OSTS TN31mb Monster Thrower

rdrfronty

Enlightened
Re: OSTS TN31mb Monster

Well just had to do it. Invoice #0000001220. Been following his lights for a good while now and have struggled to not to get one. It has been hard. But this time I couldn't resist. This light will likely embarress my SR90. I'm going to have to put a SBT90 in it, just so it can even try to compare to the OSTS TN31. And even then it will fail badly.
Cant hardly wait to get this little beast.
And I know its not that important for a thrower, and its been asked already, but how much otf you think this light will do? I'm thinking in 500otf range. But Michael did say numbers will be SLIGHTLY under factory specs. So maybe even more???
I know its a moot point for a nice thrower like this, just more of a curiosity thing of how hard a XPG2 can be driven safely.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Well just had to do it. Invoice #0000001220. Been following his lights for a good while now and have struggled to not to get one. It has been hard. But this time I couldn't resist. This light will likely embarress my SR90. I'm going to have to put a SBT90 in it, just so it can even try to compare to the OSTS TN31. And even then it will fail badly.
Cant hardly wait to get this little beast.
And I know its not that important for a thrower, and its been asked already, but how much otf you think this light will do? I'm thinking in 500otf range. But Michael did say numbers will be SLIGHTLY under factory specs. So maybe even more???
I know its a moot point for a nice thrower like this, just more of a curiosity thing of how hard a XPG2 can be driven safely.

If you dedome the SR90's LED it works really well, getting almost to about OSTS's first modified TN31 in performance (My SR90 dedomed was at ~ 203k cd)...and its a free mod. :D

JohnGalway

Newly Enlightened
I'd love one of these, I really would, but wallet says I must keep my powder dry in anticipation of a scope mounted light that evokes much the same reaction as the TN31mb :twothumbs

More power to yer elbow Saab :thumbsup:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

anybody care to take a stab at the otf lumens of this lazer ?

Hi Hahoo.

As is usual with these types of modifications the lumens will possibly be lower compared to a stock TN31 even with the XPG2 in place.

It is the throw that is increased by the de-doming of the LED, the tweaking of the optics of the available light and the increased heatsinking of the LED to let it operate at a higher than normal power level.

As with most de-domed LEDs the throw (kcd) increases dramatically but at the expense of some of spill.

The Olight SR95UT was a good example of lumens going down but kcd going up.

The XPG2 is smaller in size than the XML LED and that straight away gives it a head start in throw by projecting a tighter beam than is possible with the XML LED.

To get the most out of the XPG2 Michael has improved the heat sinking by bonding the LED to a copper heatsink.

I can't wait to get my TN31mb as the lumen output is not an issue in this case where throw is the object of this modification.

A Laser does not have to be of high lumen or high wattage rating to get that concentrated beam as is similar with Saab's TN31 modification.

I already have the first version of the Saab modded TN31 and it is unbeatable (so I thought) than any other single LED based flashlight of it's size that has been modded.

Trust Michael to break his own records as usual.

I will still be keeping my older Saab modded TN31 after I receive my TN31mb.

Just buy one!

CHEERS

hahoo

Enlightened

thanks oz....
so this latest mod is a de-domed led ?
so i guess the new sr95ut is still pretty good at 260k, and still putting out close to 1500 lumens then...
ill have to wait on some of you guys beamshots before i pull the trigger...

noticed you have a stanley hid ..
ive got one too and am amazed at how my stock tn31 will throw as good as the stanley..
how does the modded tn31 u have compare to your stanley ??

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks oz....
so i guess the new sr95ut is still pretty good at 260k, and still putting out close to 1500 lumens then...

ive got one too and am amazed at how my stock tn31 will throw as good as the stanley..

Hi hahoo.

Both my stock TN31 and the Saab modded TN31 throw further whith a clean and clearer beam than the Stanley HID.

The HID has a rather jagged spill that seems to reflect back into my eyes and does not give the user a fair chance of seeing something distant.

The beam on the Stanley HID is very wishy washy and has a mix of heavy bluish/greenish tint

The Saab modded TN31 is currently my best thrower out of all of my lights.

The best beam from a single LED at the moment is the Saab modded TN31 but I am waiting for my new TN31mb to arrive.

CHEERS

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks oz....

Both my stock TN31 and my Saab modded TN31 throw a much cleaner beam without all of the strange spill that the Stanley HID Puts out.

The colour of the beam is a more Neutral one that lets my eyes see the target area a whole lot better.

Saabs modded TN31s are just KILLER lights!

CHEERS

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

I placed an order for this yesterday. I am quite excited about it. Now it is time to get my HID lights listed for sale. They still have a lot more lumen output than this light but I bought the HID's for the throw and not output. This light will now exceed my L35 and be almost half of my Mega Illuminator's candlepower!

