Philips LED "Basic Bulb": so cheap they sell them in pairs

poiihy

Enlightened
I was at Home Depot to buy a couple 75W eq. Cree bulbs for an outdoor application next to the garage door. There were 6500k (?!) 100W eq. CFLs installed there when I moved in. One was shattered... needless to say I let that one air out for a while before I returned to clean up the mess.

I noticed that these new 60W and 100W equivalent Philips bulbs have no restriction against enclosed fixtures stated on the package. I was surprised by that fact and decided to get two of the 100W eq. Philips model instead. They're quite a bit cheaper here than the dimmer Cree bulbs and only use one more watt.

They're on a photosensor and therefore on all night. I did some quick math and expect them to last about 3 years in this application. Over that time the energy savings over the CFLs will pay for the bulbs and a little more.

The lamps themselves have "NOT FOR USE IN TOTALLY ENCLOSED LUMINAIRES" printed on the base.

amd20x6

Newly Enlightened
The lamps themselves have "NOT FOR USE IN TOTALLY ENCLOSED LUMINAIRES" printed on the base.

As discussed above, I'm going to hold Philips to the marketing found online and on the boxes. If one dies I'll file a warranty claim and I won't be happy if they deny it.

jthj

Newly Enlightened
I do think it's a little miss leading of them to put that on the bulb and not the box as you're going to make the decision in the store based on what's in the box. In fact I suspect that's why they made that decision.

jthj

Newly Enlightened
I have a pair I'm using a bathroom (non enclosed) and I am very impressed with their diffusion brightness and overall quality of light. I would agree with the others that as long as you don't need dimming and do not plan to use them in a fully enclosed fixture these are a very good choice.

petrochemicals

Newly Enlightened
All work great. They have even light distribution and surprisingly less hum than my Philips 424382 / 429258 bulbs (60W eq). This is despite the apparent lack of potting compound. I can only hear them when my ear is almost touching the bulb.

120Hz flicker as revealed by my phone camera is roughly on par with a 100W incandescent and the older 451906.

Will not the 120htz hum be because of poor ac/dc smoothing via the capacitor? 60htz doubled? Seems to be the answer that jumps off the page, or is that a universally understood concept around here?

Nice review, I would have liked to have seen the led spread angle after you took the diffuser off but before you took the base apart, as that maybe why they diffuse so well, depending on the angle. The bulb is very round and the leds are arranged in a random manner, so there angle may be very broad.

nitebrite

Enlightened
I just started another thread in regard to this sort of. well, it went in that direction at least. these consumers are sorely mistaken. these are people that are misers not want the best technology duh. I am then very miffed right now. I took drastic measures to cut my electric bill. not just lighting. the most efficient appliances on smart home cycling max saving. just everything the most efficient I can get then cycle or turn it off. my network even has intel smart engines running. my bill simply will not go any lower. however if I told you the size of the home and the bill amount I think you would be very impressed nonetheless. I do not however attribute this savings much to led bulbs. your ac/fridges etc is the big hogs. of course I spent much more on appliances smart home then I will ever see back on my bill. I just take relish lowering my footprint. I can run the whole house on generac but not sure natural gas is cheaper than electricity. to run the whole house guzzles the vapor.

petrochemicals

Newly Enlightened
At least with Triac Dimmers (And general phase-cut dimmers), the noise is not at 120/100 Hz, but higher frequencies, typically low KHz and has more to do with magnetics. Poor smoothing of the AC would have 0 impact on audible noise.

The flicker was more about the 120 htz, as I think I am rigt that we dont hear 120 htz. The hum I thought was probably a puse of higher frequency at 120 bpm.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Last week I had one of these burn out..
lasted a bit over a year: run everyday averaging 12hrs/day > used as an outdoor light
(8.5W version)

Still a decent value.

Last edited: