Photon Proton Pro: Under appreciated?

NotSoBrightBob

Newly Enlightened
I really liked mine and carried it often until the switch cover disintegrated. Got it replaced under warranty with some great customer service but the new switch is alot hard to activate so the light kind of went out of favor for other offerings coming in the mail.

bltkmt

Enlightened
Company says they are working on a tailswitch version of the Proton Pro, but no timing available.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I wonder if there is a hidden UI mode that would convert high to low, to low to high?

Bill

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one somewhere. It started getting a little flaky and I need to send it in, but I have to find it again.

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened
I still have mine and really like it, but my Uncle, who also gifted me the Proton Pro for Christmas several years ago, gave me a Nitecore MT10A this year for Christmas, and it's definitely an improvement on the same idea. If Proton is making an improved tail switch version, hopefully they've looked at the MT10A as something to beat!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Anyone still own/use a Proton Pro?
It's been years since I sold mine but I've always wanted to get another and replace the emitter and reflector. Great and innovative UI, not to mention the LED combo.

The Proton Pro is one of the only "CPF" lights that I ever had a non-flashaholic show me. I was looking at lights with a friend who's a pilot, without ever having mentioned any values, and he shows me that he's got this incredible little light that can emit either red, or white light, and as a result, was unfathomably expensive, having cost him $50. As a pilot, he decided that if he ever lost it, he'd get another one.

I imagine a Proton Pro with a Nichia 219 paired to a smoother reflector and an amber LED in place of the red.

mbw_151

Enlightened
I bought the Photon for the red, but a few user errors where I wasted my night adapted eyes with the white high instead of the lowest red put me off. I ended up with a Surefire F05 on my HDS which comes on low-low, about 0.1 lumens works much more consistently. I thought about disabling the white completely in the Photon, but that project keeps falling to the bottom of the list.

sc00ts19

Newly Enlightened
I have a photon freedom that has been an outstanding light. I love the ramping freedom ui and hope that with lights such as the emisar d series this feature will be more common.

I really like the idea of the proton pro, especially if they offered it with a blue secondary led for detecting fluid leaks. My guess is that would be a top seller among mechanics. My only reservation is that $70 seems a little steep in today's market. Am I way off base here?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I have a photon freedom that has been an outstanding light. I love the ramping freedom ui and hope that with lights such as the emisar d series this feature will be more common.

I really like the idea of the proton pro, especially if they offered it with a blue secondary led for detecting fluid leaks. My guess is that would be a top seller among mechanics. My only reservation is that $70 seems a little steep in today's market. Am I way off base here?
Not at all. The price of the Pro has always been the biggest complaint. The 2nd biggest complaint us them not keeping up with LED technology.

That being said, I still have my Pro that I use from time to time.

Latest posts