Opinions please. Are Panasonic 18650 NCR18650B decent batteries?

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

I need some new rechargeables. Are the Panasonic NCR18650B any good?

Thanks

ven

Flashaholic
Yes good cells, however now getting a little aged. The GA cells are a good option, 10a 3500mah. Just be aware, depending on the light,some don't like the extra length of protected cells. Just check length of cell in the specs and make sure the length suits the light.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed that they are good cells. But these days, there are better options out there. The aforementioned NCR18650GA has both better capacity and higher draw. Voltage is also better maintained at higher draws with the NCR18650GA. In addition, high current cells like the Sony VTC6 now have similar capacity to the NCR18650B, but with MUCH better voltage/current characteristics. And be aware that, for whatever reason, vendors still want ALOT for this cell - not much less than more modern options. For all of these reasons, I would pass on the NCR18650B unless you can get a deal on them.

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
Agreed that they are good cells. But these days, there are better options out there. The aforementioned NCR18650GA has both better capacity and higher draw. Voltage is also better maintained at higher draws with the NCR18650GA. In addition, high current cells like the Sony VTC6 now have similar capacity to the NCR18650B, but with MUCH better voltage/current characteristics. And be aware that, for whatever reason, vendors still want ALOT for this cell - not much less than more modern options. For all of these reasons, I would pass on the NCR18650B unless you can get a deal on them.

I just paid $10.30, shipping included, for two of them? Is that a fair price?

Are they protected?

Thanks

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are they protected?

Thanks

They don't come with PCB protection circuits from Panasonic. $5.15 shipped is about the going rate for fresh, new cells from a reputable dealer.

Chris

markr6

Flashaholic
The standard for such a long time. I even forget I still have them in some lights that I didn't quite deem "worthy" of the couple extra NCR18650GA I have. But for the lights I have them in, I won't even be able to tell the difference.

ThinAirDesigns

Newly Enlightened
Love them for my purposes (no high drain needs). 5 bucks a pop. Haven't found any others with any noticeably greater capacity by my admittedly unscientific eye. I always buy protected. To each his own needs.

JB

terjee

Enlightened
In addition to the physical characteristics already mentioned, electrical matters too. What light is this for?
Some lights will pull 8A, and you want margins on this, so a 10A battery is cutting it close.

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
In addition to the physical characteristics already mentioned, electrical matters too. What light is this for?
Some lights will pull 8A, and you want margins on this, so a 10A battery is cutting it close.

The batteries are for an OLD Ultrafire Cree C2, one mode. It's still a great light. Never a problem with it and very simple to use.

From what I've read so far, these bateries should be fine with it.

True?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are they protected?

Thanks

That price sounds typical. But here's the thing. You can get an NCR18650GA for $5.99 a cell. That's not even a dollar more for a cell with 100mAH more capacity, a higher current draw, and higher voltage during discharge. Whether this savings is enough to justify buying an older cell is up to you. But I know how I feel. As far as your cells, I don't think they are protected at that price. And if they are flat tops, they most likely are NOT.

Last edited:

fmc1

Enlightened
LG MJ1's and Samsung 35E's are two others with a 3500mAh and 10A discharge rating. Both are in the 5.5 to 6.5 dollar range.

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
LG MJ1's and Samsung 35E's are two others with a 3500mAh and 10A discharge rating. Both are in the 5.5 to 6.5 dollar range.

Yes, although some consider the 35E to be more of an 8A cell. But still, this is better than the NCR18650B. And neither cell costs much more than the NCR18650B, either. As I said, I think it is best to avoid the NCR18650B unless you can get them for something like $4 a cell.

Other good cells to consider are the LG HG2 and Samsung 30Q. These cells cost around $5-6.50 and produce TONS more current than the NCR18650B. This means that voltage is held LOTS better under a load. And capacity is only minimally lower than the NCR18650B. The only real downside is that those folks who don't like using unprotected cells are kind of out of luck, as they are impossible to find protected.

Last edited:

mike_213

Newly Enlightened
Should all ncr18650b have a visible QR code under the wrap? Or are there different types of wrap some more transparent than others?