Orb Wee Competitors?

tzzoooma

Newly Enlightened
This is just what I need. Small and bright.
But I want cheaper. What competes?

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing. You want the smallest, brightest light around? You're going to have to pay for it. Sorry. There's also the draco and drake, but I think they're both more $$$.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 there is limited competition here, and if someone could come in cheaper it would, without doubt, be on the backof Rob's skill but likely lack the quality and attention to design.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in the same boat. I concluded that the Wee is the real deal, the way to go. I got mine today and I mostly think I was right. What am I missing? Well, I do wish I could have some levels. Because I am a luxwhore/lumenophile, I had to go with the 100 lumens which, by the way, is GORGEOUS and BRILLIANT. But, the light gets pretty hot after even just a minute, I know the runtime is pretty terrible, and it's so bright that I wish I could just select down to something lower...

Which makes me long for a Drake or Draco... but it's just too much $$$ right now... So now I'm beginning to drool for the new Fenix LD01! :sssh:

There is an excellent thread here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/209089

We discuss many of the options and I put some beamshots (admittedly kinda crappy) at the end.

Another awesome thread is here (though slightly off-topic, the Wee is discussed):
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2657612#post2657612

And finally, some nice similar threads here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2651647&postcount=6

tzzoooma

Newly Enlightened
Why haven't the Chinaese copied them? They seem to have everything else and I'm sure they could crank out similar $30 or less ones?

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in the same boat. I concluded that the Wee is the real deal, the way to go. I got mine today and I mostly think I was right. What am I missing? Well, I do wish I could have some levels. Because I am a luxwhore/lumenophile, I had to go with the 100 lumens which, by the way, is GORGEOUS and BRILLIANT. But, the light gets pretty hot after even just a minute, I know the runtime is pretty terrible, and it's so bright that I wish I could just select down to something lower...

Congrats on owning a WEE! :wave:Have you considered getting another 50 0r 25 lumen LED pill? Wee also can now have the NEUTRAL white LED (IMHO the the best for true color rendition) I am considering getting one of those.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mostly because of the insane battery they use; 14250 and 10110 (IIRC) li-ion. Not very common! DX, etc. can make for more profit (IMO) selling cheap 18650 and AA lights rather than trying to copy what's basically a work of art.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mostly because of the insane battery they use; 14250 and 10110 (IIRC) li-ion. Not very common! DX, etc. can make for more profit (IMO) selling cheap 18650 and AA lights rather than trying to copy what's basically a work of art.
+1

Exactly!

You can't copy a work of art, not for cheap...

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on owning a WEE! :wave:Have you considered getting another 50 0r 25 lumen LED pill? Wee also can now have the NEUTRAL white LED (IMHO the the best for true color rendition) I am considering getting one of those.

Thanks tsask!

I am loving it!

IMG_4433.jpg

It's my new little buddy!
IMG_4437.jpg

More pics and beamshots here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2679963#post2679963

I am totally going to order a 50 or 25 lumen model. Which do you recommend? Also, I did get the warm and I am in love with it. It is insanely warm, like an incan. I am incredibly impressed. What a great light!

:twothumbs

MKLight

Enlightened
Hey! I love my Wee NS and Raw NS. If you check out the Peak LED Forum, look for the Matterhorn. It is available with he same size battery (10180) configuration as the Wee. I don't have one with this battery configuration, but the AAA version is nice (much larger than the Wee, though). I think the price ranges from $30-$40...don't quote me on the exact prices though - call and talk with Robyn or Curt. Also the lumens won't be as bright as the 100 or even 50 lumen Wee's, but may be comparable to the 20 lumen Wee.

Also, as its been stated...the Wee is truly a work of precision and art. The Peaks are nice, too, but just in a different league...although I like that league, too!

Good luck...and whichever you get (or both)....please post pics!:)

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:

jag-engr

Enlightened
Peak LEDs has a light on the drawing board that could give the Orb lights a run for their money... A Baltic Sea that uses two LR44 batteries!

They have a plan for a 1.5" pocket body and 1.65" tail-standing keychain body (like the LD01). I talked to Robyn a couple days ago and she said it's still just on the drawing board.

Here's a link to a PDF catalog. The lights are at the bottom left on the second page.

I don't know what they will cost if they ever come to market, but I'm sure it will be less than the Orbs. Unfortunately, their basic lights are only single-phase.

TECENG

Newly Enlightened
I broke down after a looong justification process and bought a wee quite a few months ago. I carry it every day and NEVER regret buying it. It is very special, and as it has been mentioned, a real work of art. Save up for it, that's what I did and although the wait will kill you, it's also a lot to look forward to.

sappyg

Enlightened
dang it!!!!! the prices are in pounds. sent an e-mail. i want one NOW.....
not to hijack this thread but, need suggestions... i know i would like to have 2 stages but if not should i get the 25/ 50/ or 100 lumin pill? 25 sounds good and more is not always better.
there could be anxious days ahead.
DANGIT!!!

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 100 will heat up too quickly to be used for anything more than a "wow your friends" or a burst light. The 25 lumen is more than adequate for seeing behind computers, finding dropped keys at night, etc, and doesn't give out so much heat as to make it unholdable after 10 minutes runtime. If you want more, go for a raw; the multi-stage is dead handy as you get screaming high and a useful, cool running low, depending on what you need.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak LEDs has a light on the drawing board that could give the Orb lights a run for their money... A Baltic Sea that uses two LR44 batteries!

They have a plan for a 1.5" pocket body and 1.65" tail-standing keychain body (like the LD01). I talked to Robyn a couple days ago and she said it's still just on the drawing board.

Here's a link to a PDF catalog. The lights are at the bottom left on the second page.

I don't know what they will cost if they ever come to market, but I'm sure it will be less than the Orbs. Unfortunately, their basic lights are only single-phase.

I'll believe it when I see it. Peak has a history of not innovating. It's too bad; they make top notch products.