Opus BT-C3100 2.2-Comparison-New and Exchanged.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on overkill:)

It might seem a bit overkill at first glance, but the reason that I recommended on BLF the eBay $10 12V/66W LITEON PA-1660-2SA1 is that it was the best deal that I could find on a new top-tier power supply capable of handling the large current pulses demanded by the Opus BT-C3100 when charging 4 cells at 1A (see e.g. HKJ's reviews for graphs). At $10 shipped, it is a great bargain for a new top-tier power supply built on the latest technology (e.g. efficiency level VI). It will run very cool powering the Opus, so it will have a very long life. Further, it will likely prolong the life of the Opus compared to using the supplied overloaded lower-quality SMPS.

As you can see from the 2nd eBay link, the LITEONs have been selling quickly, but the eBay seller still has a handful left, so get 'em while they last. Follow the first BLF link for a long thread with much further discussion on this topic.

Note: LITEON is a top-tier power supply manufacturer employed by many top-tier PC manufacturers, e.g. if you search on "LITEON oem" on eBay you will see power supplies they made for Acer, Apple, Cisco, Dell, Gateway, HP, IBM, Kodak, Lenovo, Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, etc, which should help convince you of their reputation. LITEON (and Delta) are the OEMs for the Apple magsafe power supplies. A top-quality 12V/66W SMPS has many applications for anyone who tinkers with electronics, so it is a good investment.

PS To clarify HKJ's remark that "Opus did reduce the peak enough to work with the power supply they used at that time", it is helpful to add some context from the BLF thread. As I mentioned there, Opus appears to have switched their 12V/3A power supplies from an Asian Power Devices APD WA-36A12U to a KYT120300BV by Shenzen KeyingTong Electronic Tech. Based on reports on BLF, it appears that only the latest KYT supply is hiccuping (rebooting) when the Opus is at full load (though this is probably also greatly stressing the APD too). So if you plan to use the Opus at full load then I highly recommed to upgrade the power supply. This is essential if you have an early Opus version (where the peaks were even larger - up to 12A. - which greatly distorted the calculation of mAh charged).

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
^^^^

+1 :D

Dr. GAUSS and HKJ supplied ALL the information and recommendations for the Opus to get back to a normal,long and happy life void of exertion,exhaustion, possible over heating and
:poof:. :cool:

Capolini

Banned
UPDATE:

My last post is ironic! On May 18th I had a fatal mishap with Opus #2 who I named "King Opus" because of its ability to be more accurate than my original Opus.A fine gentleman named speaker_joe[Ebay dealer] donated Three[3] top tier Delta fans to me. The plugs were different so I attempted my FIRST ever splice. All was well for several hours and then King Opus got fried.

The next day I got #3 Opus who I named "Prince Opus".
The Top Tier Lite-On SMPS was doing its job as expected. No more RESET shortly after discharge cycle was complete.

The Prince
acquired this name after My other Two Delta fans were professionally spliced by DB custom[Dale] who is a member here and on BLF. The problem w/ the Prince was there were way too many STOPPAGES during the discharge cycle.The STOPPAGES are listed in the manual. However, through my testing it showed that my DELTA top tier fan ELIMINATED this, maybe in combination with other factors[?],,,,internal variances from charger to charger.As a result of that my capacity readings were more accurate and closer to specs. KING OPUS NEVER had a stoppage during the discharge phase.

So many people helped me along the way. HKJ.speaker_joe, Dale, "rdana" who sells the 3400 V3.1 Opus and several other members whose input helped me and in turn prompted me to contact HENRY XU of Opus who I have exchanged about 2 dozen emails with. Henry appreciated my efforts and when the NEW OPUS comes out in several months he is giving me One of those to me.

The next post will have photos with explanations.

Capolini

Banned
Stock fan: 5V/0.13A/0.65W It has a resistor on it to regulate the current

opus_fan_specs.jpg

Top Tier DELTA fan: 12V/0.12A/1.44W

comparison2.jpg

Plug size difference-Opus stock[ADDA] on Left and DELTA on right.

comparison1.jpg

Comparison in DEPTH. L X W is the same[25mm] Opus in forefront. ADDA=25mm X 25mm X 09mm------DELTA =25mm X 25mm X 10.5mm

comparison.jpg

1AMH-The transistor behind the fan that helped HKJ determine that the Delta did not have too much Wattage. Delta 1.44W, 1AMH has ability to take slighly over 2W.

1_AMh.331.jpg

Dales excellent splice job.

Delta_solo.jpg

Best view to show installed DELTA fan. It is obviously not made for this. It does not have grooves that original fan has and is 1.5mm thicker[depth]. Looks great to me and works like a charm. The difference is like a hair dryer on Low[ADDA] and one on medium[DELTA]! It is really not much louder.

DELTA_SIDE_VIEW.OPUS.jpg

DELTA specs.
Specification

• Nominal voltage : 12 V
  • Current : 0.12 A
  • Operating voltage range : 4 - 12 V
  • Fan speed : 13,000 RPM
  • Performance : 2.4 CFM
  • Noise : 28 dBa
  • Size : 25 x 25 x 10 mm without heatsink

Capolini

Banned
Here is a photo of the entire ADDA fan on Left w/ the resistor.

The fan on the right is supposedly the replacement fan that a few BLF members found in their charger,,,the same exact pieces of Junk I bought from Gear best! That label for that will be in the second photo.

opus_fan_blades.jpg

This 9 blade[more resistance] fan was so quiet and its ability to move air[CFM] was FEEBLE!

GBEST_FAN_SPECS.jpg

Capolini

Banned
Nice work capo...

Thanks OG,,,,Holy S... you past me in posts! :p My prediction was by my Birthday[June 4th] and your 1 year CPF Anniversary!!!

It would have taken me about 2 more hours to post the rest of my thread on here. Took me 1.5 hours just for posts # 264/265! The type "A" personality edit everything to perfection syndrome.:naughty: