P90 vs P91

aares

Newly Enlightened
Is the P91 that much brighter than the P90? I understand its ~95 lumens more, but I couldnt find any versus beamshots so I am asking now. Thanks! :dedhorse::xyxgun:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's floodier, that's what my eyes tell me. It doesn't throw any farther, just makes more light, if that's not an oversimplification. I used to bring the P91 camping, but even using 2x17670s, I'd rather have 1 hours runtime with the P90, than 40 mins with the P91.

mdocod

Flashaholic
The P90 on 3 CR123s is more like 125 lumen, while the P91 on 3 CR123 is more like 250 lumen. Like omega_man said, the P91 is a flood light, while the P90 is focused. On CR123s the difference is that the hot spot is bigger with similar intensity. If you run the P91 on rechargable Li-Ion cells, it runs nearly 400 lumen, totally blowing a P90 away.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I think Surefire's figures are 105 for the P90 and 200 for the P91. I'm with Omega man in that I'd rather have the P90 and get an hours worth of output.

Another option are the lamp assemblies offered by Lumens Factory. Their lamps seem to brighter and and or more efficient. The ES-9 will give you more lumens for more time, although their figures are slightly over rated.

http://lumensfactory.com/products.php?cat_id=2&sub_cat_id=3

Last edited:

nobody

Newly Enlightened
mdocod nailed it - P91 on Li-ions - the output is WHITE and WIDE. It is hard to describe. My wife says it is "LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS" and "TURN IT OFF". P9 + A19 + (2) 17670's + P91 is a combination that just has to be tried to really be appreciated.

mdocod

Flashaholic
The ES-9 will give you more lumens for more time, although their figures are slightly over rated.

it will run longer, but it won't be brighter. sorry. The P90 is about 20-30% brighter than an ES-9. The ES-9 uses about 30-40% less energy.

Patriot

Flashaholic
mdocod said:
it will run longer, but it won't be brighter. sorry. The P90 is about 20-30% brighter than an ES-9. The ES-9 uses about 30-40% less energy.

Isn't that goofy that they rate that lamp assembly at 150 lumens? Geez, talk about over rating.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
nobody said:
mdocod nailed it - P91 on Li-ions - the output is WHITE and WIDE. It is hard to describe. My wife says it is "LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS" and "TURN IT OFF". P9 + A19 + (2) 17670's + P91 is a combination that just has to be tried to really be appreciated.
Here here. Nuthin says luvin like a C3 with A19 and 2x17670's lighting up a field/forest/driveway.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Isn't that goofy that they rate that lamp assembly at 150 lumens? Geez, talk about over rating.

actually, lumensfactory lamps are validly rated, and conservative in their own right... LF gives bulb lumens at a particular voltage, while SF gives conservative average torch lumens. Both methods are completely valid and reasonable in my opinion. LF ratings are nice because they list bulb voltage, CCT, lumens, and life, all on their website for all to see and plainly state that they are bulb lumens. With the information LF gives us, it is much easier to estimate real world values in different configurations, SF gives us a lot less to work with, but they do rate their bulbs very conservatively.

batman

Enlightened
are the lumens factory bulbs for the executive and 6P/9P lights as robust as the surefire original lamp assemblies?

Last edited:

Glen C

Enlightened
Batman, in the E series the Surefire base is made of plastic, the Lumens Factory is made of aluminium. The D26 LF series is well made, seems the equal of Surefire to me. There are more comments on LF quality in their thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/144248

I would second Mdocod's comments on LF, as a dealer I have found them very upfront and honest, I think the spec sheet on their website speaks volumes towards that, how many other do similar?

mdocod

Flashaholic
are the lumens factory bulbs for the executive and 6P/9P lights as robust as the surefire original lamp assemblies?

yes and no... Both lamps are built incredibly well and should survive impacts. LF assemblies are solidly and accurately built. They have an overall good track record of coming from the factory with the bulbs well aligned, providing beautiful beam patterns that are nice and round with tons of throw. Both SF and LF have had lamps make their way into customers hands that weren't "perfect." SF did a lot of work coming up with an awesome set of lamps that have very high reliability, and so did LF, read here: http://www.lumensfactory.com/design_concept.htm ...

However- LF lamps have been designed with more output and less bulb life in mind. This is a trade off, well worth it IMO. Most LF bulbs are rated ~20 hours, while most SF bulbs are rated around 50 hours. But the life of a bulb is very dependent on how you choose to power it. Driving a SF P91 on a pair of 18650s will drop it's life expectancy to about 10 hours.

mdocod

Flashaholic
in response to the original question... I found some old picts I had taken of a G90 verses a P91.. the G90 is a G&P lamp that is pretty comparable to a P90 performance wise. these comparisons are with li-ion cells, so the difference is a little more dramatic than it would be on primaries.

G901-15.jpg

P911-15.jpg

Destroid Monster

Newly Enlightened
mdocod said:
However- LF lamps have been designed with more output and less bulb life in mind. This is a trade off, well worth it IMO. Most LF bulbs are rated ~20 hours, while most SF bulbs are rated around 50 hours. But the life of a bulb is very dependent on how you choose to power it. Driving a SF P91 on a pair of 18650s will drop it's life expectancy to about 10 hours.

Would driving a MN15 or MN16 on two(2) 18650 shorten the lifespan of the respective LAs? Blowing a $25+ LA away for 10 hours doesn't sounds very economical to me.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I say *about* 10 hours because there are a lot of variable that effect tactical lamp life. It seems that SF also probably understated average life expectancy of their bulbs as well.

10 hours doesn't sound like much, but when you stretch it out, and use it a few minutes at a time, it can last some people years on a flashlight.

assuming that the MN15 and MN16 are "50 hour" bulbs on CR123s... a MN15 would become more like 35 hours, and the MN16 something like 10-20 hours.(I come up with 12.5).

It's worth it because on 18650s, something like an MN16 is WAY brighter than it would have been on CR123s

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as the topic has shifted to LF lamps VS SF lamps, I will mention that I am so very pleased with the LF lamps thus far. However, I believe they have less lifespan than the SF lights, maybe because they are more overdriven ? Having said that though they are a lot cheaper and come very well presented in their neat cases.

Telkin

Enlightened
+1 for LF LA's. They're high quality and I have received nothing but great service from them even with a simple shipping mishap. Can't wait for their M series to come out so I can buy more.

Geologist

Enlightened
Keep in mind that the lumen ratings for the SF lights have been measured out the end of the light with a integrating sphere. IIRC, an empirical value of about 60% can be applied to "bulb lumens" to get an idea of how much light comes out once you stick on the reflector, lens, etc. If that is the case, a P91 at 205 lumens (flashlight output) would equal to about 340 bulb lumens. Just a thought....

I see no real difference in max throw between the P90 and P91 - just more light - I carry my C3 with a P91 and 2XPila 150S - and have the P90 with 6 primaries in the spares carrier. I really like the recharable C3/P91 setup! I also often use the P90 in a C2 with 2XR123 protected cells - I have also had good luck with this as well.