Paul Kim's PKFL2LE?

Knoxster

Newly Enlightened
Hi PKDL fans,
I am a new member here, and I am the proud owner of #151, and disassembled the torch for the first time a few days ago.
I know from the the specs that this item is supposed to be rated IPX7.
1. However, when I released the strike bezel from the head, I was surprised to discover that the borofloat glass slid out easily. Is the reflector area already waterproof without any additional seals?

2. When I separated the head from the battery compartment, I noticed that some solidified gel was present on the threaded side. Have I inadvertantly compromised the waterproofness of this torch, or is there a sealant that I can apply to "reseal" it?

Your advice is much appreciated.

Knoxster.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Paul Kim's PKFL2LE

When I remove the bezel on my FL2, the lens could easily be removed, but it is resting on an "O" ring that keeps the waterproof integrity of the reflector side of the light. When I remove the tail cap to replace batteries the waterproof integrity is maintained by two additional "O" rings. I tried to remove the head of the light and despite there being excellent grip I was unable to remove the head. This leads to believe one of two things:
1. The solidified gel may be "loctite" to encourage all battery changing through the tail cap as intended. Or:
2. My FL2 head is just remarkably tight and what you saw was the thread lubricant put on at the factory.

I can say this about my light-it has seen a lot of use in very wet weather (it is my "go to" light for wet weather or any water faring or open ocean occasions-primarily as it is extremely easy to hold and use in freezing wet weather, with or without gloves). Maybe PK or bykfixer can chime in on this....

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Hello Knoxster. Welcome to CPF.

I'll start with the goo you mention: PK glued the head onto the body as a way to seal that area without an o-ring. The glue softens over time with use but that does not compromise the water tight condition. Using an E-6000 from a hobby store should return it back to original water tight condition, but that's not guarenteed.

To the lens:
There should be a 'gasket' (ie flat o-ring) between the lens and reflector. It's not easy to spot. And yeah when removing the strike bezel allows the lens to come out easily.

Hope that answers your concerns. If you have any more questions drop me a PM when your post count is up to 3 iirc. We'll chat off board.

Knoxster

Newly Enlightened

Hello Knoxster. Welcome to CPF.

Thank you bykfixer! Am very pleased with the answers given. I am sure this light will give me years of enjoyment. I just purchased a Sportac drop-in (3xCree XP-G2 S2), and will be glad to have a spare emitter sitting at home just in case.

Thanks once again!!!