Only Tarnished Alphas Can Play

Grmnracing

Newly Enlightened
b0jd.jpg
I see you nickel tarnish and raise you copper tarnish

That's a nice patina! Beautiful. Is that a natural patina? Did you do anything to help it along?

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a lot of tarnish but plenty of character marks. This one has seen many days and nights at work with me, probably my most abused light and still works and looks great.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
b0jd.jpg
I see you nickel tarnish and raise you copper tarnish
Gotta know how you got that copper tarnish! It's almost a "matte" tarnish...was it polished copper to start with?

This is how my Beta looks after 3 Weeks of EDC:
3442757fa995909e5bea98c727bfa77a.jpg

7e5632aeb9f89f9e82659cd11b672a85.jpg

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotta know how you got that copper tarnish! It's almost a "matte" tarnish...was it polished copper to start with?

This is how my Beta looks after 3 Weeks of EDC:
3442757fa995909e5bea98c727bfa77a.jpg

7e5632aeb9f89f9e82659cd11b672a85.jpg
the light itself wasnt polished, it was stone washed. i still carry it everyday, been contemplating sending it for a LED upgrade. i wrapped the light in a paper towel that was soaked in a mixture of salt and vinegar, then let it sit out in the sun. my problem is that the oils from my hands prevent the light from keeping a good pantina, been thinking of giving it a good tarnish and putting renesance wax on top to see if it maintains it longer.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
the light itself wasnt polished, it was stone washed. i still carry it everyday, been contemplating sending it for a LED upgrade. i wrapped the light in a paper towel that was soaked in a mixture of salt and vinegar, then let it sit out in the sun. my problem is that the oils from my hands prevent the light from keeping a good pantina, been thinking of giving it a good tarnish and putting renesance wax on top to see if it maintains it longer.
That's a cool idea to try to protect the patina with wax. I loved how my Beta looked at 3 weeks but now it's starting to get some rainbow effects and I'm not as much of a fan:
117042a148ea521a33757d562f2527ea.jpg

BTW I sent my Alpha to Vinh for a 4000k XM-L2 emitter swap and a DriverVN driver swap. Don't have it back yet but it should do ~1,200 otf lumens on high all the way down to <1 lumen on moonlight with a lot of modes in between and I can easily change the set of modes anywhere from 6 modes to single mode, ascending brightness or descending brightness, memory or no memory. Can't wait!

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shorty body sold a while back, not all of them have Patina (or are Alpha's), but this showed best the Patina on the Alpha. I often work in a reductive environment (a copper penny will form Patina VERY quickly) and the Alpha has a nice Patina on it.

Obviously (I hope) ano on Jason's Ti pen.

When I ordered the Alpha I had Jason put my first name on the head - so I wouldn't do something that I would later regret (like sell it...).

NWF_2414-X2.jpg

Last edited:

MrJino

Enlightened
That's a cool idea to try to protect the patina with wax. I loved how my Beta looked at 3 weeks but now it's starting to get some rainbow effects and I'm not as much of a fan:

BTW I sent my Alpha to Vinh for a 4000k XM-L2 emitter swap and a DriverVN driver swap. Don't have it back yet but it should do ~1,200 otf lumens on high all the way down to <1 lumen on moonlight with a lot of modes in between and I can easily change the set of modes anywhere from 6 modes to single mode, ascending brightness or descending brightness, memory or no memory. Can't wait!

Can I ask how your beta coup achieve 1200 lumens???

I would love to modify my beta!

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Renaissance Wax delays patina forming, but eventually, copper and brass Betas will still tarnish.

Can I ask how your beta coup achieve 1200 lumens???
I would love to modify my beta!

Strictly speaking, it is a Vinh light in a Beta shell, so we're going a little off-topic.
Put a XM-L2 U4 on direct drive (DriverVn on max) plus 10440 IMR - Not sure if it'll do 1200 lumens OTF, but 1200 emitter lumens is definitely possible.
4000K will have less luminous flux than cooler options, though.

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't say my Beta would, I said my Alpha would and it's because Vinh modified it to direct drive an XM-L2.

Oops... Yeah, you didn't. :p
But that's a great mod. Love the 4K tint choice and versatility of the UI.
Big thumbs up to Jason for the great design of the Alpha's internals.

Weld Inspector

Enlightened

1200 lumens out of the alfa? That's great