess relatively quickly. The material SL uses is clearly quality / long-life stuff .