Other car care tips for a new owner?

FASTCAR

Banned
Nope I dont sell it.
Actually on that Old test, (fuelon) They did not follow the instructions for using it.

I have a dynojet here at my shop and have tested it 100's of times on various race cars.."normal" cars and trucks.I have seen black smoke just go away and cars that ran like sh*t..run fine in a day or less.

Im told they have well over 100 000 letters from dealerships, SAE mechanics, HUGE transportation comps, countries,people and racers that it works as claimed.

I myself failed inspection a few years ago on a street/strip car 94 Eclipse turbo ..roughly 400 Hp at that time.

( from memory) I was able to have like 220 PPM hydrocarbons...said car was 2000ish...had brand new plugs..wires and was running fine..( car had no cat and all emissions taken off even egr and hot water bypassed to TB) car also ran cold from 150 therm for power reasons.

I saw the stuff had 100% money back..so I tried it.
Put 1 oz in tank and ran it back home. next day went back to inspection and passed easily with 97 or so...other tests they do here in NJ ( we have dyno tests ) were all so low ...the operator guy thought I faked it some how.

Thats how I started using it.

B4 u slam a product, at least try it OR ask some 1 that has.100% no hassle cash back..what can you lose?

If u were local to here I would give ya some

I for one will use it for life.I would bet If u contact the owner George he would gladly send you 1000's of pages of testimonials from governments and businesses..no less average joes.

Im told japan and several asian countries just made a deal worth billions.It seems it will be put in all gas tanks at the pump to reduce pollution issues.
But ask them

All I can say honestly is it works and it works well and as claimed.Tested on my dyno..the track and seat of the pants.

FASTCAR

Banned
Fuelon Diesel:

I forgot to mention

I have a few tow trucks, 1 is for my trailer for race cars.
I write the MPG every single tip. With fuelon I pick up +4 MPG every time.
For those that own a diesel you know about the heavy black smoke under a load ( turbos mostly)..that is all but gone with it.I can attest 100% that going up hills crossing the country is much easier with it in the tank.Have not dyno'd the large trucks but for sure i can feel it "seat of the pants"

In fact I may donate some to CPF via a raffle or somthing. I will speak to a mod when I get back about this.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been told that you shouldn't wax a new car until the paint has cured...Not sure about that.

The Armor-All thing is a myth, it doesn't cause drying or cracks. In the late 70's manufacturers started switching the formulation of the polymers/plastics used in autos. These materials were unable to cope effectively with the UV from sunlight, and cracked eventually.

Fuelon? If it was that gfood, all the auto manufacturers would endorse it. Anyways, these additives can be detrimental to your car's emission system, especially the O2 sensor.

-dan

FASTCAR

Banned
If they contain : heavy metals, acids,organometalics YES..Fuelon has none of these.

Used it for years with Not 1 O2 issue.And I use on both heated and Non heated O2's

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend getting some seat covers for the front. Also, get some carpet samples or scraps for the floor. Years later they won't look as dirty or weathered.

Also, don't scratch your door with your keychain if you use keyed entry.(too many keys).

Don't eat or drink in your car.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the not eating/drinking in your car.

FASTCAR-

If you'd like to discuss the benefits of Fuelon, please PM me or start another thread.

:buddies:

turbodog

Flashaholic
I save plenty of time by:

never washing my truck

leaving the keys in it always, and unlocked

I never have to wonder where I left my keys!

:p

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good advice, no food, drinks or smoke in my car. I got some off road floor matts that are supposed to hold a gallon of water in them and I hold my key ring in my hand with my key between my finger and thumb.

Not sure if I can do seat covers if I have supplemental air bags that blow out the side of the seat too when or if I get in an accident.

greenlight said:
I recommend getting some seat covers for the front. Also, get some carpet samples or scraps for the floor. Years later they won't look as dirty or weathered.

Also, don't scratch your door with your keychain if you use keyed entry.(too many keys).

Don't eat or drink in your car.

goldenlight

Enlightened
cobb said:
Unlike the past few cars Ive own, Ive really done little to nothing to the outside or interior. Most of the stuff I have done is either PM or fine tuning. Then other stuff like brake, clutch adjusting filter and fluid change.

Ive also jacked it up and sprayed the cvc boots, steering rack boots with silicon spray inaddition to all the gaskets, window and door seals and other rubber parts.

Thanks

What exactly did you use to treat the CV boots on your car? (and perhaps others can recommend specific products). Living in the great upper Midwest, I've had to have several CV boots replaced when they have cracked. I've never let it get so bad that they leak grease, of course.

Years ago, it wasn't too expensive. (Not something I can do myself...)

The last time I had to have it done, it was cheaper to put in a rebuilt drive axle, with new boots, of course, than the labor to replace just the boot. Probably around $250. Kind of pricy to replace a $15 part.

If there's a product that can significantly extend the life of CV boots, I'd sure like to know about it. I would certainly use it regularly.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
You guys saying don't eat or drink in your car are breaking me up. Maybe for 6-year olds. I'll agree that even when you're careful, it's hard not to make a few crumbs or drop an errant french fry or two. But it hardly qualifies as a serious hazard to your car's long term appearance. I wouldn't eat a slab of ribs and a watermelon in my car, but come on now!

