OSTS TN31mb Monster Thrower

Devildude

Enlightened
I will say this again the TN31mb is the best light I have so far. More than worth the cost of the light, you will not be disappointed by this light.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Way back in October I took beam shots of the XML version of the OSTS TN31. Higher lumen/Lower Lux. Here those are if you did not see them before.

Remember this is the XML version and 252K lux.

Dist2.jpg

_________Control_____________________________________________Control Zoomed
Control.JPG
Control%2520Zoomed.JPG

OSTS%2520TN%252031%25202.JPG
OSTS%2520TN31%2520Zoomed%25202.JPG

_____________OSTS TN31______________________________________OSTS TN31 Zoomed______________

Last edited:

CouldUseALight

Newly Enlightened
I can top you, I bought both TN31 versions, the Deft-X and 4 STL-V6's. When I get my Deft-X I plan on taking a Friday or Saturday night to take some beamshots.

Nice!! This will be like Flashlights From The Future! You should sell tickets....I'd buy one for sure! :popcorn:

rdrfronty

Enlightened
Got my shipping notice today! Yeah!
Hopefully mine makes it by this weekend. My weather here in Texas is suppose to be nice, so I intend to get out all my throwers and do some beamshots. Likely it will be the TN31mb, TN31 (stock), SR90 (dedomed), BTU Shocker, & TK75.
At least that's the plan.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a shipping notice, too! I hope I get it this week still but if not it will be early next week. I am quite excited about this light and have sold all my HID's because of it.

lintonindy

Newly Enlightened
[h=2]
icon1.png
Re: OSTS TN31mb Monster Thrower[/h]
Got my shipping notice today! Yeah!
Hopefully mine makes it by this weekend. My weather here in Texas is suppose to be nice, so I intend to get out all my throwers and do some beamshots. Likely it will be the TN31mb, TN31 (stock), SR90 (dedomed), BTU Shocker, & TK75.
At least that's the plan.

[h=2]
icon1.png
Re: OSTS TN31mb Monster Thrower[/h]
I got a shipping notice, too! I hope I get it this week still but if not it will be early next week. I am quite excited about this light and have sold all my HID's because of it.

What invoice number were you guys? Just trying to get a general idea about where in line he has gotten done to. I'm not trying to rush him as I know it takes a lot of work for these units, and he has a lot of them to do, but it would be nice to just give an update every other day as to what is going out, being worked on, being waited for and so on. Like I said, I'm just really excited and this was an extremely large amount of money for me to spend on a flashlight. Any beam shots would be awesome and judging by the numbers and people's previous reactions I'm in for a treat!​

lintonindy

Newly Enlightened
I believe all TN31mb orders up to #1251 are already shipped or about to be shipped. As in they are already in a box awaiting postage. ;)

Your moving right along then! I'm 1256 so I'm soooo close yet so far away. Ordered some 3400 mah XTAR 18650s that fit in my K40 so I should be good to go. Just gotta cycle those a couple of times. Do you have what you need to catch up all the way? I know you said you were going to shift to the DEFT-X this weekend. I've been looking at that thread as well and trying to justify that one to. I'll have to wait and see how impressed I am from the TN31MB. Thank you so much for what you do for the flashlight community and taking the time to update us all.

jd1911

Newly Enlightened
I decided I "need" a thrower and I like the TN31mb. Is the current wait time still 3-4 weeks?
Thanks
JD

Edit: Invoice #1264

Last edited:

arjay

Newly Enlightened
I just saw this and now I want one! What's the waiting time now?

I tried to calculate shipping but it says it's not available for shipping to the Philippines. What gives?! :(

rdrfronty

Enlightened
Just got my TN31mb in today. A nice 409k with certificate. Now the interesting thing for me is its lumen output. I know Michael doesn't push the lumens numbers much and I understand. Throwers are designed to throw and throwers don't need too many lumens do that effectively. But I, like some others, still want a fair amount of spill and light output. Especially with a light with variable power settings. Anyway, I just tested my TN31mb along with my slightly weak TN31 and my brothers pretty healthy TN31. All in my very well tested PVC lightbox.
My (weak) TN31 - 1015otf at 30sec.
Brothers (strong) TN31 - 1118otf at 30sec.
My OSTS TN31mb - 741otf at 30sec.
Very impressive output to say the least. Awesome job Michael!
We'll be taking all the lights out tonite to do some throw testing and beamshots hopefully. My TN31 tested 122k previously, brothers has tested in the 126-130k in various tests. Bringing along my SR90 (dedomed) that tested at 195k, my BTU that tested at 125k, and brothers Tk75 that tested 94k. Might bring the SRK too to compare its flood vs the thrower/flooders and the throwers.

wiccaman

Newly Enlightened
Yaaaa Finally got my big TN31MB today. All I can say is WOWWW I literally shined this at my wall about 20 feet away in a well lit room (during the day) the wall is medium blue in color. and it hurt to look at the spot. Never thought id say this but… Cant wait til night time. bout 4 more hours Thanks Michael! Also…got my cert. with it 442kcd !!!!! anyone have a higher than 442k on here or am I SPECIAL??:D THANK YOU SAABLUSTER!!!

