Pelican 7070R Bluetooth in a flashlight!?

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Recently I picked up (apparently a discontinued) flashlight from Pelican. Its called the 7070R and it uses induction to charge the battery in a cradle charger. It also comes with a bluetooth app so you can set up your output levels or specialized settings. I just have to wait for the thing to charge before I can start to mess with it. Anyone buy one or have experience with this?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently I picked up (apparently a discontinued) flashlight from Pelican. Its called the 7070R and it uses induction to charge the battery in a cradle charger. It also comes with a bluetooth app so you can set up your output levels or specialized settings. I just have to wait for the thing to charge before I can start to mess with it. Anyone buy one or have experience with this?
A BT interface for my flashlight sounds like the stuff of my worst nightmares.

That aside, I would think that any flashlight model that's new enough to have a BT interface, but is already discontinued, likely doesn't speak well for the product - but that's just my opinion. Good luck, and have 'fun'.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
A BT interface for my flashlight sounds like the stuff of my worst nightmares.

That aside, I would think that any flashlight model that's new enough to have a BT interface, but is already discontinued, likely doesn't speak well for the product - but that's just my opinion. Good luck, and have 'fun'.
Well so far my grumbles are coming out, its taking a really long time to charge, probably because of the induction charging. I tried to get it to pair but the app and phone keep fighting with each other. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I will have to look into it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
More than likely, there were teething issues with the technology when the light was first released.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
More than likely, there were teething issues with the technology when the light was first released.
So heres the update, I got everything to work properly, the app apparently had not been update in about 4 years. However, I was able to program settings and outputs. I would say the biggest negative is honestly the user manual, it dedicates 1 paragraph to the whole use of the bluetooth app. I also noticed that hidden in the box (good thing I didnt throw it away) was a caddy to run disposable CR123a batteries. Its a great addition to the light, but no where on the box and again hidden in the manual does it say that you can run 2 cr123 batteries. Great idea, not the best for marketing on the features.