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened

anybody care to take a stab at the otf lumens of this lazer ?
I'm guessing 700-850

Saab what is the variance on these? The old one was like 240K-275 right? Are all these garented atleast 405k or is that the average? Either way I'm getting one lol.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm guessing 700-850

Saab what is the variance on these? The old one was like 240K-275 right? Are all these garented atleast 405k or is that the average? Either way I'm getting one lol.

I'd say your estimates on output are probably close. Closer to 700 most likely. When I quote a figure it is the "typical" performance or in other words the number achieved if averaging the numbers across a number of lights. This system makes sense as it is the number you are most likely to see. It neither overstates or understates the performance to a reasonable degree. It is how ANSI guidelines are set up as well. ANSI spec has you test 3 lights and then take the average of those three lights. That is then what will be printed on the box. Although I agree with their basic outline of testing for an average I disagree with the 3 light rule. In my experience three lights is not near enough to get a good idea of average performance. It is simply not a statistically significant number. I personally think 10 lights is the minimum threshold. That said I have not tested the TN31mb by this standard. I have tested 4 lights so far. The data so far seems awfully tightly grouped. I think the average figure I got was 408Kcd. Off the top of my head I think the spread was from about 402-412. Like I said really really tight. I do not expect this to continue. My guess is that there will be some lights below the magic 400 mark when this is all said and done. Then again the numbers may only go up from here as these lights tested had extremely bad AR coating that was actually blocking some of the blue light. I will not know until I build more units.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast

I looked through the entire thread before posting this - apologies if it was answered and I didnt see it.

What is the max current on high?

vinz on taschenlampen measured 450k lux @ 4amps in his modded tn31... so going by that I would guess the current is somewhere around 3.6a which is probably safer for the longevity of the led

its really cool to see the xpg2 overdriven so hard in a few different applications (lambda, saab, etc) with such good results... just curious what your results were and what current you ultimately decided to go with after testing.

Last edited:

hahoo

Enlightened

I looked through the entire thread before posting this - apologies if it was answered and I didnt see it.

What is the max current on high?

vinz on taschenlampen measured 450k lux @ 4amps in his modded tn31... so going by that I would guess the current is somewhere around 3.6a which is probably safer for the longevity of the led

its really cool to see the xpg2 overdriven so hard in a few different applications (lambda, saab, etc) with such good results... just curious what your results were and what current you ultimately decided to go with after testing.

your asking a magician to give up his secrets ?

TEEJ

Flashaholic

It can be measured when it arrives.

:D

langham

Enlightened

I don't know about that, you may want to just measure the battery current and not led current, as you do not want to get dust in that beautiful light. Besides, does it really matter that bad boy can put light out so far that even if you were 1000m in front of the light you may actually not be able to see the illuminated target.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened

I'd say your estimates on output are probably close. Closer to 700 most likely. When I quote a figure it is the "typical" performance or in other words the number achieved if averaging the numbers across a number of lights. This system makes sense as it is the number you are most likely to see. It neither overstates or understates the performance to a reasonable degree. It is how ANSI guidelines are set up as well. ANSI spec has you test 3 lights and then take the average of those three lights. That is then what will be printed on the box. Although I agree with their basic outline of testing for an average I disagree with the 3 light rule. In my experience three lights is not near enough to get a good idea of average performance. It is simply not a statistically significant number. I personally think 10 lights is the minimum threshold. That said I have not tested the TN31mb by this standard. I have tested 4 lights so far. The data so far seems awfully tightly grouped. I think the average figure I got was 408Kcd. Off the top of my head I think the spread was from about 402-412. Like I said really really tight. I do not expect this to continue. My guess is that there will be some lights below the magic 400 mark when this is all said and done. Then again the numbers may only go up from here as these lights tested had extremely bad AR coating that was actually blocking some of the blue light. I will not know until I build more units.
Thx for the info!

My only worry about buying one is that you will make a 1200lm 500k lux XM-L2 light lol

I like how every one was asking if the first one was an XP-G2 and now your like nope THIS! is an XP-G2 lol

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic

I don't know about that, you may want to just measure the battery current and not led current, as you do not want to get dust in that beautiful light. Besides, does it really matter that bad boy can put light out so far that even if you were 1000m in front of the light you may actually not be able to see the illuminated target.

That's always been a contention, that we don't need lights with that much throw, because we can't see that far anyway. :D

In practice, it depends upon what the light is being used for. In SAR work for example, as 0.25 lux is not really enough for a fovea to work with far away....we might USE a light that's rated for "X meters of throw" to be able to SEE enough details at X/2 or X/4 meters.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast

In my case, 99, if not 100% of my illumination needs is served by my single AA led light. Why would I want something with a Kcd rating good enough for a kilometer? I might not even see that far already, but the pleasure of owning something done by Saab is different.