Paralysis through analysis - Help?

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to find a budget (under $20.00 if possible) P60 drop-in to run on 2xcr123 primaries. I have been reading for the past two days and am just kind of lost. You got your single mode, 3 mode, 5 mode, P4's, R2's, R5's. I'm lost I tell ya, just lost.

For 2xcr123 primaries, what voltages should I be looking at? 3.4-9, 3-18, 3.4-16, 4.2-8.4, 6-18 ..... any of these, none of these?

I just wanted something simple to pop into an old Brinkmann Legend LX, then maybe getting a Solarforce L2P to play with down the line. But just sorting through all this stuff is starting to make my eyes bug out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

UberLumens

Newly Enlightened
Great thread title

Voltage/drivers:
3.4-6V
These lights will work well on 2 primary or One 18650.
(CR123a primary are 3 volts each, so 2 =6v)
Never give more voltage than max rating it will poof.

(having a 3.4-9v range will give you room to grow to 3 primary but are tougher to find that the 6v max ones) (the benefit is usually longer run time, but it can be brighter depends on maker)
---------------

Modes:
low medium high , add strobe and sos to some.

I never found a frequent use for sos or strobe so tend to go for LMH lights

Take a look at the sequence. Low first helps preserve night vision if your concerned with that.

-----

LED wise:
(generally speaking) smaller emitters give more throw and a brighter hot spot.

If you want more flood(generally more useful for daily tasks) go for a larger emitter or multi die (sst or mce even a p7)

------------
The l2/l2p is a great choice, and their drop-ins are just as useful for the price, i have several and i like them.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread title

Voltage/drivers:
3.4-6V
These lights will work well on 2 primary or One 18650.
(CR123a primary are 3 volts each, so 2 =6v)
Never give more voltage than max rating it will poof.

(having a 3.4-9v range will give you room to grow to 3 primary but are tougher to find that the 6v max ones) (the benefit is usually longer run time, but it can be brighter depends on maker)
---------------

Modes:
low medium high , add strobe and sos to some.

I never found a frequent use for sos or strobe so tend to go for LMH lights

Take a look at the sequence. Low first helps preserve night vision if your concerned with that.

-----

LED wise:
(generally speaking) smaller emitters give more throw and a brighter hot spot.

If you want more flood(generally more useful for daily tasks) go for a larger emitter or multi die (sst or mce even a p7)

------------
The l2/l2p is a great choice, and their drop-ins are just as useful for the price, i have several and i like them.

I just get caught up in what I think is over analyzing this stuff. It really isn't as complicated as I make it. So, since I'm stuck, I figured I'd ask those who are less encumbered than myself. LOL!

Thanks for the input, it really does help.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am presuming from your post saving money is important to you so I would add to the above suggestions & look for a XP-G R5 led or XP-G R4(Neutral tint variant) for maximum run times & getting the most runtime out of your primary cells.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 mode is best, low-med-high, you wont always want big light output and having lower levels available is nice.