Pelican Sabrelight Submersible - Thrift Store Find

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out in the wilds of Pennsylvania in the thrift stores of New Holland, I went on a flashlight hunt today. Poking around through old clothes and stuff made out of wood from barns, visions of a basket of old Kel-Lites or Surefire turboheads danced in my head, I kept poking around, walking in and out of several thrift shops all in a row.

I walked down the aisle in one store that was closing in 5 minutes, and there is was, unopened, hanging on a shower curtain ring in the original blister pack for $5 USD next to a stack of VHS tapes and Polaroid cameras.

5LUNvV5.jpg

qqzKjhI.jpg

o9iu4wy.jpg

It takes three "C" cells, and I had two that were good, and one that was dead. Never fear, I'm an expert in PVC pipe spacers, I can run... then I saw the proprietary battery holder...

wQQSwNJ.jpg

(you think that C cell from 2008 is still any good?)

that only fits C-cells perfectly and doesn't play well with other battery sizes. There's no spring at the bottom, the battery holder routes the other end of the circuit back up to the reflector. Nevertheless, with some creative PVC pipe segments and Gorilla-tape, I managed to run it on 3 NiMH AA's I had charged. It's so tight that Energizer Lithiums are just a hair too long.

O7ACpf7.jpg

Great light, I remember these from back in the day. Reminds me of a couple UKE lights I had. I may get some actual "C" cells to try this in my father-in-law's pool this summer.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

sgt253

Enlightened
Good score is right. You will like it I am sure. I am looking at my shelf w/ 3 Super Sabrelights, a 4AA Stealthlite and a Pro Lite 4C right now. I gave Pro Light 4C's as Groomsmen's gifts to my wedding party way back when. Carried the Stealthlite and had Super Sabrelight in the vehicles. Pelican was one of my first "real" flashlights.
Best.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does that take pr bulbs?
Hey snakebite,

No it doesn't. They have their own proprietary reflector/bulb units. They have a little chemical tablet embedded in them I think to absorb nastyness in case a battery goes south.

I had a similiar light, a little Uke 2AAA and was disappointed when the bulb finally went that I couldn't easily find a replacement.