Optics: Reflectors, Collaminators, and lenses. Pro/cons please

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
As the topic said can someone without giving me a truckload of info on this explain the pro/cons of each briefly?

Which gives the longest tightest throw? I was thinking the IMS20 but got product overload with all the lenses and reflectors and such.

Right now I have Luxeon Ledil L2 5 degree, 15 degree, and 25degree lenses in front of me. I als have a MEC 1W Shark reflector which I took out to test.

Thanks in advance.

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
What optic shouldI be looking for if I want not light spill and want a nice hot throwing spot for cutting fog/darkness for long ranging? This is more for helmet use as I have sketchy people around my neck of the woods and want something to cut down the surprise variables being able to beam them at long range.

I would like to impliment this into Allens (SirAchesaLot) 1" aluminum tubing so my max sizing I think is 21.00mm.

tspoon

Newly Enlightened
I've been using aspheric lenses for throw with some success. The only problem is that a 50mm lens has almost too narrow a beam. I have recently been experiment with 30mm and 17mm variants with slightly better results. These won't fit your housing easily though, and whatever size you use, you'll need to have at least one led for lighting up closer to the bike. Do a search around the other forums for 'aspheric' if interested. I managed to get cheap hosts from DX to make a reasonable looking unit, but I still needed some basic machining to make it all work on a bike.

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
I've been using aspheric lenses for throw with some success. The only problem is that a 50mm lens has almost too narrow a beam. I have recently been experiment with 30mm and 17mm variants with slightly better results. These won't fit your housing easily though, and whatever size you use, you'll need to have at least one led for lighting up closer to the bike. Do a search around the other forums for 'aspheric' if interested. I managed to get cheap hosts from DX to make a reasonable looking unit, but I still needed some basic machining to make it all work on a bike.

Any links on your aspheric lenses? What are aspheric lens? Reflectors? What is the depth of the lens? I'm using the Ledil L2 Luxeon 20mm lenses for my DIY right now and they're 21.71mm with the lens holder and 15.46mm depth.

tspoon

Newly Enlightened
The best place I know to get them is SurplusShed.com (search for 'aspheric') They are round and have two parts to their specification, a diameter and a focal length. The focal length is the distance from the lens the light source has to be held to be 'in focus', i.e. sharply directed in a beam. The lens doesn't sit down over the led like a reflector or optic does. The best lens generally to get is one in which the focal length is 60% or less of the diameter. This means that more light will be captured from the LED and projected forward in a beam. If you search for aspheric on CPF you will see some good examples of peoples housing designs. They are not straight-forward to make a bike light out of, but (IMO) are unsurpassed for 'throw'. (They are much better suited to the output pattern of the cree led than other types)