PGL-IIIA Arrivals

-FX-

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

I received my unit today (in Germany). I put in fresh energizer cells and made a little video. I burned my digicam-case and you can see it smokes instantly. But after that there were no damages on the case. The divergence is 1mrad+. I think it is 1,1 -1,2mrad. I had another laser with a beam divergence under 1 and if i compare both you can see that the dot from the pgl is larger 5 meters away. And yes, it burns matches and pops ballons and burns plastic. If i point my finger it hurts after 2 seconds...

Ok, now enjoy the video, but you can turn off your speakers, my brother is playing xbox360 in background hehe.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/p9zmf5

THX NINJA for this groupbuy! Very nice laser!!!:goodjob:

Fabian

Bionic-Badger

Newly Enlightened
Well I used ImageShack to host this image. Pretty nice service really. This photo was taken at night using a 15-second exposure on a Canon S3 IS:

Outside pic edited out by Kiessling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Madz

Enlightened
This is my first green laser so I just wanna know how the dot is supposed to look. Here are some pictures but my camera is not exactly the best quality.

In the picture you may not see it, but there is the dot with the light blasting away from the center like you would imagine a laser should look like. But there seems to be a line that goes through it and there is a lot of light around where the beam lands that seems more like its a lense irregularity then it does light spread. I kinda illustrated what im talking about in the next picture.

Outside pics edited out by Kiessling.

In this picture the image on the right is just the beam. the left is the illustration (if you couldnt tell already :dedhorse:) the red line is the line I'm talking about. It is not just a random anomaly because the this beam is on a different wall at a different instance then the other picture. The red dots are the only way I could visually describe what the extra glow around the normal dot and its glow looks like. When I move the laser to different spots on the wall the dot and it's surrounding "glow" change because of small deviations in the surface of the wall but the dots and the line do not change, it seems like a "static" pattern.

Is this normal with all laser (I am not compaining about the quality of the laser, because it is plenty bright and the power does not seem to be compromised by this.) or is it something that should not happen and can be fixed by realigning the lense?

Last edited by a moderator:

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
Here's a wild guess....but did you turn the laser on without removing the green sticker at the front? If the laser burned the sticker some smoke might have gotten on the lens, which blurs the beam. It should be that your lens is just dirty. You'll have to take off the front cap and clean the lens.

Madz

Enlightened
Nope I had the sticker off before i put batteries in it. I should try to clean the lense anyway. This laser kicks a lot of ***. Whats the best way to remove the cap?

ajohnson

Newly Enlightened
Ok, these aren't very good pics, but there's 3 lasers in each shot.

From top to bottom in every pic:

PGL-IIIA
atlasnova - leadlight 105
vital spirit - leadlight 105

pglbeam.jpg

pglbeam1.jpg

pglbeam2.jpg

You can barely see the atlasnova & the vital spirit one is almost invisible. The atlasnova beam has been great for pointing out stars & the space station at night, it's noticably brighter than the vital spirit to the naked eye. Both were pot modded to highest brightness by eye, but I'm not sure there was really any difference in the atlasnova one.

I took the pics with an olympus C-750uz. 1st pic was set to manual shutter speed/auto aperature - 10 second exposure. Not sure what aperature it picked. After that I switched to full manual and picked 16 second shutter with f2.8 aperature.

My ampmeter only does 200ma then 10a, so on the 10a setting it looks like the pgl draws about 300ma, the atlasnova about 330ma, and the vital spirit about 270ma. I have the vital spirit pointer disassembled atm while I see about modding it. I don't think I'm gonna mess with the atlasnova one, I like it the way it is.

My x/y galvo setup (with cheap galvo's) is only suitable for lissajous patterns & such as I already posted in the other thread. I did build a 2-channel parallel port DAC circuit that seems to work pretty fast (too fast for these!). I'm going to try and get some better galvos :p

Last edited:

-FX-

Newly Enlightened
Madz said:
Is this normal with all laser (I am not compaining about the quality of the laser, because it is plenty bright and the power does not seem to be compromised by this.) or is it something that should not happen and can be fixed by realigning the lense?

It seems that there is anything on your lense, maybe some dust etc. I had several lasers before and i know this problem if the beam looks like this. I cleaned my lasers with some soft paper from the kitchen and alcohol. Put some cleaning alcohol (i used isopropyl alcohol) on one edge of the paper and twist this edge until it fits in the lasers hole to reach the lense. When you reach the lense turn your laser 1-2 times in ONE direction. Put it out the hole an turn on your laser and look what the dot looks like. Remain it few times if needed.

You can try to remove the shutter lense too, but ask Ninja how to make it. I dont know.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Uh guys ... please ... no pics of >5mW outside. Please refresh yourself on our strict and sometimes unpleasant policies. Sorry.
I will edit out the pics and leave the thread open.
bernhard

Madz

Enlightened
I dont know why you removed my images. Those were pictures of me shooting my wall inside my living room.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
I just twisted mine and it came off. Depending on how much threadlock they put on, you'll have to twist harder.

floscherl

Newly Enlightened
Received mine yesterday :goodjob:

AWESOME laser, thanks a lot for this GB!

Madz

Enlightened

Do you untwist the threaded part on top? or the whole thing that includes the shutter as well as the piece with the red and green dots?

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
Got mine as well today, havent had much of a chance to use it yet. Thanks for organising this GB Ninja.
marc