VWTim

Enlightened
Lightmeup said:
You guys saying don't eat or drink in your car are breaking me up. Maybe for 6-year olds. I'll agree that even when you're careful, it's hard not to make a few crumbs or drop an errant french fry or two. But it hardly qualifies as a serious hazard to your car's long term appearance. I wouldn't eat a slab of ribs and a watermelon in my car, but come on now!

I see it as to each their own. But it also kinda reminds me of the grandma with plastic slip covers on the couch. I'd rather enjoy my interior and spend a little more time cleaning it up.

Empath

Flashaholic
In particular, Cobb, please take note of this thread that has been re-stickied. It will likely be a sticky for a period of time, and then once again fall off the page.

At times the creation of threads can become nearly the same thing as a blog. With the number of members we have, we cannot offer blogging resources to everyone.

There may come a time that we suddenly break into your posting frenzy with a comment such as "do not blog". We may close some threads, combine them, or even send them off into never never land.

Failure to adjust your posting habits can result in restrictions.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry Empath and guys. I noticed that the other day that I had quite a few posts on the main page. The forum seemed rather quiet and I have been out of work the past week and guess the two do not mix? Lots of smart people here I wished I lived near or worked with for that matter that I would love to get their input on stuff.

Would you mind me repsonding to the question at hand?

goldenlight said:
What exactly did you use to treat the CV boots on your car?

I had a former relative who was a car care freak, he died 3 years ago and I just have a vague knowledge of what he used and did. He had stuff he put on everything and would drive 100k miles in a few years as he commuted a lot and did some delivery from his car/truck/suv, what ever he drove.

Anyways, he too went through cvc boots and once those are torn, stuff gets into the joint and ruins it if the boot is not replaced immediately. Anyway, I recall he used spray silicon on them and the joint would fail before the stock boot would at about 75 thousand miles. I do not have any brands to recommend, just check your local auto store. THe stuff I used is in an orange can from advance auto by the snake oil for engines and engine treatments and fuel addatives. Make sure to not hit the rotor or it will effect your brakes when spraying the outter joint. Dont worry about hitting stuff when spraying the inner boot. I also hit my steering rack boots as well since I was under it.

This is my last post.

goldenlight

Enlightened
cobb said:
Sorry Empath and guys. I noticed that the other day that I had quite a few posts on the main page. The forum seemed rather quiet and I have been out of work the past week and guess the two do not mix? Lots of smart people here I wished I lived near or worked with for that matter that I would love to get their input on stuff.

Would you mind me repsonding to the question at hand?

I had a former relative who was a car care freak, he died 3 years ago and I just have a vague knowledge of what he used and did. He had stuff he put on everything and would drive 100k miles in a few years as he commuted a lot and did some delivery from his car/truck/suv, what ever he drove.

Anyways, he too went through cvc boots and once those are torn, stuff gets into the joint and ruins it if the boot is not replaced immediately. Anyway, I recall he used spray silicon on them and the joint would fail before the stock boot would at about 75 thousand miles. I do not have any brands to recommend, just check your local auto store. THe stuff I used is in an orange can from advance auto by the snake oil for engines and engine treatments and fuel addatives. Make sure to not hit the rotor or it will effect your brakes when spraying the outter joint. Dont worry about hitting stuff when spraying the inner boot. I also hit my steering rack boots as well since I was under it.

This is my last post.

Lots of different 'silicone' sprays at the local auto parts store. I'm sure some would actually be BAD for the CV boots. (One I looked at had a lot of petroleum distillates in it...) Between -25F winters, and +100F summers, CV boots really take a beating where I live. I'd like to get as much life out of them as possible.

Anyone else have a recommendation?

TIA

Dawg

Enlightened
Rayne said:
I also got a new car this past December and haven't polish/waxed it yet because there's so many choices out there. Just been washing it with Mother's California gold car wash. There any polish and/or wax recommendations for a black car without any swirl marks or anything like that yet? Not really looking for a cleaner wax or polish with abrasives in it.
Number one with a black car, is don't ever let water sit on the car. Any good premium wax like Mothers or Mequiars and use the concours application technique, apply and remove in a straight fore and aft stroke only. Order some Wolfgang Concours Series Instant Detail Spritz. The stuff is a miracle on black cars. Expensive, but worth every penny.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
Wax - If you are going to wax once a month then use a pure caranuba wax. Do not use a cleaner wax. Cleaner wax has a mild abrasive. Use cleaner wax when you get some kind of blemish you want to remove. I think once a month waxing is a little excessive. You should be fine doing it once every 3 months.

Waxing technique. In one car restoration magazine I read they had an article from a detailer who did cars for Pebble Beach. He said never wax in circles. Do a 3x3 square. Work the wax horizontally, then vertically. Let it dry to a haze. Re-apply more wax in the same technique over the hazed wax then immediately wipe with a dry cloth.

For the interior, try Lemon Pledge. It is basically a wax that you spray on.