'Pearl' Violet 405nm 90mW Anodized Kryton barrel build

dr_lava

Enlightened
Hi, it's time for the latest installment in building.. a LG ggw-h20l 6x blu-ray burner was sacrificed for its beautiful gem 405nm laser diode. This time the kenbarrel kryton was anodized in sulfuric acid using the procedure I outlined in this thread. Then the barrel was cleaned and waxed with Meguiars car wax three times to give it a smooth feel and soft shiny luster. Because of the relatively uncontrolled home anodizing process, the finish ended up with a slight pearl-like swirl finish.

The laser diode was extracted as in the 6x thread and pressed into the kenbarrel head with a steel tube. A 1n4004 rectifier was mounted to the input of the flexdrive to drop the 6V of the 2 CR123 cells to 5.5V for the FlexDrive, and spring attached to this. The leads of the diode were stiff enough to act as a mount as long as the proper spring depth was set. The case pin of the diode was soldered to the cathode, and the pins were soldered to the FlexDrive, which was then glued in place to the barrel head, using drilled holes in the head as glue anchors. Finally, the spring was centered and the barrel assembled.

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0011_.jpg

PICT0012_.jpg

Using the provided chart, the current was adjusted to provide 85-95mW power output from the diode for long life. A lens cap will be added for dust protection and pocket carry.

So far I'm really happy with this one, and all of the parts are available so anyone else can make one too!

The flexdrives are available here if you're interested:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=178168

Last edited:

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow awesome build and still brighter and cheaper than commercially available models.
I would have been :hairpull: while extracting the diode.
You must have,
1922_100_100.jpg

dr_lava

Enlightened
Wow awesome build and still brighter and cheaper than commercially available models.
I would have been :hairpull: while extracting the diode.
You must have,
1922_100_100.jpg

haha, thanks. This his the third extraction from this $300 model burner I have done, and by the third, it doesn't seem so bad ;)

COMMANDR

Enlightened
VERY,VERY Nice. Awesome job dr_lava :thumbsup:. I been waiting for the laser barrels from Kenom for quiet a while now to put my Blue ray diode in that I purchased from the group buy you ran so time ago. (driver availabilty problems). Those pics have got me all excited to put that little diode to work, alas no barrel/driver to put it in. I might have to start 405nm, 90mw laser pointer project after seeing how awesome yours turned out.

Gary

Last edited:

RDZombie

Newly Enlightened
great build Dr. I cant wait for these drives to come down in price; been dreaming of building my self one for some time now. Meanwhile I have 10 ps3 diodes sitting here, they just seem so weak in comparison.

dr_lava

Enlightened
Update: more pics!:
The finish has evened out and become shiny after waxing a few times.

this photo was taken with it running at 135mW at night with humidity in the air.
PICT0050.jpg

PICT0053.jpg

COMMANDR

Enlightened
Looks like a PHASER to me. :grin2: Very cool beam shot Dr. I wish the 6x bluray burners wheren't so much $$$.:faint:

Gary

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
That's a beautiful job Dr lava! Outstanding.

It would be neat of you built them to sell. :naughty:

dr_lava

Enlightened
thanks for the nice comments guys :)

I have made one or two for sale in the past, it was in the buy/sell forum.