Picking a Universa Batt. charger

Hank Zudd

Newly Enlightened
I've been eating up my rechargeable cells & need to do something better; I have looked at the Ti BC2-HU universal, the Maha MHC808D & a few others, but the budget is the Ti BC2. What ye think about that one? Any others in the less than $40 range that will recondition my AA &AAA's that I was about to throw out? I also use C's, and some D's + 9v.

One of the main issues in the house right now is my wife's Sony digita camera; got some Duracell 2650mAh's, but at 3 months old they'll only go to 80% charge (per the ZTS tester). So I'm figuring a good charger that conditions the batts. will bring these back around.

My current charger is a big box store name brand charger that's +10 yrs. old with no discharging or any other modern features.

I'm also looking for some new low, slow discharge AA's for the camera & other uses;What about the Tenergy 2600mAh's at Batt. Junction ? seem ok?

thanks guys, these days I just don't have enough time to research this on my own, plus getting a good charger is way overdue for me.

DScottHewitt

Newly Enlightened
I've been eating up my rechargeable cells & need to do something better; I have looked at the Ti BC2-HU universal, the Maha MHC808D & a few others, but the budget is the Ti BC2. What ye think about that one? Any others in the less than $40 range that will recondition my AA &AAA's that I was about to throw out? I also use C's, and some D's + 9v.

One of the main issues in the house right now is my wife's Sony digita camera; got some Duracell 2650mAh's, but at 3 months old they'll only go to 80% charge (per the ZTS tester). So I'm figuring a good charger that conditions the batts. will bring these back around.

My current charger is a big box store name brand charger that's +10 yrs. old with no discharging or any other modern features.

I'm also looking for some new low, slow discharge AA's for the camera & other uses;What about the Tenergy 2600mAh's at Batt. Junction ? seem ok?

thanks guys, these days I just don't have enough time to research this on my own, plus getting a good charger is way overdue for me.

This is right in the area I joined to get info on. Perfect timing. I am having problems with some DuraCells holding a charge for more than a few weeks. I would be very interested in input in this area, too.

Russel

Enlightened
Although it may be over your budget, I highly recommend the Maha MH-C808M if you can only afford one charger. The ultimate equipment, in my opinion, is the MH-C808M and a MH-C9000 charger.

I use a MH-C808M for charging and cycling C and D Nimh cells and a MH-C9000 for AA and AAA cells.

It is possible to use a MH-C9000 for all sized, AAA, AA, C, and D, but that would require you to make an adapter for external C and D cell holders. The C9000 does provide information about the charge and discharge cycles tha the C808M doesn't.

A couple of places to purchase the MH-C808M:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ies+++Chargers-_-Maha+Energy+Corp.-_-17355001

and

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/s...html?SP_id=&osCsid=fs17972mto0cepcf9ikhbatek3

and the MH-C9000:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817355014

and

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/s...html?SP_id=&osCsid=6dgp3m9tsvht77bonp78maub94

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
By universal you mean NiMH only, but all sizes from AAA through D?

As Russel said, the Maha range would be good to look at.

Do note that a percentage reading on NiMH cells from the ZTS tester is very unreliable, and that 80% reading is essentially meaningless as a measure of the cell capacity.

Also note that any cell with a stated capacity above 2000 mAh will have a tendency to be fragile, to wear out more quickly, and to have a capacity in normal use less than what the label says.

If you are considering new low self-discharge cells (a very good plan), ignore anything with a stated capacity above 2000 mAh or so. Extra high capacity is not compatible with low self-discharge properties.

Eneloops are the benchmark for this kind of cell and to be honest you couldn't go far wrong with those.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Hank Zudd,

Just for reference, my Duracell cells register 100% on the ZTS tester after a full charge...

Tom

DScottHewitt

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure if I need to start a whole new thread, since my problem seems to be kind of related to what the OP talked about. Here's an example. I charged all the DuraCells right before Thanksgiving. {For a family gathering we ended up missing because of illness.}

First week of December, almost every set of batteries was so low that they would flash the little red "replace batteries" icon in the Canon PowerShot A530.

So, little over a week, almost dead.

I am careful to never mix MaH ratings or anything when I charge batteries. What I do {being anal} is keep each pair of batteries in a little plastic baggie inside the camera case front pocket. Those two batteries stay together for the lifetime of their use, and are charged together.

I don't think I am messing up charging them, but I would think that they would hold at least SOME charge for a week or so.

I think they are maybe three years old. Perhaps every set has just outlived its usefulness?

Rexlion

Enlightened
I looked at the same thing a month ago. I thought hard about the Titanium MD-3000. But in the end I liked the features of the Maha C9000 too well. I decided I could always fudge along with the old charger for the occasional C or D. The AAA and AA batteries are the ones that see the most action by far and need the most care. But if you do get a universal, consider the MD-3000. It's not much more money than the BC2-HU but can charge at up to 1600mA instead of just 700mA.

Conan

Newly Enlightened

I would consider a ZTS reading of 80% charge for 3 month old batteries acceptable. Like what Mr. Happy said, ZTS readings of NiMH batteries are not very accurate.

Russel

Enlightened
...I charged all the DuraCells right before Thanksgiving. {For a family gathering we ended up missing because of illness.}

First week of December, almost every set of batteries was so low that they would flash the little red "replace batteries" icon in the Canon PowerShot A530.

So, little over a week, almost dead...

Are they Low Self Discharge DuraCells ?

Last edited:

Hank Zudd

Newly Enlightened
thanks for all the imput= I went with the Ti MD 3000, as I use alot C's;

how are the Ti Innovations 123's; got some of those to restock that group

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are different views of what a quality universal charger is. In my case, I expanded my scope to list every single charger in the house, with a goal to replace as many as possible. This included lawn and garden tools, drill chargers, r/c car, etc. I decided to keep the laptop and cell phones off the list.

The charger I wanted was a Schultze, but what I ended up with was a Triton II. It was the only charger that could actually charge every single item I have. Price wise, with a power supply, nearly $ 200, but I would have spent that much anyway on replacing some chargers that were dying, or killing batteries with their dumb chargers.

So in summary, consider making a list of what chargers you have, and if one really decent charger can eliminate most of them.

Russel

Enlightened
thanks for all the imput= I went with the Ti MD 3000, as I use alot C's;

how are the Ti Innovations 123's; got some of those to restock that group

If you get a chance, let us know how you like the charger once you get a chance to use it.

Hank Zudd

Newly Enlightened
but of course; I've many D's that don't wanna play anymore, but I have a light I use at work all the time that uses them.