OSRAM NB D3S +220% Comment/Question

EJR

Newly Enlightened
They are Osrams HIDs. They were suppose to be a bit bluer/brighter than my original HID bulbs so I thought it be a cool replacement.. And no I did not authenticate them. That was one of my concerns when I bought them(fakes). However the bulbs arrived in the little paper boxes. "Real" Osrams have plastic casing packaging and authenticating.

All that said, these fake bulbs are quite impressive for being faked lol. But dark spots seem to develop on the bulbs after some usage. At first I thought it was my front covers but its definitely the bulb.

Ahh, I see, so you got fake bulbs which sounds about right given your observations of the beam and poor performance.

When you said...
I tried a set of brighter Osram HID bulbs over my stock HID bulbs and I wouln't recommend it.

...I thought you were referring to genuine Osram bulbs and I was like, huh? why? Had you actually purchased legitimate Osram performance bulbs from HERE, you might be singing a different tune.😃

theory816

Newly Enlightened
Ahh, I see, so you got fake bulbs which sounds about right given your observations of the beam and poor performance.

When you said...

...I thought you were referring to genuine Osram bulbs and I was like, huh? why? Had you actually purchased legitimate Osram performance bulbs from HERE, you might be singing a different tune.😃

How do you know that website sells real bulbs?

theory816

Newly Enlightened
I've personally purchased from them and spoke to the owner on the phone about the legitimacy of their bulbs. See HERE.
what did he say? The article seems legit enough. I suppose a pair of HID bulbs isn't too expensive to test them out. The last set came from theretrofitsource.

EJR

Newly Enlightened
what did he say?

In short: he said they only sell genuine Osram (and Philips) bulbs and have been for a number of years now. And then briefly explained the channels they use with Osram for their QR code and non-QR code bulbs.

theory816

Newly Enlightened
In short: he said they only sell genuine Osram (and Philips) bulbs and have been for a number of years now. And then briefly explained the channels they use with Osram for their QR code and non-QR code bulbs.
That doesn't instill alot of confidence that they're genuine.

Side note, I worked on my lights again today. Turns out, my headlight aim was WAYYYYYYYYY off. I was losing at least 30ft of road illumination because it was pointed all the way down. I think this caused the dark spots I was seeing on the wall. Its alot better now with proper aim. I'm still a couple of feet to proper aim mark. Another thing is that there seems to be a slight color difference between the two "fake" bulbs. My OEM bulbs were alot less blue too.

Last edited:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note: the Xenon Gas inside is ONLY for instant on performance (needed for headlights) which start out dimmer than in the "warmed up" plasma state. It's the blend of Metal Halide salts (yellowish pale deposit inside the arc chamber) that form the plasma and that when electrically excited produce the quantity and quality of light including the color temperature etc.

EJR

Newly Enlightened
Note: the Xenon Gas inside is ONLY for instant on performance (needed for headlights) which start out dimmer than in the "warmed up" plasma state. It's the blend of Metal Halide salts (yellowish pale deposit inside the arc chamber) that form the plasma and that when electrically excited produce the quantity and quality of light including the color temperature etc.

Is it not the blend of the rest of the noble gases inside the tube that creates the color temperature? After ignition the metal salts vaporize.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
To my knowledge the only gas inside automotive HID lamps is Xenon, just like pure Xenon short arc lamps (not automotive) but which have no Metal Halide salts at all, only Xenon. Also a minute amount of mercury mixed in with the MH salts of D1S and D2S, none in D3S etc.

Last edited:

EJR

Newly Enlightened
To my knowledge the only gas inside automotive HID lamps is Xenon, just like pure Xenon short arc lamps (not automotive) which have no Metal Halide salts at all.
valeo xenon.png

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
After some additional research (learn something new every day) the gas fill is predominantly Xenon with a small amount of argon for D1S/R and D2S/R, can't speak for the mercury free versions such as D3S and D4S.
Other gas combinations are used in other HID MH bulb technologies, (stadium and warehouse lighting) where Hot Re-strike and instant on functionality are not required. Xenon offers the best performance for these 2 automotive requirements.