• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired P60 modules -warm, neutral, cool white/XRE-XPE-XPG-XML-U3 / NICHIA 92CRI PART 11

minion

Newly Enlightened
Hi Dave. I want to buy P60 regulated single stage drop-in with LOP reflector and nichia 219 LED for Surefire C2 (1xLi-ion/2xCR123A - 2.8-6V) combined with Mc2S 2-stage switch. What do you think about raising an amperage to 1.7A with this LED, or it will cause a significant color shift?

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dave. I want to buy P60 regulated single stage drop-in with LOP reflector and nichia 219 LED for Surefire C2 (1xLi-ion/2xCR123A - 2.8-6V) combined with Mc2S 2-stage switch. What do you think about raising an amperage to 1.7A with this LED, or it will cause a significant color shift?

Hi

It probably won't tint shift with that amperage just less runtime.

thanks

Dave

jso902

Enlightened
I was looking on your website for p60 drop ins; do you have an high CRI xp-g2 that will tolerate 2-3 rcr123? I can only find 6V as the max.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking on your website for p60 drop ins; do you have an high CRI xp-g2 that will tolerate 2-3 rcr123? I can only find 6V as the max.

Hi

All we carry is a one level 3.6-18 volt http://customlites.com/P60-D26-Cree-XP-G2-36-16volt-P60-XPG2-HV.htm the warm white is the 90cri, while the two show 100k difference they are the same emitter now.
We carry few high voltage drivers since they are notoriously inefficient. RCR123 is 800 mah while a 17670 is 1800 mah so we carry more of the 6 volt max than the 8.4 volt.

If a one level will do those are good modules.

Dave

jso902

Enlightened
Gotcha; I'm a little bit of a newbie here. Hope i ask for the right thing.
I'd like a warm throw. 2-3 levels (hi low +/- med), but which of these would your recommend?
XP-G2 are known to typically for their throw, but I'm open to the xm-L2 and nichia.
Which would you recommend me to get a:
XP-G2 Q2 7C1 tint 3000k warm white 90CRI @1.4 amp
XML2 90 + HIGH CRI P60 at 3amp
or
NVSL219 4500k 92 CRI

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotcha; I'm a little bit of a newbie here. Hope i ask for the right thing.
I'd like a warm throw. 2-3 levels (hi low +/- med), but which of these would your recommend?
XP-G2 are known to typically for their throw, but I'm open to the xm-L2 and nichia.
Which would you recommend me to get a:
XP-G2 Q2 7C1 tint 3000k warm white 90CRI @1.4 amp
XML2 90 + HIGH CRI P60 at 3amp
or
NVSL219 4500k 92 CRI

Hi

The XPG2 will have the best throw of the 3 mentioned although the XML2 will be brighter. The XPG2 has a 115 degree beam while the XML2 has a 125 degree. Choose a smooth reflector for the best throw.

The nichia is not near as warm as the other two, the XPG2 and XML2 are more incan looking than the nichia.

Dave

jso902

Enlightened
1. xpg2 for throw, smooth, up to 6v 3 mode med high strobe 1.5 amp

2. Tentative- xml2 for flood. op.
3amp. High med low 6v
Would 4.5A at 30% generate more heat then 3A at 100%
Can I run 4.5A at 30% for a prolonged time?

Both in cri >90

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. xpg2 for throw, smooth, up to 6v 3 mode med high strobe 1.5 amp

2. Tentative- xml2 for flood. op.
3amp. High med low 6v

Both in cri >90

HI

While you have seen that amperage listed on here for XML2 please read that I do NOT suggest running at this amperage, if new to the game you will be well served at 3 amps which is our standard amperage and Cree's specs.

At the above amperage it means NO primaries since 3 amps is pushing it especially for some brands, few 18650's will pull 4.5 amps for more than a Very short while but it is your module.

to answer your question 30% of 4.2 amps would be less than 3 amps so it would run cooler than 3 amps but will be 30% less bright..

Dave

Last edited:

thejrod

Newly Enlightened
Well 3A at 100% is ... 3A.
4.5A at 30% is 1.35A. So basically just a bit brighter any other medium mode.

I have one of nailbender's 3A XMLs, and another 4.3A XML. Very very little difference in noticeable brightness, but more difference in runtime and heat.

jso902

Enlightened
It was a newbie question for future options. The xpg2 would be the primary led for the host. I was just curious about the xml2. 3 amp sounds good.
Ok...here's the order:
1. Xpg2, smooth, to 6v 1.5amp 3 mode med high strobe
2. sunlight xml -but can i get the Xml2, op, to 6v 3 amp, 4 modes
Would that be 58.95 + 35?

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was a newbie question for future options. The xpg2 would be the primary led for the host. I was just curious about the xml2. 3 amp sounds good.
Ok...here's the order:
1. Xpg2, smooth, to 6v 1.5amp 3 mode med high strobe
2. sunlight xml -but can i get the Xml2, op, to 6v 3 amp, 4 modes
Would that be 58.95 + 35?

Hi

Lights and module shipped

thanks

Dave

jso902

Enlightened
Wow! That was fast. Can't wait to see the flashlight. Btw, where did the sunlight design come from? Was it a custom design?

jso902

Enlightened
you're gonna love NB's work!

Wow! I almost thought this was an incandescent lamp!
The craftsmanship is amazing
Thank you Dave for the great flashlight.

Customer Service is above and beyond. Thank you very much!

couple of small questions whenever you get the chance, do I just cut the springs to make the xpg2 fit flush?
Is there anything you would recommend to make the host more fitted with the battery?
The Trustfire charger: can you charge 2 rcr123 in series ? Is there a difference between 3V or 4.2V setting?

outersquare

Enlightened
Still using an early NB direct drive SST90, I still have not found anything better in terms of both output, fit and quality. Still brighter than xml2 and xpg2 triple lamps. I figured out you can use 2xLFP batteries and this pushes ~5.5 amps, making it almost as bright as a custom C8 with direct drive MTG2 and 2xIMR. It's stupid bright. I'm sure this setup is some kind of travesty but the switch and the lamp have held up for almost a year now.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! I almost thought this was an incandescent lamp!
The craftsmanship is amazing
Thank you Dave for the great flashlight.

Customer Service is above and beyond. Thank you very much!

couple of small questions whenever you get the chance, do I just cut the springs to make the xpg2 fit flush?
Is there anything you would recommend to make the host more fitted with the battery?
The Trustfire charger: can you charge 2 rcr123 in series ? Is there a difference between 3V or 4.2V setting?

Hi

The charge has two setting one for LifePo4 cells (3v) and one for li ion cells which is what you have (4.2V)

What are you using the XPG2 in if a Surefire then as it tells on the mailing tube that you have to cut the outer spring. If using a Solarforce I doubt it would be needed to close the lamphead.
If a surefire you will have to cut to probably one ring and some have had to remove the outer spring and shim with tape which should need minimal if any.

While not an expert in battery charging I don't think I would charge two like that. We sell a solarforce charger that allow the charging of two cells at once and adjusts from RCR123 to 18650.

As for the sunlight design the vendor had the design and we asked for a few changes, you got one that was labeled we have several that were left blank with not writing.

Dave

jso902

Enlightened
Hi Dave,
Originally the XPG2 was for the Sunlight, but the XML2 seems to sit a little better in there.
So here are the leftover parts:

Are there any rechargeable options that you would recommend in a surefire G2 body? Or should i just get another host?
Originally I thought about doing a 17670 x2 (extra AN14 lying around), but this might be too much voltage for the led.