• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Oveready DIP P60 8 Mode Group Dropin

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got done with an evening stroll and had a chance to compare my new DIP with some old favorites.

Compared to the Elzetta AVS on 1x18650 , the DIP has a larger, brighter hotspot and brighter forward spill, but less peripheral brightness. The overall lumen output seems similar to my PFlexPro reflector dropin which also runs a 4000K 219c, but the DIP puts more of its light downrange and less into the spill. The DIP was no match for a Malkoff Hound Dog in long range though. I wasn't able to get any pictures to turn out, but I'll try again tomorrow.

Currently I'm running the DIP in my new Z35 but I may need to move it to an 18650 host because it eats through an aspire 18350 real fast.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Thanks- I am looking for somewhat of a thrower to supplement my M61N mostly for fun.

I am debating between this, an M61T or a convoy c8 from mountain electronics. I like the optics options, the color and the ability to switch mode groups on the DIP and I have an empty P60 host...

The design goal of the DIP Optic is not a 'I've got 10 lights at home, which should I bring to a throw light job' kind of light. But more of a 'this light is small enough to carry often and is good when I need range while doing so'. So it offers remarkable throw for such a small OD light but is meant to be small enough to EDC. So it won't reach into the hundreds of yards that a 'to large to EDC' dedicated thrower will but is still much more throwy than a flooder like a mule or triple.

Oh snap. My order just shipped with the 219c model so it's about an hour late for me. How much of a difference is there in lumens and lux?
Let me know if you'd prefer XPL, i can swap you out.

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Got my xpl 4000k throw in today. With a 30q i measured 4.5amps. 30kcd with mcclicky and 38kcd with OR zero rez. The beam pattern is very similar to the malkoff m61t,m61hot and m91t drop ins, focused round hotspot with square corona. High is direct drive, med has visible/audible pwm, low and dim appears to use pwm also but not visible or audible. Its cool seeing something new for the p60 fans out there. What i find interesting is 38kcd is what my direct drive smooth reflector xpl hi drop ins measure also and the dip has a regular domed xpl. I wonder what candela a xpl hi would come in at since the throw optic seems to focus more light than the reflector. Can't figure out what kind of hybrid nemory they went with, guess i need to mess with it more. Overall cool dropnin. Here's a couple beams shots comparing to a malkoff m61hot.

About 60ft to trampoline

M61hot 17kcd
AfaXDNg.jpg

Dip throw xpl 4k 38kcd
pbfNreS.jpg

Last edited:

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Seems like it uses on time to decide what mode is next.
On less than 2 seconds - next time on will be next mode
On more than 3 seconds - next time on will be the first mode in the group

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
…low and dim appears to use pwm also but not visible or audible.

Perhaps rephrasing might be helpful. If low and dim have no visible or audible PWM, then how can they appear to use PWM?

I was not looking for PWM until after reading this post today. Nothing seen with any technique I usually use to see it. Can you show proof how you detected something?

Years ago I had a Photon Pro. It gave a sound on some modes. There was a dropin purchased from a then-popular modder a few years ago that also had sound when it was near running water from a faucet (?!)

Having read here on CPF about inductor whine being more common than perceived, I believe that's what's happening. I also remember reading that inductor whine is not necessarily because of any PWM. It is only audible with my sample on the 30% mode setting. Wondering if all configurations that include 30% will have the faint sound.

Jose Marin

Enlightened
It might not be visible to everyone but 30% i can see very easily by waving it in my periferial vision. The trick i learned from a post on this forum a while ago that i used for low and dim is turn my cell phone camera on and aim the light right into the lens, if you see lines going across then it's pwm. I use that trick for setting a certain medium mode that doesnt use pwm in my p60s that have th e h17f driver

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?335237-Detecting-PWM-with-a-camera-phone

Last edited:

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
This dropin is really easy to modify and is very well made! Just installed a MTN-17DDm driver with guppydrv3 firmware.

Here's a picture of the factory driver with the retaining ring removed.
e0a7d44de906fbf22b3ef0ace51e0ba8.jpg

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, easiest mod in the World. Does Guppydrive avoid PWM?
P
I believe it still uses pwm but it's a very high frequency. I can't see or hear it in any mode. The upgrade for me is more flexible programming and I don't have to remove it to change the programming.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got this module a few days ago. I like the shape of the beam, control and shade. I put it in the body UniqueFire M2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmGx2_hEOC8

During the installation process, I noticed that the metal part of the module leaves small scratches on the optical part of the module. I don't care, because I did not notice the effect of these scratches on the shape of the beam. I'm wondering, is there some kind of thermal control? The first thing I decided to check is my battery life - in 20.58 launched the maximum mode, in 22.23 activated Battery protection (dim then cutoff at 2.8v). When I took out the battery, I saw that the shell had partially melted.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Sorry for the confusion. DIP has voltage protection. It does not have thermal protection. But even so, it should also not reach the point of damaging the optic. There is a factory alignment notch on the side that can get in the way and need trimming and may be what you are describing(?).

Let me send you a new one optic to confirm. PM sent!