Phasing Out Alkalines

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope this topic hasn't been exhausted ... I did search first. (The absent beating-a-dead-horse icon would've saved me three words. Too insensitive nowadays?) Anyway ... as some of you have already done, I've figured the higher cost of lithium primary cells are a better value in that they won't ruin remotes, radios, lights, meters, or anything important. Plus, they're superior for Wisconsin's winter temps.

When they're in stock, the local Fleet Farm has the AA & AAA Energizer Ultimates in larger packs for $1 per cell. Not too long ago $2.50 - $3 was common. That's competitive with even sale-priced alks.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Local Costco has had Energizer L91s in stock - 20 for $17 - for about 2 months now; I've snagged a few packs for standby usage. However, I use low-self-discharge NiMH for almost everything now - lower cost of ownership and closed-loop logistics relative to primaries.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course, NiMH cells are better for many uses, but some items only require new batteries every several years. IIRC lithiums have a wider temperature range than LSDs. I haven't had an LSD cell badly leak yet, after many years and many cells. If they do leak might metal parts or contacts be corroded?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Of course, NiMH cells are better for many uses, but some items only require new batteries every several years. IIRC lithiums have a wider temperature range than LSDs. I haven't had an LSD cell badly leak yet, after many years and many cells. If they do leak might metal parts or contacts be corroded?

I'm with you that there are use cases where you want the performance - thermal, current, shelf life - of lithium. And yes, NiMH seems to have its environmental limits not far outside of the range of alkalines. For me those use cases tend to be preparedness related - i.e. glove box, bugout bag, etc.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with you that there are use cases where you want the performance - thermal, current, shelf life - of lithium. And yes, NiMH seems to have its environmental limits not far outside of the range of alkalines. For me those use cases tend to be preparedness related - i.e. glove box, bugout bag, etc.

Eneloops work fine down to -20C, and even colder if you don't need high drain. I use them in outdoor thermometers down to -30C. If you get colder than that, then yes, you're stuck buying over-priced disposable lithium cells.