Phosphor conversion of photons in LEDs & photon recycling efficiency

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Phosphor conversion of photons in LEDs

I haven't gotton into lenses yet in the simulations. It might take me a while.

The equation has been proven many times over. The important thing here is that it can be applied from the Candela measurement back to the light. The lens can't be any bigger than 36mm if that is the diameter. You can't "cheat" this system.

I don't believe the 260kcd number with the current information regarding this light. It could be inaccurate for a number of reasons:
  1. It's very, very difficult to get accurate optical measurements, 10% would be very good
  2. The accuracy of a luxmeter always needs to be considered
  3. Cheap luxmeters have problems with wavelengths at the edges of the visible spectrum (blue and red light) because of the shifted bell curve of their filters
    1. The Osram Black Flat has a high content of blue light in it's spectrum, so the varriance between the values measured by different luxmeters should be higher compared to greenish de-domed Cree leds
  4. Is 36mm really the actual optical diameter of the aspheric lens in this light? Does it have a coating? What type of glass is it made of?

The Osram Black Flat is sold in different Bins, but you never know which one you get and even then there is a high variance in performance between different LEDs. Maybe vinh got LEDs from a reel with a very high bin which nobody has tested before. Is his 260kcd the average of all his lights or the best one he measured?

Has anybody confirmed this value (measured in a reasonable distance) and also measured other ANSI-specified, unmodified lights with the same setup?

With the standard equation using 250cd/mm^2 and 92% transmission I get 234kcd for a 36mm lens. That's only 10% less than vin's value. It's not really possible to draw any conclusions from that. It's easily in the same ballpark.

You know, thinking about it, vinh sells a ton of lights based just on their luminous intensity. He really should be using a calibrated, high-quality luxmeter for his measurements (i.e. Gossen Mavolux, Mobilux etc.) and always comparing them with unmodified lights. He is a professional after all.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic

Please note, do not "copy-paste" from PM, and please avoid taking private disagreements public.

There is an Ignore function available for your use on this forum, should you wish to make use of that, but please do not involve moderation staff here in bickering among members.

Thank you all for letting it end, and moving along now.

Enderman

Enlightened

I haven't gotton into lenses yet in the simulations. It might take me a while.

The equation has been proven many times over. The important thing here is that it can be applied from the Candela measurement back to the light. The lens can't be any bigger than 36mm if that is the diameter. You can't "cheat" this system.
The lens is 38mm diameter but apparently there is a metal retaining ring which reduces the front diameter to 32mm, according to djozz's review.

I agree that it's probably a bad measurement by vinh, it just doesn't follow the laws of physics for a thicker lens to "amplify" the intensity of the LED more than a thin one.

Genzod

Banned

If you want to have a conversation about thick lenses principal plane equations, can you title a new thread and begin it in another forum please. This thread is about Phosphor conversion of LEDs and photon recycling efficiency.

Thank you.

Greta

Flashaholic

Please note, do not "copy-paste" from PM, and please avoid taking private disagreements public.

There is an Ignore function available for your use on this forum, should you wish to make use of that, but please do not involve moderation staff here in bickering among members.

Thank you all for letting it end, and moving along now.

Bears repeating. Read it, heed it. Won't be repeated again. Actions will be taken.