Last edited:

langham

Enlightened
There isn't a perceivable difference between 442 and 400 so even though yours did test pretty high, it will probably not look any brighter than any other one. Good to see that people are getting their lights and are satisfied with them. I was wondering when someone would get some actual numbers for lm output of these and at 741OTF that is very good considering Cree puts the absolute max for any XP-G2 at right around 158lm at a Tj of 25C so you are looking at 475% more light than that and they only take it up to 325% at 1.5A. These must be driven extremely hard to get that kind of performance, in addition to the fact that he decided to mount them on pure copper heat-sinks. Pretty impressive Saabluster, then again he also pushed the R2 emitters to 1.5A and no one thought that was possible. Looks like he has done it again, I am assuming with these numbers that he left the dome intact on these, if not he would have to be driving them at almost the same level as the stock light to get these kinds of numbers. I don't think anyone will be disappointment with 700OTF lumens on a pure thrower.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
There isn't a perceivable difference between 442 and 400 so even though yours did test pretty high, it will probably not look any brighter than any other one. Good to see that people are getting their lights and are satisfied with them. I was wondering when someone would get some actual numbers for lm output of these and at 741OTF that is very good considering Cree puts the absolute max for any XP-G2 at right around 158lm at a Tj of 25C so you are looking at 475% more light than that and they only take it up to 325% at 1.5A. These must be driven extremely hard to get that kind of performance, in addition to the fact that he decided to mount them on pure copper heat-sinks. Pretty impressive Saabluster, then again he also pushed the R2 emitters to 1.5A and no one thought that was possible. Looks like he has done it again, I am assuming with these numbers that he left the dome intact on these, if not he would have to be driving them at almost the same level as the stock light to get these kinds of numbers. I don't think anyone will be disappointment with 700OTF lumens on a pure thrower.

You also need to consider that the emitters are de-domed. This causes a drop in lumens (maybe 20% for Cree LEDs). If the number really is accurate, then I am impressed.

rdrfronty

Enlightened
My meter and lightbox are not perfect of course. But I've tested at least 50 different lights in it, and I'd say 30+ of those are ANSI rated. So I have pretty good baseline numbers to calculate from. And Michael actual confirmed an earlier post on this thread when questioned if the light is in the 700-900 lumen range, and he stated that it should be on the lower end of that range. So between my testing and his rough estimate, I'm pretty confident saying these lights are in the low to mid 700's.
But again, the lumen numbers are not that important. These beasts are designed for throw. I'm just happy it's not like 2-300 otf like typical for older XPG's.

Custom

Newly Enlightened
with recents posts like "this light has me JACKED.. im like a kid on Christmas.. has me losing sleep at night" you can't relate to my anticipation? you're seriously getting butt hurt at me for being excited to see what these lights are all about and trying to get owners to snap a shot or 2?

we all have families Officer. food for thought:
1) ive been registered here twice as long as you and have 1/5th the posts you do... (busy with family I guess)
2) per request, I have Zero issues with taking quick pics of every light ive been able to afford. more than happy to contribute in any way, for fellow torch lovers.

whats my point you ask? in the time you spent telling about your purchases and how you've got better things to do and bashing my request.. you could have easily contributed for us less fortunate enthusiasts. I mean look at how long it took me to reply lol. whaatever man. thanks to the helpful members! mmm beamshots

Soooo.......because I purchased a flashlight I am supposed to take time away from my family and other things that are a priority to take pictures of a beam of light for you? I think you are confusing a HOBBY and a DUTY. People do it because they enjoy it. So.....yes.....beamshots are for other people.....I don't spend my time doing things just for the sake of others when my time is better spent elsewhere.

Brag about it? hahaha.....wow. I am talking about a flashlight I purchased on a site dedicated flashlights.......?

Obviously some people have the money to buy the lights they want..........whats your point? I worked for the money I spent and decided to buy all 3 actually......and again....I must be missing why this would be your concern. Is this an attempt to create guilt?

langham

Enlightened
Alright guys this has gone on long enough, this is friendly place with a friendly atmosphere. You 2 should pm each other and work this out, this is not the place for a personal dispute. I personally don't really like the beam-shots for these anyway because in order to do the light justice you would have to set up the light way back behind the camera and take the beam shot in order to be able to see the proper amount of light on the target. I do sort of agree with people who can afford to buy all of the new nice lights taking beam shots, but on the other hand I have never had a problem finding a very expensive light's beam shot it is the cheap lights that are hard to find info on especially the DX ones. Bottom line you both love flashlights, families, and sick beam shots of Saablusters artwork, so find some common ground and talk it out.