PCB design for led's (Samsung LM561b)

wu_tang

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I would like to create a cuustom "star" PCB for the mentioned led's (http://www.samsung.com/global/business/led/lighting/component/middle-power), but I'm a bit confused about the recommended landing pattern - it has 3 soldering points for the cathode, and my question is whether you think I could connect them all together? What would you say is the reason for them being separated?
(I want to have them on aluminum PCB boards, so I would like to have only one layer)

best regards,
D.

WeLight

Enlightened
Your looking for this
mcpcb5630.jpg
mcpcb-5630small(1).jpg

Last edited:

wu_tang

Newly Enlightened
well, not exactly - I want to have three of them on one PCB, but basically my question is whether I need to have the 3 cathode pads separated or I could connect them to one big pad (I'm just designing the PCB, and I'm thinking it could be cheaper to have just one pad for the cathode + one pad for anode manufactured)

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolutely the three cathode pads should be connected together. As should the two anode pads. It would be a mistake not to do this. The reason for separating them is to improve solderability and production yield. This separation does not need to occur on the copper layer of your PCB, but it does need to occur on your solder mask and solder stencil layers.